Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arthur Thomas Jones R194550

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Arthur Thomas Jones R194550

I’m looking for help and/or advice in my quest to trace my late father-in-law’s merchant navy history. At the moment I am concentrating on the WW2 period. I've also tried to post this on the Shipsnostalgia web site so apologies if there is an overlap

He told me many years ago he had been torpedoed twice during the war and at some stage he had to travel across the USA by train to his next vessel.

His name was Arthur Thomas Jones (R194550) and went to sea in 1939 aged 18. He came from the Rhondda and much of his maritime activity seems centred on Cardiff.

Having worked backwards from the only indexed record of his I’ve received from Kew (National Archives), I have discovered the following:

He signed on to the SS Elisha Walker (168240) sometime in late 1941/early1942. This old ship came British registered late 1941 and sailed from British ports 3 times (Swansea & Avonmouth) the last on July 1942. After a circuitous journey it docked in San Francisco on 17/6/1943 where it reverted to the Panamanian flag and the all-British crew were dismissed. No doubt because of this change of nationality I cannot find any crew lists – does anyone know where I can find it? Could it be in a US Records Office? Without it I do not know his signing on date or previous ship.

On 15/7/1943 Arthur and other SS Elisha Walker crew members signed on to the MV British Merit in New York. This would be his train trip across the USA. The MV British Merit (168295) was not a lucky ship as it had been torpedoed on its maiden voyage in 1942 and spent many months being repaired in New York. Arthur was part of the new crew needed to take her back to the UK and he was discharged on arriving at Avonmouth on 24/8/1943.

At Cardiff on 10/11/1943 he signed on to the MV Fort Lac La Ronge (169062), and was discharged at London Docks on 30/04/1944. During this time the ship spent most of its time along the West African coast and the Mediterranean. He was summoned to re-join the ship on 13/5/1944 by which time it had been assigned to Special Operations. On 3/8/1944 she was torpedoed off Normandy and towed back to Britain but was never repaired and was broken up on 1949. Arthur was discharged on 18/9/1944, given 2 weeks “shipwreck leave” and told to report back to Cardiff Pool on 11/10/1944.

This is one of his torpedoed events but then the trail then goes cold. Can anyone advise how I can determine his vessel before SS Elisha Walker or after MV Fort Lac La Ronge?

There is one extra clue concerning the other torpedo event. Among his effects was a telegram sent to his mother from the offices of the Athel Line. A copy is attached (I hope!). Sadly the date is unreadable. I take it that they would only send such a telegram about their ships and not for other Lines. If so, assuming he joined the SS Elisha Walker at the last British port (1/7/1942) that would leave 11 Athel Line ships torpedoed before joining Elisha Walker and 2 after leaving Fort Lac La Ronge. Does anyone have the crew lists for these vessels? (They are readily available on the web but i can supply a list)

A further complication is that somewhere in the past, it had become believed that he was serving on the Mabriton when it sank on 25/9/1940. I believe this came about because an internet search showed that one Arthur Jones was indeed aboard at that time, as a fireman. However he was Arthur T Jones and usually listed as an Ordinary Seaman. Also I can find no connection between that ship and the Athel Line. If anyone has access to the Mabriton’s crew list it would be nice to confirm if this Arthur Jones is or isn’t him.

You will have probably guessed by my writing that I have never been a sailor not spent any time prior to this project delving into MN archives so apologies if I’ve used incorrect terminology but any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Colin Younger
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks N/A, Richard Quartermaine, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Arthur Thomas Jones R194550

Hello Colin,

Can you tell me what document you have from the National Archives - is it BT 391/55/31 - his COMNO pouch? You really need his CRS 10 from BT 382 which is his service record from January 1941.
    Let me know so we can direct you.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

4. Thanks Colin Younger thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As Hugh asks is it this Ref! Just to verify Hugh No other !
    Cheers
    Reference: BT 391/55/31
    Description: Name: Jones, Arthur Thomas.
    Service Number: R194550.
    Date of Birth: 10/12/1921.
    Date: 1944-1945

Hugh I have done a search on FMP but nowt comes up regarding a CRS10 ?? But I know there must be a Link at the NA I have not as yet got that! Cheers Just info I thought ?
    Your search criteria

• Arthur
      First name(s)

