Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: British MN Lapel Pin looking to find source to buy from or get from

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: British MN Lapel Pin looking to find source to buy from or get from

Those were great links to look into,and it tells us that my Dad didn't get one for when he served, we never saw a silver one that shows on the EBay postings, so not sure what origins or how he got the one we saw, more of a brass pin that was solid with MN on it, But we will look to obtain some of the items i saw there, albeit a challenge to purchase and get to Canada! thanks again.

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

POTTER, Sydney

Passed away peacefully surrounded by his family, in Barrie Ontario on May 2, 2016. Sydney (Sid) Potter, was born in Stockport, England, on December 17, 1924. He was in his 92nd year, and is survived by his loving wife of 63 years Joan (nee Trenbath), his devoted children Steven of Barrie, Kevin (Lydia) of Toronto, Malcolm (Carol) of Minesing, Janice (Ray Porter) of Hanover and Jo-Anne (Mark Harbinson) of Hanover. Sid together with Joan, helped to raise 11 wonderful grandchildren whom he was very proud of Madison, Christopher, Stephanie, James, Victoria, Travis, Michelle, Sydney, Rebecca, Eric and Jeremy. Sid served with distinction in the British Merchant Navy during the Second World War, and subsequently moved to Canada with Joan in 1953. Sid worked at the Marmoraton Mine and later for Ontario Hydro at the Bruce Nuclear Power Development as a Mechanical Maintainer until his retirement. He was an avid golfer, and extremely talented woodcarver. He was also a long-time supporter of the Royal Canadian Legion. His family is very grateful for the life that we have shared with Sid – he was devoted, insightful, innovative and put his family first as husband, father, grandfather and uncle.

https://www.barrietoday.com/obituari...-sydney-291951

4. Thanks Captain Kong, Fouro, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=JoAnne Harbinson Potter; "The Best Years of his life." and should have never left![/QUOTE]

I think you will find that possibly every seaman on this site has the same sentiments, especially in the 1940's to 1970's periods before the days of I-Pads and other such devices when we discovered the world by actually going there and ending up in places you would never have found in an Atlas, a period when ships were ships and not floating boxes. We had crews of anything from 40 to 200 and the camaraderie was something that cannot be replicated in a shore job, everybody on a ship had an important job to do, from cabin boy to Captain and greaser to chief engineer and everyone knew their place in the heirachy and we all pulled together to make it has safe as possible, but Mother Nature could throw a spanner in the works and many did not reach their destination, both in war and peace, but somehow we loved it, despite the privations, long periods from home (22 months in my case being the longest in one stint) and sometimes food that cockroaches wouldn't eat, but we kept going back for more, it gets into your system, you love both the storms and also those Southern Pacific Ocean crossings with a sea like a millpond when you are surrounded at night by millions of stars from horizon to horizon no matter which direction you looked...........memories...and that is what this site is about and helping others where ever we can

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please note the correct position of the green leaf.

https://www.militaryremembrancepins....nt=14934588423

FOURO.

7. Thanks N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Always wear mine at 1100 hours.

Maybe its just me, but I do not see the point of metal poppies which celebrities and many others wear to many of them it is a piece of jewellry to be brought out at this time of year as it defeats the object of Poppy Day which is to raise money for the RBL, because I doubt very much that any of the jewellers or web sites give part of their proceeds to the RBL. Just my thoughts.

9. Thanks Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you and I'm certain you are correct Ivan #9. Have just looked at ebay au where there are several MN badges on sale. Have also learned that Oz had it's own with Australia embossed at the foot. Learned also that there is a Merchant Navy Day badge which I've not seen before. I guess I'm way behind the times though this would be normal. Regret that am still unable to tell the difference between War Service and and normal peacetime service lapel MN badges as they look alike on ebay au.
    Ken T

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

For relatives we may have never known or cannot know no, more: Loved ones lost in conflict,
    perishing in war.

For all who have and are still fighting that we may be safe and free, the survivors and the injured
    and caring family: “We must remember them”

For their sake ‐ wear a poppy, if you wear a poppy, wear it with pride. It is also simply asked that you
    wear a poppy to support the people that are currently undertaking the defence of our right to wear
    it, wherever they may be in world.

http://ss-tregenna.co.uk/Pdf/11%2011%2011%2009.pdf

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Trehearne View Post
    Thank you and I'm certain you are correct Ivan #9. Have just looked at ebay au where there are several MN badges on sale. Have also learned that Oz had it's own with Australia embossed at the foot. Learned also that there is a Merchant Navy Day badge which I've not seen before. I guess I'm way behind the times though this would be normal. Regret that am still unable to tell the difference between War Service and and normal peacetime service lapel MN badges as they look alike on ebay au.
    Ken T
    Ken the Silver issued badge is what silversmiths call filigree, it is carved out in silver, where-as the replicas are usually solid and in most cases have a colour in them, where-as the issued badge has to be cleaned. If i was any good at putting photos on here I would, but I get so far then the system defeats me.

Don't know whether or not you know the history of the Silver Badge but it was issued because so many people, especially women spat on MN personnel in civilian clothes and called them cowards or gave them white feathers, these were men who had survived torpedo attacks seen their colleagues run down by other vessels (which could not stop), died horrifically in seas of burning oil, or been the victims of depth charges, or machine gunned by U-Boats. Even after the issue some were still spat upon so they wore their badges upside down so that it read NW meaning not wanted, I doubt very much you will find a real one on the internet, unless you are very lucky. They continued to be issued, to those who wanted them, during the National Service period which all MN personnel had to be registered (no option), if you left the MN after reaching the age of 26, you were still liable to be called up until the age of 36. I bet those who didn't take their silver MN badges wish they had them now

15. Thanks Ken Trehearne, eric fisher thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

PREFER THIS VERSION. In wartime, Britain depended on civilian cargo ships to import food and raw materials, as well as to transport soldiers overseas, and keep them supplied. The title 'Merchant Navy' was granted by King George V after the First World War to recognise the contribution made by merchant sailors.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Another thought would be an Merchant Navy Sweetheart Brooch

The pin's base would hold a crest featuring "MN" for the merchant navy. A pin allows it to be fastened to clothing like a jacket or blouse. Merchant sailors gave such ? sweetheart' pins to girlfriends and wives. K.

18. Thanks Ken Trehearne thanked for this post
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast