Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Question about salary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Question about salary

i had to come ashore the same day i was given the chance for cadet midshipman free to me and told blue funnel i was leaving the next day i herd there was a job going on howards tugs i waited at the gates for captain brown he parked right at the far end of the car park by the time i got neer he was shaking hands with a fella as soon as he seen me he said you have come for the job on the tugs i have just hired him we talked for a while and another car pulled in next to his morning captain he said morning les then les have you got any work for this mate of mine yes les said ever driven machines yes i said i drove cranes and a front loader and that was it 12 hour shifts 7 days a week and the money rolled in i got another year out of my dad though and looked after mam untill she was 82?jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont know what Blue Funnel charged for a Cadetship /Midshipman but an ordinary apprenticeship cost nothing except your soul which the owners took quiet willingly. Your parents only had to sign a bond that they would pay 30 pounds if you failed to complete 4 years serfdom. To me it would have been much easier to have come up the hawse pipe and have money to pay for your needs when required. Anything else is a fallacy. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

john although i loved the sea my duty was to family like all here we miss the sea and would do anything just for one more go around the block but thats life? i am at a party next week the whole family of mine will be there the first time all together new babies and all that should cost me a few bob its only money. jp

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Bill Cameron, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, you may be able to answer this one living as you do in WA.

There are many Ore shipments go from there and I am informed some coal and grain.

Are the ships Australian owned or foreign?
    What nationality are most of the crew?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All the ships I have seen in Fremantle have been foreign flag for years , and even prior to retiring all the vessels I saw grain and ore sailing out of Dampier cannot remember a British Ship , Geraldton which I used to visit often for personal reasons used to always have 2 or 3 large bulkers waiting to get alongside the grain wharf , but never anything but foreign flag , and was rare to even see their crews ashore and were always from 3rd world countries if you did. British Shipping doesn’t exist in this part of the world . The only time I have seen the Red Ensign over here was I think about 2012 was just before that member from Dunedin died as went to see him when down there ,and was the ferry going from North Island to South Island and she was registered in Portsmouth but doubt if she is still the same by now. She had a kiwi crew of course. As I said in one other post all the offshore vessels I sailed on here were registered elsewhere , however could never get an Australian Red Ensign big enough , so just flew the national flag , whether breaking maritime law or not , they mostly all did the same, flag etiquette the same as other things, ain’t what they used ter be. JS ...
    R575129

8. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3