• Jones
      Last name

Birth year

• England
      Birth county/country

• R194550
      Discharge number

No results on above search!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 5th March 2018 at 10:45 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

May be of use but costs !
    Cheers

FMP Unlock Households

R697530

8. Thanks Colin Younger thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think this would be the correct Link for his CRS10 Hugh!
    Cheers
    Jones Arthur Robert to Jones Charles Samuel

Jones Arthur Robert to Jones Charles Samuel | The National Archives

R697530

10. Thanks Colin Younger thanked for this post
    Likes Hugh liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    Hello Colin,

Can you tell me what document you have from the National Archives - is it BT 391/55/31 - his COMNO pouch? You really need his CRS 10 from BT 382 which is his service record from January 1941.
    Let me know so we can direct you.

Regards
    Hugh
    Hi Hugh, Yes I obtained BT 391/55/31 and this only contained reference to Fort Lac La Ronge but that led me to BT 381/313 and that contained the crew list of Fort Lac La Ronge and that Arthur's previous ship had been British Merit. This led me to obtain BT 381/2627 to obtain its crew list which revealed Arthur's previous ship had been Elisha Walker. My searches of NA only revealed BT 391/55/31 with any indexed reference to Arthur although his presence in the 2 BT 381s I mention shows there is much that is not indexed.

What is a CRS 10?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Vernon - yes that is him

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Think this would be the correct Link for his CRS10 Hugh!
    Cheers
    Jones Arthur Robert to Jones Charles Samuel

Jones Arthur Robert to Jones Charles Samuel | The National Archives
    Thanks for that link Vernon. I did not know it existed - I thought BT 372 contained his details. You live and learn. Do you recommend I contavct NA and ask them if Arthur's records exist?

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Colin,
    The cheapest, best and quickest way to your end journey is to obtain his CRS10 - see the link by Vernon. I would advise a trip to Kew or employ a researcher.
    His file, if it has survived, will be held in a block of up to 60 other names and Kew would deem this as research and charge accordingly so better if you are able to visit. Once you have ship names you can get crew agreements if you wish to go deeper.
    Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 6th March 2018 at 05:02 PM.
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

15. Thanks Colin Younger thanked for this post
    Likes Colin Younger, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    Colin,
    The cheapest, best and quickest way to your end journey is to obtain his CRS10 - see the link by Vernon. I would advise a trip to Kew or employ a researcher.
    His file, if it has survived, will be held in a block of up to 60 other names and Kew would deem this as research and charge accordingly so better if you are able to visit. Once you have ship names you can get crew agreements if you wish to go deeper.
    Regards
    Hugh
    Thanks Hugh I think a trip to Kew may be on the cards. A question though what is the difference between the CRS10 in BT 382 and CRS 3 in BT 372?

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These forms were often issued to merchant seamen and are referenced in merchant seamen records we hold.
    CRS Description
    CRS 1 Merchant navy personnel, seamen discharged and immediately re-engaged on articles for further service in the same ship
    CRS 2 Transfer from ship to leave and reserve pool
    CRS 3 Seaman remaining in the employ of the same management
    CRS 4 Entry form to merchant navy reserve pool when not direct from sea-going employment
    CRS 5 Advice to manager of employment exchange that a seaman has been instructed to report to his office
    CRS 6 Absentee report
    CRS 7 Cancelling absentee report
    CRS 8 Certificate of discharge from merchant navy service
    CRS 8A Right of seamen to appeal against discharge from reserve pool
    CRS 9 Instructing a seaman to report for employment in a certain ship
    CRS 10 Seaman’s history sheet
    CRS 11 Registrar General Shipping forwarding cards, ED350 to merchant navy reserve pool
    CRS 12 Merchant navy reserve pool forwarding cards ED350 to Superintendent MMO
    CRS 13 Superintendent, MMO forwarding cards ED350 to Ministry of Labour, and subsequent action
    CRS 13a TE For action under MIL Circular No 121/
    CRS 13a E For action under M/L Circular No 23/53
    CRS 13aEA(2) For action under M/L Circular No 23/60
    CRS 13a SC Training of youths for merchant navy, M/L Circ 6/94
    CRS 14 Release from merchant navy obligations. Asking applicant for personal particulars
    CRS 15 Release from merchant navy obligations. Advising applicant of his liability to register under the Registration for Employment Order, 1941
    CRS 16 Forwarding to the merchant navy reserve pool application for release from merchant navy obligations
    CRS 17 Informing applicant of the result of his request for release from merchant navy obligations
    CRS 18 Certifying that a former seaman is not now required for service in the merchant navy
    CRS 19 Forwarding to merchant navy reserve pool central office an application from a man who desires to be released from the armed forces in order to return to the merchant navy
    CRS 20 Acknowledging a request for release from the armed forces and informing application what action he should take if the request is granted
    CRS 21 Refusing an application for permission to transfer from the armed forces to the merchant navy
    CRS 22 Letter to Admiralty, War Office and Air Ministry asking for a man to be transferred from the forces to an unpaid reserve for service in the merchant navy
    CRS 23 Telling local pool that a man has been released from the forces and will report to them shortly
    CRS 24 Application to return to seagoing employment. No indication that writer is subject to the Registration for Employment Order. Referring applicant to local pool
    CRS 25 Telling applicant who has had no sea service that his application for employment in the merchant navy has been referred to pool
    CRS 26 Telling applicant that we are unable to assist him to obtain shore. Directing him to Ministry of Labour employment
    CRS 27 Applicant has not been to sea since 31st December 1935. Referring him to Ministry of Labour (ED 10 procedure)
    CRS 28 Asking for particulars of a seaman’s age, occupation and last discharge
    CRS 29 Telling an ED350 registered man that the Pool have been told of his willingness to return to Merchant Navy at once
    CRS 30 Medical Certificate
    CRS 31 Asking applicant to produce evidence of acceptability as pilot or observer
    CRS 32 Tells Air Ministry (or Admiralty) of a seaman’s release for duty as pilot or observer
    CRS 33 Special certificate of release as pilot or observer only
    CRS 34 Telling applicant that release has been granted for entry into RAF (or FAA) as pilot or observer
    CRS 35 Telling local pool that a release to train a s pilot or observer has not been granted
    CRS 36 Telling central pool that a seaman desires release to train as pilot or and asking for their observations observer
    CRS 37 Release from armed forces to serve in the merchant navy
    CRS 38 Questioning released armed forces man, returning, or still required for the merchant navy
    CRS 39 British seaman authorised to serve in a non-British ship
    CRS 40 British Seaman discharged from a non-British ship
    CRS 41 Application for entry into reserve pool
    CRS 42 Failure to notify Registrar General Shipping & Seamen of a seaman serving in a ship or previous evidence of service in merchant navy
    CRS 43 Information received of seaman serving in a ship. No CRS form of engagement received
    CRS 44 Instructions to report after discharge
    CRS 45 Application to return to employment in merchant navy
    CRS 46 Return to unit of a released man
    CRS 47 Confirming telephone message regarding discharge of seaman, giving reasons
    CRS 48 Granting discharge from merchant navy. Advising seaman that CRS 8 will be issued by Registrar General Shipping under certain conditions (and enclosure)
    CRS 49 Forwarding to seaman CRS 8 issued by Registrar General Shipping
    CRS 50 A certificate of temporary release from pool due to medical unfitness
