Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: how do I find

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: how do I find

Hope you didn't stay in Walleroo Cappy, when I was there in 61 it was a two horse town. We were in Walleroo and Ardrossan, and one of those two ports had a nurses school, but ca not recall which one, but that made the place more pleasant. If I recall correctly, both places still had the 6 o'clock swill ?, ah happy days , kt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###no nurses in wallaroo keith but a fine young aussie girl ....only prob was her old man was a vicar and they were on holiday with family in wallaroo.....soon as i jumped he shopped me to the cops before even the ship new ...and sent her back to queensland ......i had some rough times before getting lifted ......looking back things like that can be the making of you in many ways......dont regret it now but was a bit peed of then as to get off that peninsular on foot without being caught was not easy......caught by a great ozz cop kipping in an old copper mine .....and fed by his wife after ithink 5 days on the run with just some bread and bottled water.....she gave me the best breakfast i ever had .......a couple or so days later another guy from the ship was brought in .....happy and not so happy days......cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi thanks for the reply I figured FGN was foreign but not sure , and HT would be Home Trade but where it went to, as i myself never went to sea (although my dad tried to get me to go) I am not familiar with a lot of seaman's talk, I noticed in his book one entry "Voyage not Completed" looks like he signed on 31.7.53 B'Head but in discharge it had deserted with a line through it? all his character reports for ability and conduct where all VG with No.s from B72 up to B231 ? a couple where B1 and B19? so what does this mean anything? by the way his no. was R139590 I also just noticed his AB certificate re-issued 21 July 1952 B'head I assume that was because of his long absence from sea duty?,again thanks for your rely, now all I need is to find out where the FGN destinations where

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###just saw a tele programme this afternoon ..where a german seaman jumped in south australia in 1960 ...was as he put it slung in jail for a few weeks then told keep your nose clean six months you will get aussie nationality .....he is now one of the richest men in south oz....i was told the same by the magistrate ...but sadly made money there twice what i would have made in the uk ....but not millions plus ....ahh life is a bitch ....lol cappy

6. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy,& J.S. there lays the difference no committy for me to far to walk, I never applied for mine was no longer needed sorry i didn't i would have liked to have it back.5 days after i bailed out i was back at sea on the kiwi coast,lasted there for around eighteen months.Had a stroke of luck, got a phone call from the union rep, Joe Briggs, one of the lads off the ship had phoned him telling him to get in touch with me and let me know as i walked down gangway shortly after a cop walked up to arrest me and put me on a ship back home.On getting the message from Joe, I bought a ticket to Australia,I joined my first Aussie ship the South Esk.
    Finished up in 93 after spending 3 years on compo,with a back like a Kiwi's 50s car, full of screws and bailing wire. Cheers.
    Last edited by Charlie Hannah; 14th March 2017 at 12:25 AM.

8. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Jim Brady, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Etherington View Post
    with No.s from B72 up to B231 ? a couple where B1 and B19? so what does this mean anything?
    Hi Albert,

the alphanumeric stamp is from the Mercantile Marine officer in front of whom your dad was discharged. This enabled the authorities to match the port of discharge with the MMO number.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

10. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is it at all possible now to obtain the whereabouts of a ship in previous years . As in Copies of the old Lloyds List. When we could go in to the Library,and see where our mates were on any particular Day?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Lewis View Post
    Is it at all possible now to obtain the whereabouts of a ship in previous years . As in Copies of the old Lloyds List. When we could go in to the Library,and see where our mates were on any particular Day?
    Lewis, not sure about your part of the world but here in the State library they have back copies of newspapers going back 100 years.
    In most there is a daily list of shipping coming and going from the local port.
    Maybe worth considering such from where you are.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, Evan Lewis thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3