Thread: Help please

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help please

Have a look at the attached photo; these are badges in a private collect in Australia. My friend, CPO (Retired) John (Nick) Carter RNZN is chasing verification of the second badge; the one with the King's crown. Usually MN officer cap badges have the rostral crown. We are seeking verification of when the second badge was used and by whom.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 30th August 2021 at 04:58 AM.

2. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Keith Adams liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help please

Dennis glancing at them I would have said the first one is the standard MN badge, I have one somewhere complete with cap of 1990 vintage. Will see and check. The other one would say was a variation of the Bombay Basher. Made in India to specificationsof its purchaser. Many chose to wear this as was. Roughly the dimensions of the RN badge. However believe the RN badge was Blue where the red is of the MN. JS

4. Thanks Dennis McGuckin, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks John.
    This is for our present of the RCNA.
    Has a brother in Oz who has the badge.
    Den.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dennis the. Rostral crown is the one I have at the moment. So in 1990 that was the standard MN uniform. The badges I had previous of the MN were I think the same. The other badge I still maintain is a Bombay Basher probably made in India to a clients order. People bought for vanity I suppose. I used to have various cap badges of different companies which were supplied free gratis, but somewhere over the years have disappeared , unless someone going through my affects comes across. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th December 2017 at 06:47 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The difference in the crowns :- The Tudor Crown with the fouled anchor is the basic Merchant Navy whereas the Royal Navy has the Royal crown. Note:- the Royal crown is different for service in the King’s Navy than the one for the Queen’s Navy. I think both badges shown are Merchant Navy but the embroidery produced one has pulled apart and worse the wear from sea spray over time. Up until the mid 1950’s the majority of the shipping companies did not sport any type of crown and only those that had a Royal Charter to carry Royal Mail would have a Royal crown above their house flag, even had the crown centered in their House flag before then.
    Many shipping company’s began to allow allow the Tudor crown to be added in the mid 1950’s, mostly on the Bombay splayed oak leaf cluster badge. The Calcutta Badge had the closed oak leaf cluster so was not as “Flash” as the Bombay.
    I showed up aboard the Bibby Line “Oxfordshire” in Liverpool (directly from Canadian Pacific) sporting the the new Bibby Line, Tudor crown badge and felt stupid when i realized the Old man and all Mates and Engineers wore the crown less cap badge ! Managed to make an exchange with a Cadet who was really impressed with the huge new badge.
    I have a PSNC cap badge with the Royal crown, Canadian Pacific with the Tudor crown and Bibby, Harrison and Palm lines each with Company House Flag only. Hope this explanation helps …

9. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can remember the Bombay cap badge as bought in India called the Bombay Basher this together with the Bombay Cockroaches both items being past regulation size . The cap badge being modelled on the RN badge with splayed out leaves. The cockroaches also sometimes had to jump on them twice to squash . Nearly all arrived on a ship out of the baggage of new crew en route from India. One of the large overgrown baskets if edible would have enough protein in it to feed someone for a week . JS
    R575129

11. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Came across this although an old Post this may still be of help ?
    Cheers

Merchant Navy officers cap badge : A E R Fox | Australian War Memorial (awm.gov.au)
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

13. Thanks Keith Adams thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can confirm that if needs be Vernon. I still have the full rig of the M.N. As having to be present at an Investiture and not wanting to appear in a penguin suit , the choice was obvious . But to be sure checked with a London naval outfitter as didn’t want to mess up in a steaming revvy and have all the neighbours sniggering and pointing fingers
    Cheers JS.
    R575129