Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Royal Navy " specifications " ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Royal Navy " specifications " ?

Whoa, daddy ! First glance at this file indicates 68 classes of vessels with hundreds of craft to account for. Don't expect this any time soon. I'd say towards the end of the year. GREEN file will take until early July...

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, I have now completed converting the PREFACE of this file including eight pages of INDEX showing 2,483 vessels in service at wars end. 95.48 % yet to go... The GREEN file is 60.28 % done...

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a taste of whats to come...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Greetings to all ! The " GREEN LIST " dated December 11, 1944 of LANDING ships, craft and barges has been posted to my website under GREEN file 30C: ( Search ) Mercantile Convoy CU 49 of 1944 by Mark C. Keever. One hundred forty one pages of data, listings & etc. can be found. Some 5,471 coxswains likely learned their trade courtesy of the Royal Navy, then, after the war, plied the waters of your home town in pleasure craft. Way back when, my initial inquiry about R.N. vessel characteristics ZOOMS forward. Now, 16.02 % converted...

- - - Updated - - -

Greetings to all ! The " GREEN LIST " dated December 11, 1944 of LANDING ships, craft and barges has been posted to my website under GREEN file 30C: ( Search ) Mercantile Convoy CU 49 of 1944 by Mark C. Keever. One hundred forty one pages of data, listings & etc. can be found. Some 5,471 coxswains likely learned their trade courtesy of the Royal Navy, then, after the war, plied the waters of your home town in pleasure craft. Way back when, my initial inquiry about R.N. vessel characteristics ZOOMS forward. Now, 16.02 % converted...

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quick update. Now 52.98 % converted on the vessel characteristics. I knock out about six pages a day involving cropping, editing & etc. In the mean time, I press forward with work on my main website. Presently, I'm trying to identify the 12 L.S.T.'s involved in the GOLD beach assault group 18 on June 6, 1944. I have copies of the landing tables, however, they use " index " numbers NOT actual vessel numbers. So far, I can confirm one vessel: U.S.S. LST-493 using index number 2825. You can see that on the attachment. I'm on my third attempt with the KEW for ADM 199/1624 for some kind of conversion chart ( lucky me ! ) to confirm the other 11 vessels. By finding a distribution list of orders from ONEAST/G dated May 20, 1944, I think I've narrowed down the list. It sure would help a brother out if anyone has thoughts on where / how to speed up the process WITHOUT having to request deck log books... THANK-YOU !
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another week draws to a close with an update. Vessel characteristics are now 61.60 % converted. Regarding the L.S.T. business, the KEW now reports their file is over 600 pages long and NOT easily organized. I'm pretty sure I've identified three of the 12 vessels placing the British 56th & 151st Infantry Brigades ashore at Normandy during Operation Neptune. Nine more are good candidates. Worse case, another seven may be considered. " My " researcher in Washington, D.C. will now scour NARA @ College Park for U.S.N. log books. That appears to be the quickest & cheapest way to confirm who was involved with assault group 18 at GOLD beach. At least FOLD3 has a huge muster roll file and I can start to acknowledge the " transport " personnel who made this critical movement possible...

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Listening to a radio correspondent from UK this morning I found it hard to believe what he told about the 'Senior Service'
    Only 13 Frigates and about 10 Destroyers and one air craft carrier newly built and leaking but with no aircraft???

What happened??
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Ken Norton, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that fellow was working with bad data. " My " file indicates that during the war years ( 1939 - 1945 ), by June of 1946, some 24 aircraft carriers of various classes and 97 Fleet Destroyers were built, being built or projected for service...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Work creeps forward on the " WAR VESSELS " particulars for " close of business " at wars end, 1945. Now 86.24 % complete. At the same time, I'm converting 26 pages of KEW file ADM 210/8. This deals with UNITED STATES landing ships and landing craft in the U.K. corrected to June 5, 1944. By assault beach, an order of battle for the invasion of France ( Operation Neptune ) will be seen. This is a supplement to another 145 pages of GREEN LIST showing the British manned vessels. All three files will be added to my website...
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, it only took all summer, or for you folks living upside down and enjoying winter football, to complete my initial inquiry. Getting valuable direction from Sonya Whitburn of the Royal Navy Command Headquarters in Portsmouth, the massive 489 page file of the 2,483 Commonwealth WARSHIPS that survived World War Two has been posted to GREEN FILE 30D of my website. Search: Mercantile Convoy CU 49 of 1944 by Mark C. Keever. Also, the U.S. landing vessel file, as noted above, was entered into the world wide web as GREEN FILE 32C. Presently, I'm working up the British landing vessels involved with the Normandy invasion. Up next, I'll see what the auxiliary vessels business looks like...

18. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast