Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Royal Navy " specifications " ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Royal Navy " specifications " ?

The KEW responded with a page check that produced an index of eight pages for ADM 239-76 ( October 1945 - Particulars... ). That index contains names of hundreds of major warships. I will convert that data and tally up the total number. I still have NO clue as to what this file actually looks like. So, another 8.40 Pounds is sent off to gain page checks of two individual warships. Then, they will want more money to get those pages copied and sent to me. Bureaucracy at its best ! Still, it is forward progress...

2. Thanks Chris Allman, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At first glance, this " particulars " index contains some 2,400 ( warship ? ) vessel names...

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Playing a critical role in the defense of the home waters were the minor war vessels. Corrected to December 10, 1944 by type of service and location, the RED LIST of an estimated 5,192 craft is seen in GREEN FILE 30A in my website ( 96 pages ). Searchable or by using the index, these anti-submarine, barges, boats, drifters, fishing vessels, gunboats, launches, lighters, minesweepers, torpedo boats and trawlers are truly “ LITTLE GIANTS “ and recognized. Respecting Brian Probetts' bandwidth on this website, I will not post a direct link. You, will need to search and locate this file on: Mercantile Convoy CU 49 of 1944 by Mark C. Keever...

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having reviewed eight pages of index within file ADM239/76, some 2,482 individual vessels are listed. Since the file is dated October 1945, it is effective the " close " of hostilities for " Particulars of war vessel and aircraft ( British commonwealth of nations ) half yearly returns ". I am awaiting two pages of content from the KEW to see what this file actually contains. At that point, I will decide if I want to get the entire 487 pages of characteristics for $ 753.81 U.S.D. OR just teach you how to locate YOUR own warship and spend your money...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now have at hand ADM 208-30 ( RED LIST ( Part II ) Minor War Vessels ABROAD ) dated 13 December 1944. First glance indicates another 3,000 vessels in 70 ports WORLDWIDE. Another three weeks of converting these smaller support craft & etc.

9. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finally, progress on the R.N. specifications ! As you can see, it appears to be fairly comprehensive for close of business at wars end. I wish the crew complement detail was available... Now, I value your opinion. Is anything more missing or warrants further action ? Any thoughts are welcomed !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another 2,852 minor war vessels have been placed into the world wide web for examination. These are located ABROAD dated December 13, 1944. Such far a way locales as Chittagong, India ( Bangladesh ) and the Russell Islands in the Solomon chain are noted. You will need to search Green file 30B in my website: Mercantile Convoy CU 49 of 1944 by Mark C. Keever. Up next, the GREEN LIST of landing ships & etc. This will be done sometime over the summer...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What to expect from the GREEN LIST... Some 141 pages to convert ! GREEN LIST - 11 December 1944 - Title Page - ADM 210 - 11 - 001.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GREEN LIST now 23 % converted. Sample page attached. Slow slogging, will take a good three weeks to finish yet. Then, 487 pages of the R.N. vessel " specifications " dated close of the war, October of 1945 have been ordered in...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I now hold a copy of the U.K. National Archives ( KEW ) file ADM 239/76. Known as " Particulars of War Vessels " ( October of 1945 ), it is massive in scope at 487 pages and 1,470,558 KB of data. I will be a tired, broken down old man before this business gets converted for use. Wait, I'm already am that. So, this extents my usefulness. Also, the GREEN file is now 48.23 % converted. The world is uphill with the wind in your face, yet, press on...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast