Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: British MN Lapel Pin looking to find source to buy from or get from

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default British MN Lapel Pin looking to find source to buy from or get from

Hello,

My father Sydney Potter (bd December 17, 1924, Stockport England), was with the British Merchant Navy as Junior Engineer to start the Engineer, he served from 1944 to 1951 on various ships, including the Doric, He passed away earlier this year and our family was wanting to find a source where we could purchase the BMN label pins, that has the coat of arms persay of the BMN,

Does anyone know of a source, website or other wise where we could purchase these pins or were they only given to the seaman, we wanted to have for his grandchildren?
    Thanks for any help

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: British MN Lapel Pin looking to find source to buy from or get from

WOULD A REPLICA SUFFICE ?

Merchant Navy Lapel Pin Badge (Metal / Enamel)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Merchant-La...forsalecouk-21

4. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Joanne,
    here is a photo of the Doric. of the Shaw Savill Line, Built in 1949. 10,650 gross tons.
    just click on the photo to enlarge.
    If you know any other ships he sailed on maybe we could help.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 3rd November 2016 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doubt you will be able to get the Silver Issue, made during the war or National Service, but you never know some families will sell their parents/grandparents memories, plenty of replicas on the net

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello JoAnne, They were issued only to seamen. Still have mine, recorded in the Disc. Book 1942. Wear it on my Legion lapel, look closely on my Avatar. Good Luck, Eric

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Joanne,
    I bought a MN cap badge on ebay. Folk sell all sorts of stuff !
    Brenda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WW2 Merchant Navy | eBay
    WW2 Merchant Navy | eBay
    Merchant Navy Cap Badges ... WW2 Merchant Navy Seaman's MN On War Service Lapel Badge - British Naval. £28.99. Buy it now. Free P&P. The Merchant

10. Thanks Dennis McGuckin, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes JoAnne Harbinson Potter, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bought mine from a junk shop - one which had boxes of "stuff" too small to display. Metal, presumably steel, and with central pin. MN is blue. Coin dealers may also have same in a box out the back with other badges, buttons and no-value coins. I suspect dad was also entitled to a MN service medal which the grandkids may like - but it costs. I have one though joined MN in 1948 so dad surely must be eligible. Good luck.
    Ken T

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Trehearne View Post
    Bought mine from a junk shop - one which had boxes of "stuff" too small to display. Metal, presumably steel, and with central pin. MN is blue. Coin dealers may also have same in a box out the back with other badges, buttons and no-value coins. I suspect dad was also entitled to a MN service medal which the grandkids may like - but it costs. I have one though joined MN in 1948 so dad surely must be eligible. Good luck.
    Ken T
    The one you bought Ken is available brand new on the internet for £2.50. The Wartime and National Service badge is made of real silver and has a twist lock through button hole to stop it coming out. However what you have wear with pride, I also have one of those in addition to my original silver one, what I do is take the black piece out of the poppy and replace it with the MN pin badge

14. Thanks Ken Trehearne thanked for this post
    Likes Ken Trehearne, N/A, eric fisher liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a great picture I shared with my Mum, and my Dad was also M.V. Glenbank from April 1944 to May 1945, He also served on the M.V. Taybank in 1945 and the M.V. Harpalion, he was also saying they were "The Best Years of his life." and should have never left!

16. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast