Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: bottles

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: bottles

I suppose the truth is there are no seamen about nowadays who go ashore and spend their money that's if they get long enough in port to even get down the gangway I reckon the Blue Peter is being hoisted before they even finish coming alongside no thanks not for me it would bore me something rotten I,ll stick with my memories of all those great ports I just have to close my eyes and I,m in Receifi or Santos how about Barranquilla I would not have the strength to keep up on that run to long regards

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

#30, "famous Cunningham twin sisters, they looked about 100 years old"
    I'm intrigued Carl, do you or anyone recall their Christian names?

Re above, Cancel, found them Pilar and Sonia.
    Last edited by gray_marian; 12th November 2016 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added text

4. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian that bar on the corner slope are you saying it was in Monty because it does stir a memory

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Kurutai,
    Here is a story of the Bar in Montevideo, iT WAS THE California Bar, now closed and Se Vende,..................this is 1958...............
    .............Eventually we arrived in Montevideo to discharge some of our cargo. Across the road from the dock was the California Bar.
    [Four years ago it was up for sale, se vende, I wanted to buy it but the wife wouldn’t let me.].
    It was a good bar then and had a few pretty girls in there, Paquita was my favourite, she was lovely.
    One night when our crowd was in there, around ten of us sat at a long table, next us was a table full of Swedes. I was on the end of our table and opposite me was a Swede, we got chatting, he told me he was off the `Uruguay` a Johnson liner that was tied up astern of us.
    While we were talking I happened to say that he spoke excellent English. He said “Yes I do, do you speak Swedish?” I replied `No`.
    His attitude suddenly changed, “Why not, is Swedish not good enough for you?” I replied that I had never been to Sweden.
    Then he says “So Sweden is not good enough for you” then he stands up and hit me so hard my Granny felt it 7,000 miles away.
    I did a complete somersault over the back of my chair hit the wall behind me and landed on the deck.
    Our crowd jumped up and the battle began. The girls were screaming and around twenty men were battering each other. I stayed where I was as the sawdust built up around me from the destroyed furniture.
    Then the Vigilanties rushed in, armed with rifles, sabres, and pistols.
    A Swede hit one of the Vigies, The Vigie drew his sabre and hit the Swede on the head, I saw the sabre slice through his skull as far down as this nose, like chopping an apple. A fountain of blood shot up to the ceiling and the Swede collapsed in a pool of blood. Kinnel, this shouldn’t be happening.
    Another Swede grabbed the pistol out of the Vigies holster and fired it, a deafening crack and every one hit the deck.
    He ran out of the door and turned right and ran into a yard at the back of the bar, He was cornered and the Vigies went after him. We heard shots as we jumped over the body of the young Swede and turned left and ran across the road to our ship, up the gangway and battened down our cabins and turned in. We never went ashore again, the Swedish flag on the `Uruguay` was at half mast. A very sad night, I felt awful, because I could not speak Swedish two men died.
    We sailed the following day across the Rio del Plata to Buenos Aires...........................

Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 12th November 2016 at 05:40 PM.

7. Thanks kurutai thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not from that one, but really enjoyed emptying the replacement which was part of the deal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4