Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Passenger ships from Ireland to Liverpool

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Passenger ships from Ireland to Liverpool

Hi everyone, was wondering where do I find passenger ship lists of people arriving from Ireland to Liverpool? Does this exist? or is there some other form or immigration records I can source? New at this so not sure what is available and where to look! All suggestions most welcome

Kathryn in NZ

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Passenger ships from Ireland to Liverpool

Hello
    This may or may not help??
    Just a start I am sure more will appear given time Kathryn
    Cheers

Ireland Passenger Lists, 1858 - 1870

https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit....o-Britain.html

Can you supply any names and dates at all we may then be able to assist even more!
    Cheers

https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit....o-England.html
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 14th May 2018 at 09:20 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Consider also:

From 1848 to 1950 over six million adults and children experienced emigration from Queenstown, County Cork, Ireland. Over 2.5 million Irish departed from Cobh, making it the single most important port of emigration.
    This exodus from Ireland was largely a result of poverty, crop failures, the land system, and a lack of opportunity. Irish emigration from Queenstown, County Cork, Ireland reached unprecedented proportions during the famine, as people fled from hunger and disease.

The port of Queenstown was named for Queen Victoria. It was in 1849 that the Queen first visited the small seaport known as Cobh (Irish for Cove) on the Southern Coast of Ireland. After the Irish independence of 1922, the town was renamed Cobh and became Ireland's most strategic point of emigration, witnessing Ireland's sorrowful release of its treasured sons and daughters to brighter and better things in the New World.

The early Cobh, renamed Queenstown then returned to and again now Cobh can be confusing if not known.

Cobh was what became Queenstown and as said is again Cobh.

K.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Steeman View Post
    Hi everyone, was wondering where do I find passenger ship lists of people arriving from Ireland to Liverpool? Does this exist? or is there some other form or immigration records I can source? New at this so not sure what is available and where to look! All suggestions most welcome

Kathryn in NZ

Back home after a few days away, will reply better ASAP.

Keith.

8. Thanks Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for reply Vernon, please find attached a copy of James George Maloney's marriage cert. Married Dec 25th 1896. Father's name Alfred Maloney from Certificate.
    Also attached 1891 & 1881 census results from FMP. 1881 marked entry is only one in England that didn't have father listed as Mother was listed as widow. From this looks like the family maybe came from Ireland around 1870-1872. In the 1891 results sheet there are only 2 possibilities as again the others list father's name and it is not Alfred. No: 1 on 1891 census has the person listed as Horsekeeper, which ties in with what we know about him that he was a delivery horse & cart man for breweries and others. No: 2 on 1891 census has him in Wales as a lodger. Emily James is welsh or welsh decent still trying to trace her birth records. Hopefully something will be sent to me end of week. Trying to see whether he was born in UK, conceived in Ireland but born in UK or born in Ireland? His father's name Alfred doesn't come up in census records that I can see?? Have a look at the attachments and see what you think?? He would not have been in any forces as he was only 4 foot 9in 1/2 ( woe betide anyone that forgot the half! lol)
    Cheers
    Kathryn

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to say I have James George Maloney's death cert, he died 1963 at age 92. So born 1871/1872 probably.

Cheers
    Kathryn

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Kathryn
    All very interesting and I too have now looked at FMP but as you cannot get any records of Passengers from Ireland (well not what you are after)
    Most records show Immigration of others to places like USA,Canada etc bit nothing like Liverpool!
    But I know that we will keep looking and if anything should come up will advise for sure!
    Keith may yet find something on the basis of what you have given
    Keep the Book open! LOL
    cHEERS

R697530

12. Thanks Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon, from Ireland to Liverpool at that time would be similar to now, a ferry service.

Now you may have top book and your name registered but in those times you could just arrive at the dock, pay the fare and on you went.
    Very often the ferry would be overcrowded with Irish persons still attempting to escape the after effect of the potato famine and other problems of the times.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks Kathryn Steeman, Doc Vernon, Brenda Shackleton thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John,thanks for your input. Was wondering this myself as time period I am looking at Ireland wasn't independent and very much under the British thumb. Like a lot of other places! Vernon I tried FMP and struck the same , everything about immigration to USA but not UK. Not great that the Births, deaths & marriages I am looking for are during the periods where there aren't a lot of records! Just my luck! will still endeavour to get to the bottom of things not giving up.

Cheers

Kathryn in NZ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does not look promising at all Kathryn

Migration by Sea within the British Isles

No official records were ever kept of passengers travelling by sea within the British Isles, including Ireland. A few personal narratives survive, and in rare instances some shipping companies archives may contain information on sailings, etc.

One exception is the magistrate’s registers for the deportation home to Ireland and Scotland from Liverpool. These cover 1801-1835, and are available at Lancashire Record Office, Bow Lane, Preston, PR1 2RE (Email: record.office@ed.lancscc.gov.uk).

Bibliography

R697530

17. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    Consider also:

From 1848 to 1950 over six million adults and children experienced emigration from Queenstown, County Cork, Ireland. Over 2.5 million Irish departed from Cobh, making it the single most important port of emigration.
    This exodus from Ireland was largely a result of poverty, crop failures, the land system, and a lack of opportunity. Irish emigration from Queenstown, County Cork, Ireland reached unprecedented proportions during the famine, as people fled from hunger and disease.

The port of Queenstown was named for Queen Victoria. It was in 1849 that the Queen first visited the small seaport known as Cobh (Irish for Cove) on the Southern Coast of Ireland. After the Irish independence of 1922, the town was renamed Cobh and became Ireland's most strategic point of emigration, witnessing Ireland's sorrowful release of its treasured sons and daughters to brighter and better things in the New World.

The early Cobh, renamed Queenstown then returned to and again now Cobh can be confusing if not known.

Cobh was what became Queenstown and as said is again Cobh.

K.
    Don't misread the question Keith. Ireland to "Liverpool".

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast