Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New member

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile New member

Hi
    I am new to this site, firstly I would like to thank you for the warm welcome.
    My Grandfather was a Merchant seaman for most of his working life, his name was Robert Reginald Dixon, but known as Reg or Reggie.
    He served on Cunard and Canadian Pacific ships mostly out of Liverpool's Gladstone dock. Unfortunately he died in 1964 returning from Montreal aboard the Empress of England, on this voyage he was 2nd Chef, but had served as Head Chef on a lot of trips. As I was only seven when he died i did'nt get the chance to really speak to him about his adventures. My Father and Grandmother told me quite a lot over the years, but I am doing a bit of Family History research and I came across BMN Old friends plus, what better way to find out about my Grandad's career than ask the people whose careers followed a similar path.

Hope this is of interest

Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New member

Hi Steve I remember your grandfather on the Empress Of France I think that he was Extra Chef at the time,as you say he was always known as Reg.I cant tell you any story's relating to your grandfather I'm afraid,the year I was with him was 1957.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jim Thanks for your reply, I know he sailed on quite a few of the Empress ships, his later years at sea was mostly on the transatlantic services to New York & Montreal. Where was the voyage to that you sailed together, I was born in March 1957 and I think he was away at the time.
    Great to here from you.
    Steve

4. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on all the Empress liners in those days , but being on Deck we never came into contact with the Catering side.
    Probably did sail with him but would never know.

Cheers
    Brian

6. Thanks Steven Dixon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Steven Dixon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Steve on the France with your grand father I did 3 trips to St.John New Brunswick (Can) then 1 trip to Montreal,when you were born I think that we were still on the St.John run as the St.Lawrence river upto Quebec and Montreal would still be frozen up.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

8. Thanks Steven Dixon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi
    I would like to pass on some more of what I've been told of my Grandad's seafaring.
    His brother Frank, was a chauffeur for the CP captains at Liverpool, told me Reg had served on seven world cruises during his career.
    I was under the impression he went to sea when he first started work, but the first voyage I can find him on was in 1924. I sent to the National Archives for a copy of his seamans pouch, but this only has his cards from 1949, 1957 & 1964.
    He first started with Cunard, but in the 1930's was involved in a strike and was blacklisted, but when the war was looming his brother used his connections to get him a start with Canadian Pacific, with whom he sailed for the rest of his life, when he died at sea in 1964.
    His Father and Uncle both sailed with White Star, his Father was on the Britannic when it was sank in WW1, and family legend has it that his uncle Bob was on board the Titanic, but we have been unable to find any record of him surviving or perishing. His Father was on the Baltic to New York in 1929, when he was taken ill, on arrival he was transferred to St. Vincents Hospital in Manhattan, were he later died, my Grandad then arrived in New York on the Franconia but was too late to see his Father alive.
    Steve

10. Thanks cappy, Jim Brady, N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady, Frederick Lacey liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Steve what an interesting post about your family.A couple of men I used to drink with who have sadly passed on would've known your grandfather well
    both CPR men one was a baker on the France and the other was on various ships of CPR he was in the kitchen and ended up chef.I don't know if you are aware of this but there was only one chef aboard passenger ships the rest were cooks,such as veg cook,soup cook,fish cook sauce cook and roast cook the chef was the head of the department he had an office in the kitchen.He may have started as a boy cook and worked on all the different corners in the kitchen (as in soup corner etc) to finally become chef.I remember when I was bell boy on the France and Reg was on the 1st class press I used to ask him can I have a few chips please Reg.Happy days.
    Regards.
    Jim.b.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

12. Thanks Steven Dixon thanked for this post
    Likes Steven Dixon, N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim B
    I recall there being a number of Chefs on the Empress of Canada and each one had his own store room.
    There was a pastry chef, a bakery chef, meat and fish chef's, all with cooks and galley hands underneath them.
    On each crossing a special night was set up in the 1st class, where tables. attended by the chefs in their full regalia, were set up in the entrance to the first class dining saloon in front of the dance floor and between where the lift shafts entered the saloon, (the palm court orchestra were off to the right as you faced the dance floor with the dining area set out further in. Us officers (apart from the seniors who had their own table where they had to entertain passengers assigned to their table) had an area set aside at the far end of the saloon in a specially designated area where we were on show to all the 1st class passengers (bit like monkeys in a zoo) but we were never allowed to speak to them unless they spoke to us first then we were "to make polite conversation and move on as soon as possible".
    On those special nights the chefs would have there tables set up with all manner of foods and delicacies and would carve and serve the passengers whatever they requested. I seem to recall the tables were highly decorated and even had ice sculptures on them.
    LIVERPOOL SHIPS The EMPRESS OF CANADA of 1961 was the last passenger ship to be built for Canadian Pacific's Liverpool to Montreal service
    Knew and sailed with most of those Officers in the pic.
    rgds
    JA

14. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim
    I was'nt aware there was only one chef, from what I have learned he did start as a galley boy and from what crew lists I have seen he did progress as you say as various cooks etc. I know when he docked in Liverpool his first job would be to call in one of the pubs for a pint while he waited for the bus to Haydock from the Pier Head, my Grandma used to take me to the bus stop to meet him, but if he arrived a bit early we would see his suitcase in the lobby of the Huntsman, so we would have to wait for closing time to see him at home. He was'nt allowed to cook at home very often as my Grandma always said he needed a team of sherpas to clear up after him.
    Like you say happy days
    Steve

16. Likes Jim Brady, N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John with respect you obviously know nothing about the kitchen staff,they were COOKS and there was only one CHEF just like you had one BOSUN on deck.
    The pastry chef you mention was a confectioner,bakery chef-baker,meat and fish chefs,fish cook and roast cook.I would not be surprised if the chefs you mention doing the buffet were in fact Bedroom Stewards they used to do the carving at meal time in the restaurant.As a matter of interest I met the soup cook off the Empress Of Canada he was aboard her for 14 years up until she finished I told him of your comments about the soup corner and the kitchen in general he was not amuses I couldn't say on here what he said.
    I would like you to get a crew list and have a look at the ratings and what they signed on as.I drank with a man who was chef in CPR I seen his Discharge Book that was the only time that I have seen CHEF in the rating column.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    Regards.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

18. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes Rodney Mills liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast