Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deep sea voyages.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Deep sea voyages.

Out of curiosity, a topic I've never seen talked about on this site, what was considered the defining measure of "deep sea" voyages and those that were otherwise. We all know what comprised of coastal trips, but what about the Med, west coast of Africa, North America and Canada etc. I doubt that these were considered deep sea.
    Anyone want to expand on this?
    Duke Drennan R809731

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Roger Dyer thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Deep sea voyages.

I have always regarded anything past Brest in France or the elves in Germany to be foreign going and therefore I've always regarding that is deep sea although I believe some companies called the Mediterranean as intermediate voyages I still regarded as you have to go out there
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well when I did some time on rock dodgers heading round the north of Ireland, or passing Lands End bound for Limerick I reckoned the sea was pretty deep then, or when heading north to the Arctic on a trawler the sea was pretty deep there too, and the bluddy waves looked enormous on those small vessels....so what is deep sea.........your Dis A shows it better with the notation ''FGN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once you left the channel and could no longer see the White Cliffs you were in my mind deep sea.
    But what constitutes this may vary with some shipping companies , particularly if they could pay you at a lower rate no doubt.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

always thought off the lizard you were starting deep sea cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Once you left the channel and could no longer see the White Cliffs you were in my mind deep sea.
    But what constitutes this may vary with some shipping companies , particularly if they could pay you at a lower rate no doubt.
    Depends on the 'Articles' you sign FGN/MT/HT, s far as I'm concerned if was over 5' 8" it's deep, apparently now it's deep if it's over 5' 6" as I've shrunk but still got the same volume, but it's a different shape to what it was

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The term Lands End For Orders was used by most shipping companies although used to mostly get them through the radio, although have had Occassion to use the lamp. Would look sick if got Newcastle mixed up with Newhaven. jS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1. Duke there were only two areas as regards British shipping in the old certification. That was F.G. And H.T. With the new certification these areas were altered and Middle trade was introduced which included the meddy and I think the Baltic. [ I would have to look inside my certificate of competency which was issued in 2000 as the areas are inside of this for those who don't know where they are going] unfortuanetly I don't know where I have put this piece of cardboard, maybe others have studied it. Today. Or in 2000 you could have a 1st mates cert and could sail as master middle trade if you got a command endorsement. You could also sail as master on most offshore vessels with a fishing skippers [ Full ] practically anywhere also. Just about anywhere below I beleive 65 degrees N or S is considered F.G. Don't quote me on the latitude as may be wrong. The certificates master 1 2 3 4 and 5 tell you what you can and cannot do, so unlike the Australian politicians you can't plead ignorance of not knowing right from wrong. I think a master 5 allows you. To sail as master in enclosed waters and so far out to sea. Someone may have a book on the restrictions and otherwise weird rules that apply. As regards. Oil tankers one has to have an oil endorsement also, although this was there before the Mickey Mouse cert. was not in force when I sailed on in 1973 however. It was a well known saying among the fishermen in Aberdeen, put fishing gear on the Queen Mary and we"ll take her away. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th July 2017 at 09:42 AM.

12. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the Tanker Safety was running at Warsash in 1974 , but not mandatory
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8 65 degrees North, 60 degrees South

16. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast