Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 1874 Death Question

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 1874 Death Question

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ####thanks keith .....catching anything will be debatable ....i am out of touch now but think it is a bit early for the mackeral .....but a bit of family time is worth the fishing regards cappy
    ####jim and keith i have spoken to a guy in shields who confirms ...no lisence needed to fish off jetties piers or the beach ...unless commercially fishing ....and if i catch enough to be classed as commercial ....i shall be happy to pay the fine.......thanks cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#29 As well as going around in ever decreasing circles, until finaly disappearing you know where, unless of course you have a bowthruster that works. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st May 2016 at 09:27 AM.

3. Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

very interested in this as I have just joined the site primarily because I am trying to find out more about someone dying on board a cruise ship in 1965. He was buried at sea, although it was only just off of France - could have made a difference I suppose which way it was going! and he had been a sailing man, and his wife was from a seafaring family. But surely the family of the deceased could choose what happened? I know I saw on another site about bodies being carried in the cold store and seasoned travellers knew that if there had been a death of board you didn't choose the fish at dinner.

5. Thanks N/A, happy daze john in oz, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On most UCL voyages to the Cape at least one would be put over the wall. Mostly bloods but knew of two crew who went that way.

Worst ever was the big fat man who was reported to have died on the job, on his honeymoon no less.
    Practice was to slow ship to around 5 or 6 knots around 1700 hours. Gun port door opened, body on a board with couple of officers and on most voyages there would be a minister of some cloth.

On this day the galley man had turned to at a bout the same time and had to let the gash chutes go. Normally at such times they would be locked until after the service, but for some reason not this day. They say timing is every thing, well as the body went over the side the gash chutes was opened, it was on the same deck as the gun port door and only meters away. As the body hit the water the gash was floating by, we never heard who got the bollocking but some one must have.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would like to return to the original post in which the register of Wages and effects Deceased seamen was mentioned. I have handwritten the details of the death of Alfred Chaplin believed to have fallen overboard when his ship 'Albion' was in Sunderland Harbour on 30 October 1879. I cannot seem to find this Register now. This death is recorded in our Family Bible. I would also like to find (again) the Registers and Indexes of BM and D of Passengers and Seamen at Sea. Frederick C Chaplin died on the ship Biafra 3 September 1898 off Grand Bassa. I have details Series BT334, box 0014 page 40. I have a photocopy of this page. I am a paid up member of ancestry uk. Thanks in advance for any help.

9. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4