Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: ship call signs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: ship call signs

To my knowledge during the Falklands conflict, there was a small Hull tug going down with the fleet and she lay on the outside alongside us and we transferred all her stores by our crane to her. She had a party of naval communicators on board fitting her out with the required radio. All naval transmissions and messages came as far as I was told just in a one second burst and in code which was probably automatically decoded. Our much esteemed member from Port William would know as he was there and one of such a team I believe. I also believe all the merchant ships carried such naval parties. Ref. your post Ivan as the aldis was generally known as the Daylight Signalling lamp and was directional, and was used day and night, I always wondered why so much emphasis was placed on the all round signal lamp, as every ship within range could see it. Was OK in the middle of nowhere when passing a ship but in shipping lanes would be distracting to other vessels. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th April 2015 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry Hugh I couldn't think of your name when sending but knew where you came from. Don't think the Official Secrets act will still apply to you now. If so sorry, I cant remember signing any and if did so is over 30 years now. Ref. previous to all round signal lamp would be very useful if in convoy and wanting to attract all ships with a signal such as disperse. Ship to ship though was limited to area and shipping in area. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th April 2015 at 02:08 AM.

3. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re All round signalling lamp was maybe why it was a compulsory item on a ship, as was not too long after the war. Were on all ships of that era. Going up the Great Lakes on their Navigational Rules and Regulations, the whistle or electric horn used for sound signals had to be hooked up to a visual signal also, so was very useful as we used to hook this up the ships hooter. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th April 2015 at 06:47 AM.

5. Likes Evan Lewis liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

J.S.
    Had a quick scan through the COLREGS re. the all round white signalling light but could not find any reference to it, mind you it is a bit early in the morning here and brain activity is still low.
    I recall that any signal made to inform another vessel of your intentions to manoeuvre should be made by sound and light in the COLREGS that I learnt hence the all round signalling light being connected to the ships whistle. There was also Morse keys fitted on the bridge centre line and bridge wings for making the required light signals for manoeuvring and it was on these that I learnt my Morse code with either the 3rd mate or the other cadet sending messages {often rude} to me from one bridge wing and myself replying from the opposite bridge wing.
    rgds
    JA

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    . Ref. your post Ivan as the aldis was generally known as the Daylight Signalling lamp and was directional, and was used day and night, I always wondered why so much emphasis was placed on the all round signal lamp, as every ship within range could see it. Was OK in the middle of nowhere when passing a ship but in shipping lanes would be distracting to other vessels. JS
    Only time I used the all round light John when as third mate I used to teach the cadets the morse code mid ocean, I would be on the bridge 8 -12 and they would be elsewhere on the ship, but as you say never used it in shipping lanes

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#24... I had to learn two lots of collision Regs. John. The first lot either Article 15 or 9 was all about Korean Fishing vessels and such and was about 3 pages. They were then modified and believe added too and I again learned. When they again added to I was finished with Tickets so did not memorize. Earlier the mention of 3 black balls brings back part of a memory maybe wrong about deep drafted vessels in narrow channels being unable to do much except carry on, as took about 3 miles or so to stop one of these Goliaths. The light attached to the sound signals don't believe they were in any Rules and Regs. I had to memorize, but were adhered to for Great Lakes Navigation only and not international. Their system of sound signals and in some cases, did not adhere to the ordinary practice of seamen in some cases. The all round signal lamp I always thought was part of the LSA equipment, good job the examiner didnt ask me about when up for second mate. Also believe for the past 20 years or so they relaxed being able to be able to repeat the Articles and just knowing the context was sufficient. Should have told that to the examiners of that period in time. Up for 2nd mate he had me repeating word for word from the start and stopped me about Rule 15. Then went on to Hows she heading with sailing ships and points and quarter points. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for such a clear explanation, Ivan. Why was there Radio silence in 1956? Was it the Cold War?
    Brenda

12. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda Shackleton View Post
    Thank you for such a clear explanation, Ivan. Why was there Radio silence in 1956? Was it the Cold War?
    Brenda
    1956 Suez invasion Brenda, it was a lot of preparation for a quick result, pity the Yanks had to interfere and stop it all, we had control of the canal back, but politics interfered and we had to hand it back to the Egyptians, we may have lived in a safer world if allowed to carry on, but America was determined that we would never again be a leading world power and as we were nearly a bankrupt country still recovering from the war years and we were stilling giving financial aid to Germany and Japan so that they would not go communist, and we reaped the results of giving our former enemies modern machinery and factories whilst we struggled with machinery built in the 1920's we had to comply with American wishes, as they also refused to give us American oil if the Middle East refused to give us oil. We should never let ourselves be put in that position again, which is something the 'Greens' don't seem to understand when objecting to our recovering oil from the reserves in Sussex/Surrey. Aint politicians wonderful!
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 11th April 2015 at 02:50 PM.

14. Thanks Brenda Shackleton thanked for this post
    Likes Brenda Shackleton, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    All naval transmissions and messages came as far as I was told just in a one second burst and in code which was probably automatically decoded. Our much esteemed member from Port William would know as he was there and one of such a team I believe. I also believe all the merchant ships carried such naval parties.
    Hello John,

Yes all Merchant Navy ships had naval communicators aboard dealing with military comms but the ship would still have their own radio officer dealing with commercial traffic. We were part of a Naval Party on board.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

16. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don’t think it has been mentioned during this post but if it. Has and this is a repetition....sorry.. the registered number for fishing vessels is usually painted on their sides for example for North Shields is SN followed by the number. Anyone know when this system was introduced and why the reversal of the letters ? .. when on the other hand a ships lifeboat sails were the letters of the ships name first and last the right way round and the number of the boat. Who and what sort of year these very useful attributes were added to the maritime world. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st May 2018 at 12:57 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast