Thread: Crew lists

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Crew lists

Hi All
    I was on a ship called the MV Keren around May 1982 when it was requisitioned by HM Government to become part of the task force when the Falklands war broke out. I was with Blue Star at the time, and after taking on Naval personnel and some refitting we set sail for Ascension to pick up troops, thankfully the Argentine surrender took place before we arrived. However, recently I noticed that there is no record stamp of my time on the ship in my discharge book, only an 8 month gap between pre and post ships ?? and no record of crew lists of the Keren at that time on the Blue Star site. Anyone have any idea where I can confirm the crew list for the Keren at that time ?? Have also tried Royal Navy archives

2. Thanks N/A, Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Crew lists

Not sure but this may help a wee bit??
    Cheers

Very interesting Career she had

MV St Edmund - Past and Present - Dover Ferry Photos

KerenÂ* - Falklands Island Troopship

Archives ~ Crew & Passenger Lists
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 21st February 2017 at 12:23 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi there, the Keren was the ship I went down to the falklands for my second time mid 83, I was on the scottish eagle down there, joined her christmas 82, (sailed down on the cunard countess) did 5 months on her, came back on the uganda had 6 weeks leave then down for another 5 months, we brought the eagle back for major repairs then she went back for a long time, years i heard.

The tanker that had been based at ascension - the "alvega" swapped with the eagle when we brought her back. sorry I cant help you with your quest but iis nice to hear a ships name that i was actually on, even if for a short time.

6. Likes Captain Kong, cappy, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davygross View Post
    Hi All
    I was on a ship called the MV Keren around May 1982 when it was requisitioned by HM Government to become part of the task force when the Falklands war broke out. I was with Blue Star at the time, and after taking on Naval personnel and some refitting we set sail for Ascension to pick up troops, thankfully the Argentine surrender took place before we arrived. However, recently I noticed that there is no record stamp of my time on the ship in my discharge book, only an 8 month gap between pre and post ships ?? and no record of crew lists of the Keren at that time on the Blue Star site. Anyone have any idea where I can confirm the crew list for the Keren at that time ?? Have also tried Royal Navy archives
    Hello Davy,

The clue, I think, is that the ship was requisitioned by HM Government and therefore the details will be held with the Ministry of Defence. I would suggest in the first instance you seek confirmation of this by contacting the Registry of Shipping and Seamen in Cardiff (now the Maritime & Coastguard Agency). They should be able to tell you for certain.

For Gary,
    I took this photo of SCOTTISH EAGLE in Berkley Sound when I was aboard LYCAON. The photo taken as we move clear of the ship after refueling. Photo attached below a bit grainy.

Regards
    Hugh
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hugh; 28th February 2017 at 10:51 AM.
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post