Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Banned in the USA

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: Banned in the USA

I used to load timber out of Prince Rupert. Sure knows how to rainup there. Great fishing as well, the dockers used to be pulling in salmon all day. We had a go and the authorities stopped us saying we were not allowed to fish of the side of the ship. We never went short of fresh salmon as some of the dockers would throw a few into the galley. That was in 1985 ship was called the FP Clipper.
    I always remember the beautiful sea eagles as they flew down the sound and watched as they caught fish. They used to nest on the top of the tall light clusters in the timber yard alongside the berth, and feed their young

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Lewis, yes one of the most rained on places in Canada.
    Spent 6 years up there. Was told to get rain gear and get out fishing. Otherwise you could go mad.
    Regardless of that, it was a good place to live. People were friendly. No place to go on weekends.
    Next town was Terrace 90 miles away on a gravel road.
    So lots of house parties. Had a cabin on the Skeena river. Some great 'men only' times in it.
    Moved to Vancouver Island in 74. Best place to live in Canada. May hear from our friends back east on that one.

Lewis McColl Guest

I was offered a good job by Shell tankers Canada back in the mid 80's as C/eng running up and down the BC coast.I was all signed up and ready to go.It mean't emigrating to BC but in the end my wife would not leave the UK because of her mum and dad. We had just had our son. Ask her now if she regrets not going and the answer is a big yes. I love BC Vancouver has to be one of the best cities on the planet.
    Been to Van Island a few times Port Alice right up at the top end, Duncan, Nanimo , sadly I never got to Victoria I believe it is beautiful.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Yes and very nice it is to, we can get some excellent british cheeses out here and they are proving popular even with the locals well I say British and Irish. Makes me smile sometimes when we have french friends in for dinner. They are curious about were the likes of Cheshire , Chedar and especially Stilton come from lol.Greedy buggers are even getting the hang of Carrs water biscuits as well.

Not forgetting : Munster-géromé, or Menschterkaas ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#34... Had the same problems Lewis. Had the same problem in 1966. Was on the short list for a job in Saint Johns Newfoundland. The wife used the excuse of it being a barren place by the media pictures she had seen. It was her mothers advice she was getting. Tried explaining it was a jumping off place to the rest of Canada as work arose. Wouldn't have it. Instead I went out to Canada and worked for Saguenay Shipping. When kids got married talked her into coming out to Oz. She wouldn't tell her mother until the final. Couple of. Weeks . When she hit the roof, told me I had always tried to take her daughter away from her. The next time in UK visit told my wife I was going to tell her mother she could have her back now as was finished with her,jokingly of course , she didn't think it funny. Mothers seem to have an unhealthy influence on daughters. Even offered to bring her mother with us. Pleased she refused. Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 9th October 2017 at 02:23 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    I was in St John's Newfoundland quiet a few times, I have no doubt your mother-in-law would have seen her daughter very quick smart if you had taken her there ha ha.
    Cheers Des

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des funny enough I can't ever remember being there myself, other parts of Canada yes. The ship I was mate on went there when I was having a trip off in the summer and coming back from Sept Isles she had a crank case explosion and went there as a Port of refuge. All the engineers were damaged to lesser or greater degrees nearly all burned. The job I was after was at the College of Fisheries there. The only reason I knew I was on the short list was because our family GP who was one of three referees told me he was told so. JWS

9. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    I listened to one of the Rednecks trying to justify Automatic ( sub - machine guns ) for deer hunting , to get a license here , the police contact your GP to check your sanity / state of mind . anyone who wants a sub machine gun to shoot deer surely cannot pass the sanity test
    But Ron you must remember in USA a gallon is not the same size as our gallon, the only country in the world to still use imperial measurements, so it follows there concept of sanity my differ somewhat to the rest of us.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#34 Yes Lewis Victoria is very beautiful.
    You need to have your old school tie on to go there.
    Place it full of old Brits.
    I am just three hours drive north from there.
    You would remember Port Alice. Don't think it has changed since you were there.
    Best salmon fishing in the world off the west coast.
    Although the weather and seas can be a bit on the rough side.
    Den.

Lewis McColl Guest

When we went there it was the first port of call for the FP Clipper on her maiden voyage. We had sailed from the builders yard Mitsui Tamano yard in March ?1985. Ballast passage across the Pacific was uneventful, great ship and practically no teething problems.
    Anyway lovely welcome from those ashore etc!! As we arrived on Friday afternoon decision made no cargo work until the Monday. Got an invite to the Dockers?? social club /country club. agood fed was laid on and some beers consumed.
    The thrid mate pulled and decided to stay ashore. As a return favour next night all those who had made us feel so welcome back to ours for a party on the Saturday evening.
    Another cracking night, thing is the 3rd mate pulled again, good looking innocent young lad lol.
    Monday morning cargo operations commence. 3rd mate is on deck. He gets filled in by one of the dockers. Reason being,on the Friday night he had bagged off with Mummy at the Club. On Saturday he had nailed the daughter, papa was not happy.lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast