Thread: HMS Forward Newhaven

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default HMS Forward Newhaven

Hello, my first post in this wonderful site and trying to get further information on my grandfather, William Sharp (from Liverpool) and the The Royal Naval Patrol Service in Newhaven during WW2.

He was stationed at HMS Forward in Newhaven and killed following a Messerchmitt attack on September 26th when he was on a small boat, N19 Sigrid, (I have a photo if this would be useful). Its just that there is very little known about Harry Tates navy in Newhaven during the war, and sadly the magnificent museum at the Fort has no mention of the Royal Naval Patrol Service, which is tragic.

Would appreciate any information on the Reserves at HMS Forward duing the war.

Many thanks

Denis

2. Likes Colin Wood liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re H.M.S Forward

Hello Denis,
    I can give you a bit of information on H.M.S.Forward.
    It was a series of Tunnel`s under the down`s at Heighton,on the out skirt`s of Newhaven,during the war it was fully manned as a control center for Shipping in the channel .
    In the Newhaven Historical Society & Maritime mueseum there is a model of H.M.S Forward and serveral photo`s of the control room and tunnel`s.
    The mueseum is in Paradise Park which is right across the road from the entrance to the tunnel`s.
    Opening time`s for the mueseum weekend`s 1400-1700,weekday`s ,1400-1600,admission £1.00.
    Weekend`s only after the end of this month,hope this will help to you .
    Mick Cutler.

4. Likes Colin Wood liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Cutler View Post
    Hello Denis,
    I can give you a bit of information on H.M.S.Forward.
    It was a series of Tunnel`s under the down`s at Heighton,on the out skirt`s of Newhaven,during the war it was fully manned as a control center for Shipping in the channel .
    In the Newhaven Historical Society & Maritime mueseum there is a model of H.M.S Forward and serveral photo`s of the control room and tunnel`s.
    The mueseum is in Paradise Park which is right across the road from the entrance to the tunnel`s.
    Opening time`s for the mueseum weekend`s 1400-1700,weekday`s ,1400-1600,admission £1.00.
    Weekend`s only after the end of this month,hope this will help to you .
    Mick Cutler.
    Many thanks Mick

I've visited Newhaven Fort and it is truly fantastic. Is there any way of finding out more about the boat William was in or what the registration number means so I can find out what it was used for? sadly, while Newhaven fort is a magnificent it has absolutely nothing on the RNR that was based there (or therabouts) during WW2. Peter Mason from the museum has been amazingly helpful too.

cheers

Denis

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default hms forward

hi Denis, are you sure the small boat was N19 and not NN19, NN19 would make it a local Newhaven registered Fishing Boat, ? ?
    Tony Wilding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome Denis,

From the Roots web forum.

SIGRID (N19) - Yacht 30 tons built in 1925. Hired on harbour service June 1940, purchased November 1941. Laid up in September 1945 and sold 1946.

Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 5th June 2012 at 09:20 PM.
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

8. Thanks Denis Byrne thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: HMS Forward Newhaven

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    Welcome Denis,

From the Roots web forum.

SIGRID (N19) - Yacht 30 tons built in 1925. Hired on harbour service June 1940, purchased November 1941. Laid up in September 1945 and sold 1946.

Regards
    Hugh
    Hello Hugh

Apologies for the dreadfully late response as I have only been able to pick up the research on the SIGRID recently and thank you so much for your reply. May I ask where you were able to access this information? It would be wonderful to know whom it was hired from for Harbour Service in 1940?

Thanks again

Denis