Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Union Castle

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Union Castle

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Cmn Ivan, i do remember on some ships there were goggles, and sometimes even allowed a fender to sit on !!!! kt
    ##on joining the cragmoor i asked the cook after he presented me with a sack of tatties ..is there a spud peeler ...your the xxxxxxx potato peeler .now 45 hands two tatties a man 90 tatties......that twice a day going through the suez the new tatties arrived ....lack of water tatties the size of bleedin grapes.......5 tatties aman 225 tatties twice aday.....450 tatties then bleedin carrots then bleedin fingers .......i think it was the only time i was a chief.......must have been chief galley boy as i was the only one ......could never understand there was a chief engineer a chief mate a chief cook a chief stupid.......why was i not a chief galley boy...signed chief galley boy cappy still woe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have a look at this article Keith,look the way the typical John Limes are dressed for the gym.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Photos reveal life on board Cunard ships as cruise line celebrates 175 years | Daily Mail Online
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

3. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Keith Tindell, vic mcclymont, Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In a similar way Cappy, i arrived on my first trip deck boy, full of this new found knowledge from sea school, nice shiny new deck knife and spike etc etc, right you, now Peggy, down aft accommodation and messroom, carrying all meals from midship galley across the deck to the stern , blowing a holy, and god help if you dropped anything and incurred the wrath of the cook, very powerful man on any ship, but we all got through ok, Must admit i wondered if this life was for me !!, but better times did come , kt
    R689823

5. Likes cappy, N/A, happy daze john in oz, Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12.. today could always call yourself Chippy, that title now being vacant. Having now or then downgraded to AB/handyman, and today more than likely just plain handyman. So now we can call you Cappy the Chippy. Or the chief Ippy. Gulliver being well educated will tell you what ippy stands for . Hope this suits and you sign again on Articles for the next 2 year voyage, a new potato knife is pencilled in on the store list for you as well , a small deduction from your wages as a deposit will be in line, refundable on return of this item of ships equipment. Signed the most honourable and venerable Sir Shipowner.
    JS

7. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

camb1001.JPG

looking at the photograph . a hanky in the breast pocket , does not look right , the jacket style looks like a lounge suit , and the cap badge is an officer's style , this is not a deck steward's uniform
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well suppose i might give it some thought ......in the new world do chippies get a uniform ..but just have to do soundings once a day and make sail boats for the old man like in the old days ...but then i wouldnt be a chief .......naw i will stay chief galley boy ....get alll the juice out of the big cans of fruit three eggs a day the best bits of bacon ......the tender chicken breast......and ice cream till i threw up and when they asked why i was throwing up.....i said in a very brave voice mal de mer mate ..mal de mer .. but i will carry on at my post.....then whent back in the galley and ate ice cream till i through up againoh happy days ...cappy chief galley boy woe

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    camb1001.JPG

looking at the photograph . a hanky in the breast pocket , does not look right , the jacket style looks like a lounge suit , and the cap badge is an officer's style , this is not a deck steward's uniform
    ##mornin rob jeez glad to see you back ..was getting worried.....regards cappy

10. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rob the. Hanky could be a spare pair of knickers. Any self respecting company servant in company livery tucked their hanky up their sleeve. Runcimans cap badge anyone could wear, Cappy if re-signs on will be getting his cost. It consisted of the gold wires having an amperage of about 2 watts. A small white burgee with a big blue R on it. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th March 2018 at 11:04 AM.

Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    camb1001.JPG

Baggage master per chance??

13. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim ref 13, I think the term cruising compared to that shown there is a joke, i bet theres not many stewards drifting around with cake stand now !!, i recently spoke to a guy who has just done a cruise to Norway, don't know which company, he said when he ordered fish and chips, it came with four chips on the plate, no kidding, he was disgusted, kt
    R689823

15. Likes Jim Brady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Jim ref 13, I think the term cruising compared to that shown there is a joke, i bet theres not many stewards drifting around with cake stand now !!, i recently spoke to a guy who has just done a cruise to Norway, don't know which company, he said when he ordered fish and chips, it came with four chips on the plate, no kidding, he was disgusted, kt
    ####go on go on blame the galley boy not peeling enough lol cappy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast