Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Do you miss the sea?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Do you miss the sea?

When over there went looking for it and as you say went a long time ago. You don't know John Briant lives up towards Whangerai or Clive Spencer lives at Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, do you perchance. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 3rd March 2017 at 06:05 AM.

2. Likes Dennis McGuckin, thomas michael, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I sure have had dealings with John Briant when a MOT surveyor, will need to go back through my records to exactly place him with a commercial vessel. The only Spencer I know is the family who own the paper mills and are multi - multi billionaires and I did survey their family yacht for charter use. Will keep in touch with this one, cheers Peter in NZ.

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Should think John would be about 70 now. He was one of the other Apprentices when we lost one over the wall in the area off Cairns many moons ago. Believe he went into tankers after finishing his time in Runcimans. Was involved in some maritime drama when master but would have to think about that one as a long time ago. Believe he went into the shore management and superintendency side of the North South Island ferries. But wasn't there when I was a couple of years ago. Think he spends most of his time just on one continuous holiday with his wife. Clive Spencer I am sure he would like to be known as a wealthy man but alas the pedigree you give is not him, he also worked for Runcimans but think he served his time in Hedlams of Whitby or somewhere. He did some time as harbour master in one of the North Australian ports. Has just retired from selling fruit from the back of his ute or lorry so you may have seen him and not known hope if you bought any it was satisfactory, he also writes at odd times for Sea Breezes. Reminds me I still owe him an email from last week. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 3rd March 2017 at 09:11 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hannah View Post
    Des, & J.s. The only ropes i splice now is when Skeeter my mate needs a new lead. Cheers.
    ####sounds like you and skeeter are spliced charlie regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There were another two in NZ that I went to school with and believe one of them finished up in Nelson or somewhere, they served their time in Tankers probably BTC. They are twins called Watson. Clive knows them and will have to have a big get together sometime, one of the Watson twins I was told went into stevedoring and the other went with Union Steamship company, however this is second hand information. Will have to ask Clive when I get to answer his email. Its a small world today, pleased I kept my nose clean, as too easy to catch these days. I wont go into Gaynor and her troop of girls supposedly from the Port Line Offices in Auckland. Regards John Sabourn.

8. Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    NO? I bet you went into Gaynor and her troop all those years ago.
    Cheers Des

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now Now Des, would I do a thing like that, an answer is not really required. Bet you know the same group. Were about 5 or 6 of them, don't know how many reserves they had to fall back on. Was usually the first call on the ships phone when it was put onboard from ashore. Cheers JS

12. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only thing I can say is theold Dundee saying.
    No insult intended
    answer to Question " Is the pope a catholic"
    Best answer I can give.
    I would sail Free if I got the chance.
    After I left Brocklebanks I joined the post office.
    It was full of Oh ! you have to check with Him, who has to check with Him , who has to check with him.
    Rubbish
    At sea you done your job as you were paid. You make a Balls up ,it's yours and yours alone.
    Well it was in he elect dept.
    Ron the batcave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had to make a fid a few years back I was asked to splice a plaited rope for a tug it took me a while I had to get the old thinking cap on , I made it out of a peice of plastic pipe it worked fine I cut the end to a tapered point which easily pushed into the lay of the rope then i was able to push the tuck through the lay via the pipe it worked a treat I believe modern fids are made that way out of stainless steel I am sure there are much wiser heads on here who will correct me on that point , I had to do all the splicing aboard the Shaw Saville ship Suevic the lampy was not up to it I was asked by the mate to come back next trip as lampy at first I said yes then I thought do I want to spend all my time splicing and dishing out paint so I let it pass , regards to all hands Dave .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I left the sea fifty plus years ago. On an evening I sit out on my front deck with booze de jour and I am still Ex MN , Ex Leith pool.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast