Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Robert Prescott

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Robert Prescott

does anyone remember Robert Prescott he was my my brother and would like to here from anyone who sailed with him

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wekcome!

Hi calway!
    Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
    Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
    So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
    Hope we will have you here for a long time!
    A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
    Cheers

Sorry i cant assist with your query,but hopefully in time there may just be someone who will recognise your Brother!
    Lots of chaps here so numbers are going for you!
    Good luck in your search!
    Cheers

Could any of these perhaps be him!?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/s...ubjects=C10020
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 17th May 2009 at 08:19 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Gulliver Guest

Default For Calway

Quote Originally Posted by calway View Post
    does anyone remember Robert Prescott he was my my brother and would like to here from anyone who sailed with him
    Dear Calway, I'm sorry I don't recognise your brother,but I did sail with the guy on the left of the group,a Radio Officer...trying to remember his name.Robin?

As your brother was obviously at sea after 1972,then the Archive names that Vernon has just given you will refer to other R Prescott's as unfortunately those of us still at sea after 1972 were not kept(sad state of affairs).

If you knew the ships and companies he sailed on that would help...or was it just Bibby's ,because he looks so young to have had other companies?

I see you are also a member of Ships Nostalgia site. Unfortunately,I see your posting is in the 'Derbyshire' forum'...all 36 pages of it!),which is mainly about the structure/Inquiry into the Typhoon loss,and bulk-carriers in general. Whilst interesting,I feel that there is little said about the Derbyshire families and we ex-colleagues of theirs,and even less said about the tragic trials explosion that killed your brother.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showth...ght=DERBYSHIRE

May I suggest you place a new posting in Ships Nostalgia,in either their Bibby Forum,or their Looking for Old Shipmates Forum.
    I'll put their links here:-

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showth...ght=Bibby+Line

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=361

Good Luck!
    Davey

Just remembered,Cal(it's 40 years on),but the guy in the middle is a Cadet I sailed with called Simon Mawford from Gorleston,Gt.Yarmouth,the R/O was either Robin or Robbie? from Liverpool.I think those two had sailed with your brother on the 'Warwickshire' hence were all buddies! Must have been 1971/2, when your brother was a Junior Engineer then.
    Last edited by Gulliver; 17th May 2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Additional Details

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Robert died on the Liverpool Bridge along with Maxwell Biggam, the Liverpool Bridge then got changed to The Derbyshire, the blonde man in the picture i know his name was sparky and the drunken looking one on the end is robert, i know its a long shot but i would like to hear some of the stories that he used to get up to as i was young when he died, i have Roberts record book he sailed on
    M.V Warwickshire
    M.V Pacific Bridge
    M.V Westminster
    The Devonshire
    there is some others but cant remember them
    thanks for all the other links

calway

Gulliver Guest

Default Gulliver to Calway

Robert died on the Liverpool Bridge along with Maxwell Biggam, the Liverpool Bridge then got changed to The Derbyshire, the blonde man in the picture i know his name was sparky and the drunken looking one on the end is robert, i know its a long shot but i would like to hear some of the stories that he used to get up to as i was young when he died, i have Roberts record book he sailed on
    M.V Warwickshire
    M.V Pacific Bridge
    M.V Westminster
    The Devonshire
    there is some others but cant remember them
    thanks for all the other links

calway
    Good morning,Cal.
    Because I lost my early records I'd like you to check something. .If you have Robert's Discharge Book?.....and there is the following entry,then I might have sailed with him.

m.v.Worcestershire
    Signed on London;Signed off Glasgow..although some may have 'coasted' the vessel round to Liverpool.
    Year: 1971/2
    Master's Name would be Eric Peirce

There is also a Sparky(R/O) on this site,ex-Bibby Line 1975-1985,called Geoff Valentine(member name 'sparksatsea') who was active on this site about a month ago,and who is also a member of Ships Nostalgia site. He may possibly have known Robert,or more likely the R/O (Robin?) in your photo. Perhaps send a Private Message to him?

Best Wishes
    Davey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi Davey
    i have 2 dates for M.V Worcestershire
    7th dec 1971 London till 14th march 1972 Clyde Port
    15th march 1972 till 23rd june 1972 Antwerp
    it looks like they are both signed by a Michael J Horn.
    Sparky used to come to our house and what i can remember he was a bit of a comic, if it was you i would love to see a picture of you? i have a few pictures of people on ships who always seem to be drinking and having a laugh, it would be great to put the names to the pictures

calway

Gulliver Guest

Default For Calway

hi Davey
    i have 2 dates for M.V Worcestershire
    7th dec 1971 London till 14th march 1972 Clyde Port
    15th march 1972 till 23rd june 1972 Antwerp
    it looks like they are both signed by a Michael J Horn.
    Sparky used to come to our house and what i can remember he was a bit of a comic, if it was you i would love to see a picture of you? i have a few pictures of people on ships who always seem to be drinking and having a laugh, it would be great to put the names to the pictures

calway
    Hi Cal! You have a result! I did sail with your brother(I can't believe it's 37 years ago now).
    We all joined in Royal Albert Dock,London( a bit cheesed off because we'd be away for Christmas!) loaded on the continent on Safmarine charter for S.Africa,then across to Western Aussie(Albany) for bunkers.Had about 3 weeks in Gulf of St.Vincent in Adelaide(South Australia,where we loaded a full cargo of grain for Emden(Germany),finally heading 'northabout' for the Clyde(Glasgow).Your Robert must have stayed on for another trip.I remember now,,that Captain Peirce signed off on the Continent and Capt Mike Horn took over command.So that's his name on the records.
    I was a Deck Cadet(19) and your Robert must have been 22? and a Junior Engineer.
    I think that ship,the Worcestershire was probably quite a work-up for the Engineers.Also,coming home we had to land a badly-injured seaman at Capetown,due to very heavy weather.So it was great to get home I remember.
    I'm not just saying it to make you feel good(I'm a Lancashire lad and call a spade a shovel!) but 'Bob' was a very nice guy. Yes,we all had those p-ss-ups(who didn't)but there was also a serious,more quieter side to his nature,too. I'm sure,as his sister,you'll know that!

Anyway,Cal,I'll send you a Private Message a bit later on.

Davey

Gulliver Guest

Default Please Help if You can!.....

Hi All!
    I have recently been in contact with member Calway. As stated in her original post she is the younger sister of a young Engineer Officer,Bob Prescott, who died tragically aboard during the trials of the Bibby Line's 'Liverpool Bridge'- (later to become infamous as the 'Derbyshire')

She would love to hear from anyone else from 1968 to 1978,who knew of Bob,or sailed with him.

Jim O'Donnell and myself have so far replied.
    Is anyone else able to help?.If so please contact by Private Message.

Cheers Everybody
    Davey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The guy on the left with the long hair looks familiar.I think he was the radio officer on the Westminster Bridge in 1973? However the memory does fade with age. I was the senior Electrical officer and it was the ship's last voyage for Bibby Line.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a quick update to my last reply.The guy on the opposite end from Sparky was a junior engineer and like Sparky and myself(i was the Electrician) sank quite a few cans. We used to hold "parties' in my cabin which was bigger than the others.We would talk absolute rubbish as the night wore on.We would gradually reduce in numbers til there were only three or four left - Sparky and Robert were always there til stumps. I used to crash in my bed in the corner and tell them last out turn off the music and the light. I would wake in the morning with a roaring headache and my bed full of empty cans and bottles all around (and under)me!We played hard but we worked hard too. I can remember the juniors would "turn too" in a breakdown. This meant that Robert would have to drag himself out of bed to go down the engine room and join the rest of us to get the repairs done as quick as possible. i am sorry to hear about your loss. i have been in Australia since '74. It hit home too when i read about the Debyshire. Bibby Line were a "family" line.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast