Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Query on Ranks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Query on Ranks

Was that the Walport films John. Used to interchange with other ships all the time. JS .
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think "scullion" was a galley position !!!
    Dave Williams.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The term scullion....reminds me of a young guy ....not the brightest ......he was fresh with his family from ireland west coast ....i was requiring a person to work on a fusing machine .....a 6ft long by 4foot long device with rolling belts that fused cloths together at very high temps....it was reallly a soul destroying job .....warm in the winter but like the persian gulf in the summer the main part of the job was to stop the articles going back round the belts and clogging the machine up ......any way the manager set him to work and he didnt do bad ist day .....he asked me about 3 times what they called the machine as i passed were he was working ....i told him it was a fusing press ....he said his dad paddy would know all about it ......the next morning his father rang to ask what was theproper name of his job ......i said well a fusing press operator .....he stands at the back of the macine after loading it to stop anything getting stuck in the belt and clogging the whole machine up.......his father said well can you tell me WHO TOLD HIM HE WAS THE BACK SCUTTLER.....taken aback i tried hard not to laugh and said i will find out.......anyway it was one guy who said it to him ,,,so i told his father he was admonished and on a written warning which seemed to settle the matter.....ah the joys of employing folk ......R 683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Cappy, had he been a real back scutler he would have done very well on any UCL ship, and a few P&O
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes cappy liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5