    CRS 51 Loan of seaman from pool for service in a ship to which the Essential Work Order (Merchant Navy) 1942 does not apply
    CRS 52 (Tally card; to be attached to NR 110). Slip for attachment to alien seamen’s documents
    CRS 52A Revised “Notice” for NR l 10
    CRS 53 British seaman’s identity card
    CRS 54 Application for British seaman’s identity card
    CRS 55 Report of loss of a British Seamen’s identity card
    CRS 56 Transfer of a seaman to national registration and civil rationing
    CRS 57 Record of issue of ration cards to a seaman ashore
    CRS 59 Forms of receipt and order on photographer
    CRS 59A Acknowledgement of application for British seaman’s identity card
    CRS 59B Order for photograph
    CRS 60 Advising MMO how to set upon seamen’s identity card invalid by National Registration Officer
    CRS 61 Seaman’s identity card improperly held, asking National Registration Officer to act
    CRS 62 Asking MMO to issue CRS 8 to seaman whose discharge has been recommended by us and central pool
    CRS 63 Wanted for desertion abroad
    CRS 64 Referring to period of loan in connection with CRS 51
    CRS 65 Action sheet for surrendered or impounded identity cards
    CRS 66 Process sheet for national service action
    CRS 67 Requesting seaman to call at MMO for conversion of national registration card
    CRS 68 Information from national registration that member is holder of unconverted NR 110 number
    CRS 69 Instructions to MMO to issue seaman’s unemployment insurance book
    CRS 70 Relating to alleged deserters from the army to be used in the merchant navy reserve
    CRS 71 Amendment of BSIC
    CRS 74 Daily operational pool report of personnel movements
    CRS 75 Instructions to seamen whose BSIC is incorrect
    CRS 76 MNRP notice of termination of employment
    CRS 77 Request for RS3 pouch (internal)
    CRS 78 Relating to withdrawal of RS3 pouch from file
    CRS 79 For completing record as to latest movement contained in RS3 pouch
    CRS 80 Reporting admission of seaman to HM prison
    CRS 81 Medical xxamination of certificates engineers and apprentices
    CRS 81(2) Medical examination of volunteer apprentices
    CRS 82 Report of loss abroad of a BSIC
    CRS 83 Temporary identity card for issue abroad
    CRS 84 BSIC enquiry form
    CRS 85 Medical report on a merchant seaman
    CRS 86 Requesting sea cadet to obtain parents consent to enter training school
    CRS 87 Wallasey sea school; parents consent to cadet to enter
    CRS 88 Wallasey sea school rejection of application
    CRS 89 Wallasey sea school preliminary acceptance of cadet’s application to enter
    CRS 90 Wallasey sea school final acceptance of sea cadet
    CRS 91 Letter to manager, labour exchange relating to application to become a sea cadet
    CRS 92 Notification to Inland Revenue of seaman’s departure from pool
    CRS 93 Notification to Inland Revenue of opening or closing of articles
    CRS 94 Inland Revenue voyage slip
    CRS 99 Letter to applicant for training in Wallasey Sea school enclosing forms
    CRS 100 Training youths for the merchant navy. Application form
    CRS 101 Application form for ribbon 1939/45 Star
    CRS 102 Application forwarding a supply of ribbon 1939/45 Star
    CRS 103 Letter informing applicant he is not eligible for the 1939/456 Star
    CRS 104 Letter to application re 1939/45 Star stating claim is being considered
    CRS 105 Letter informing relatives of a deceased seaman that ribbon cannot be issued to them
    CRS 10 -CRS 108 Letter explaining procedure for applying for 1939/45 Star
    CRS 109 1939/45 Star
    CRS 109A Amendment slip
    CRS 110 Application for War medal
    CRS 111-CRS 117 Application for 1939/45 Star
    CRS 118 1939/45 Star
    CRS 119 1939/45 Star Chevrons for war service
    CRS 120 1939/45 Star Wound Stripes
    CRS 121 Application for clothing coupons by a seaman who has lost his clothing book
    CRS 122 Merchant Navy Selection Board. Report of interview
    CRS 123 Letters to volunteers with instructions to report to Fireman’s Training school
    CRS 124 Instruction to report to Cooks Training school
    CRS 125 Volunteer questionnaire
    CRS 126 Letter to deck or steward trainee
    CRS 127-CRS 128 Entry of men registered under National Service Act
    CRS 129 Electoral declaration record card proxy voting
    CRS 130 Parliament (Elections and Meeting) Act 1943
    CRS 131-CRS 134 Proxy meeting
    CRS 135 Temporary identity card, ex POW
    CRS 136-CRS 139 Alteration of income tax coding
    CRS 140-CRS 141 Kings badge
    CRS 142 Ships Records to CRS section
    CRS 146 Release from merchant navy to the building trades
    CRS 150 Report of engagements
    CRS 151 Report of discharge
    CRS 152 Report of engagement advice note
    CRS 153 Report of discharge advice note
    CRS 154 Seaman to whom a British seaman’s identity card has been issued (or re-issued)
    CRS 155 Statement of a seaman seeking to transfer to the national register, the loss of his British seaman’s identity card and for his merchant navy clothing book

R697530

19. Thanks Colin Younger thanked for this post
    Likes Hugh, Colin Younger liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast