Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Old Haunts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Old Haunts

Never aware of the Kits , mentioned ,Cappy. Never offered on any my ships. Very wise To be Cautious.
    The preparation required would have been a bit daunting.though. Especially ,for a young fella! OOPS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My mother would always put the silver threepenny bits in the xmas puddings.....swallowed one once, the Brandy custard helping on it`s way !..............Brian W.

3. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Profolactic kits was the correct name for them. The ones issued by UCL contained a condom but by the looks of them most likely made by Dunlop.

As to scary things in Cape Town.

We had a winger tourist class who was by birth Maltese. Went ashore in Cape Town to buy drugs, but what none of us knew was he had a gun with him.
    No on is sure what occurred but there was an argument apparently and he shot dead the drug dealer.
    The police were called and he was taken away, the other guys had held him down.
    The skipper told ships crew there was nothing he could do and it would be up to the British embassy to look after him.
    Taken to Pretoria, tried found guilty of murder and one Thursday morning taken out into the yard and given a rope tie to wear.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JohnS
    Three penny bits, my wife has a a small bag full of them, plus some sixpences,believe it or not back in the 60s in NZ she saved all here sixpences and bought our son a tricycle. She has been asking the son to find out if he can sell the sixpences on line. When our son worked at the bank he used to collect all the sixpences he found that had a date around the 30s
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some bad buggers around even then John
    Just to put it straight though,the Hangings took place inside a special Gallows Room,the prisoners used to have to walk the as they called it "52" Steps to their final calling!
    Yes it was in Pretoria ,and a very sombre place it was too! The Prisoners (White) use to be celled in a place called the "Pot" awaiting their final day.
    The Non Whites were kept at Robin Island (off Cape Town) and transported to Pretoria about a Week before their time!
    Cheers

Capture Gallows.jpg

Hallway to the Galows Room.jpg

52 Steps to Doom.jpg

the Entrance to the 52 Steps.jpgThe end it happened here.jpg
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 5th April 2017 at 06:40 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Thanks John F Collier, N/A, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John do you recall the rickshaw boys in Durban, we would have races against one another with them. To take their photo you had to pay them as I remember.
    Big strong Zulus I think they were. Do you or any other hands recall the California Bar in Lisbon ? Sure that was the name.It was the bar the police got me when I jumped there. Regards Brian W.

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#34... Des caught the tail end of the news the other day and sounded like they are doing away with some of the money in the UK and taken some of the notes out of circulation and replacing same with a different design. I still have UK currency and waiting to hear more, but has not been mentioned again, it was well before 1st April I heard. As regards our 5 cent pieces believe they are going to disappear shortly and I have half a fourty ounce whiskey bottle full of them, no whiskey of course. So am going to have to take to the bank. Might even get enough for a schooner of beer. Cheers JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As far as I am aware John, it's just the one pound coin that is being replaced, apparently a huge amount of pound coins in circulation are fake, old ones are OK for a few months yet. Should imagine you don't have too many of those anyway, kt

13. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ive got a few, they are similar to our dollar coins. Will have to use them in collection boxes. Cheers JS

15. Likes Keith Tindell, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    in 58 didnt stop me in durban or capetown ......my mate freddie and me like many other young seamen took the chance .....young men never frightened threatened by anyone or anything.....yes in one occasion the bus then when they got of we got of ......but do remember thinking on the way back to the ship through some trees and bush .....jeez is there any lions round here ....also using that bloody anti vd kit....and sticking that toothpaste type thing up your prick end ......jeez what we would do and suffer for a jump....happy days cappy
    Never saw that one cappy but heard a lads description of "the umbrella treatment" made my eyes water just listening to it,
    I worked with an older bloke once who liked to talk about his WWII experiences, he said they were at Alexandria for a spell
    and some had gone to the mission for a break, at the mission two of them were playing ping pong they were wearing the
    army issue baggy shorts, sitting there watching them play was a group of very prim and proper ladies, one of the players
    was undergoing VD treatment, while he was jumping around playing ping pong the dressing he had on his John Thomas
    fell off and landed at the feet of the women in an unmistakeable shape of his John Thomas as it had moulded perfectly. JFC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast