Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Post WW1 Sailor

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Post WW1 Sailor

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Pirrie View Post
    Regarding his RFA service

It could be me on the wrong track but, I see RFA as Royal Fleet Auxiliary, giving some kind of nautical link.

Hence, my asking.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's definitely Royal Field Artillery. He was a Bombardier serving with 53rd Brigade (9th Scottish Division). He did preliminary training at No 1 Depot Royal Field Artillery in Newcastle and in May 1915 he embarked to France with his Brigade as part of BEF (British Expeditionary Force). He was a bombardier with the Howitzer Battery who he was with when wounded and hospitalised in December 1915 and he was there until July 1918 when just after being promoted to Serjeant he moved to Labour Corps (Prisoner of War Corps) and according to his war record returned to England in November 1918. All this information direct from his war record. Army No was originally 33389 but became 572860 on his move to Labour Corps. I also have his three medals with the army numbers engraved.
    Still a bit of a puzzle about maritime link but it certainly confirms the story of him being a baker at some time in his life. Only wish I had been old enough to discuss all of this with him while he was alive !!!

3. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Got that thanks,

I was clutching at straws.

Fingers crossed for more.

Regards,

Keith.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone for contributing. Number as I see it could be 881283 as above or possibly 887283 ? Regarding his RFA service I am fortunate enough to have his full "New Soldier" record from WO 363 giving details of his first signing up in September 1914 right through to his discharge in December 1918. It includes his leave to get married to Hannah, mentions his time in hospital after being wounded and his transfer to Labour Corps before he was discharged in December 1918 to coal mining duties. A fascinating document to have.
    Yes now I do see 881283 or 887283 however as the Number is on that Document it should be correct.however with all my confusion that is still the same number we have and is in fact his ID Number not his Discharge Number,so the search goes on.
    Don't know how we will find that Discharge Number~?? I was looking at the ADM Files Yesterday and it could be within that Seaction,i downloaded a lot of large Files from the NA Free ,but as yet no name that matches,the was one but with wrong dates and first name!
    Will continue the search.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Still a bit of a puzzle about maritime link but it certainly confirms the story of him being a baker at some time in his life. Only wish I had been old enough to discuss all of this with him while he was alive !!!

Your doing well after just a few days,

fingers crossed for more.

K.

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2