Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Question about salary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Question about salary

i had to come ashore the same day i was given the chance for cadet midshipman free to me and told blue funnel i was leaving the next day i herd there was a job going on howards tugs i waited at the gates for captain brown he parked right at the far end of the car park by the time i got neer he was shaking hands with a fella as soon as he seen me he said you have come for the job on the tugs i have just hired him we talked for a while and another car pulled in next to his morning captain he said morning les then les have you got any work for this mate of mine yes les said ever driven machines yes i said i drove cranes and a front loader and that was it 12 hour shifts 7 days a week and the money rolled in i got another year out of my dad though and looked after mam untill she was 82?jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont know what Blue Funnel charged for a Cadetship /Midshipman but an ordinary apprenticeship cost nothing except your soul which the owners took quiet willingly. Your parents only had to sign a bond that they would pay 30 pounds if you failed to complete 4 years serfdom. To me it would have been much easier to have come up the hawse pipe and have money to pay for your needs when required. Anything else is a fallacy. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

john although i loved the sea my duty was to family like all here we miss the sea and would do anything just for one more go around the block but thats life? i am at a party next week the whole family of mine will be there the first time all together new babies and all that should cost me a few bob its only money. jp

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, you may be able to answer this one living as you do in WA.

There are many Ore shipments go from there and I am informed some coal and grain.

Are the ships Australian owned or foreign?
    What nationality are most of the crew?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All the ships I have seen in Fremantle have been foreign flag for years , and even prior to retiring all the vessels I saw grain and ore sailing out of Dampier cannot remember a British Ship , Geraldton which I used to visit often for personal reasons used to always have 2 or 3 large bulkers waiting to get alongside the grain wharf , but never anything but foreign flag , and was rare to even see their crews ashore and were always from 3rd world countries if you did. British Shipping doesn’t exist in this part of the world . The only time I have seen the Red Ensign over here was I think about 2012 was just before that member from Dunedin died as went to see him when down there ,and was the ferry going from North Island to South Island and she was registered in Portsmouth but doubt if she is still the same by now. She had a kiwi crew of course. As I said in one other post all the offshore vessels I sailed on here were registered elsewhere , however could never get an Australian Red Ensign big enough , so just flew the national flag , whether breaking maritime law or not , they mostly all did the same, flag etiquette the same as other things, ain’t what they used ter be. JS ...
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stumbled upon your insightful post from a couple of years back, shedding light on the maritime scene in Fremantle and beyond. Your firsthand experiences offer a fascinating glimpse into the dynamics of global shipping, particularly the prevalence of foreign-flagged vessels in the region. It's intriguing how maritime traditions evolve over time, reflecting changes in the industry. On a different note, have you ever explored Games That Pay Instantly to Cash App? It's an interesting platform that merges entertainment with potential earnings, offering a unique avenue for leisure.
    Last edited by rohitkhan; 9th March 2024 at 02:12 PM.

9. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI John.
    That is why I get so incensed when Albanese or Dutton, [for English readers our PM and opposition leader] keep calling for the China sea to be kept open, we don't have any Merchant ships, the majority of ships passing through there are Chinese or mainly Asian, It gives shore Walla people of Aus the wrong impression.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#26 Are you a seaman yourself, I have worked for Indian owners, Hong Kong Owners, Malaysian Owners, U.S. owners, British Owners , Singapore Owners, Australian Owners, and probably more have forgotten their nationality. The only ones who regularly flew the flag of their true nationality was the British flag up until the last decades of the 20 th century in the quest for cheaper running of ships they too saw the light due to the laxity of foreign regulations.The main reductions of cost I can only assume the larger savings are the large costs of insurance that properly run vessels incur. Those who do insure their vessels correctly possibly finish their life by having barratry committed against them, which one never hears too much about. That is not a game that any sane person would commit. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But even today there is confusion as to where a ship is from.

Many containers will have names as port of registry which most may never have heard of.
    Then cruise ships which fly the Red Duster but registered in a Carribean island, which is still a British protectorate.

Then many are registered in Hamilton, now would that be Hamilton NZ, or Hamilton Scotland, take your pick.
    But it is Hamilton in Carribean.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or Hamilton Bermuda, or Hamilton Canada ? JS
    Used to be the Red Ensign you saw if from one of the protectorates had something on the fly of the flag to distinguish it from the genuine flag. If they are not doing that today then they are breaking the law. They call it false pretences , the same as someone using a false name. Registering a ship in a foreign port and flying a British proper ensign would double the offence. One of the N- S island NZ ferries flew the Red Ensign and was registered in Portsmouth the correct thing to do . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th March 2024 at 06:51 AM.
    R575129

16. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast