Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to start as a foreigner?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How to start as a foreigner?

from GOOGLE CUNARD. and Carnival.
    Working at sea is more than just a job. It’s a way of life. It’s an opportunity to discover new avenues, visit different places and explore new worlds. An opportunity to make friends and gain experiences that will stay with you for a lifetime.

Whether you’re based on shore or on board one of our cruise ships, it’s hard work but very rewarding. But where else do you get the chance to progress your career and discover different cultures at the same time?

So join our diverse team, take your career to a whole new level, and you might even get the chance to visit some of the most exotic locations in the world. This really is a life less ordinary.
    About us

A world of excitement, fun and possibilities

A market leader in the cruise industry, we operate ships all over the world. We’re most widely recognised by our famous brand names P&O Cruises and Cunard Line.

Working together, it’s our mission to be the most successful – the most spectacular – cruise company in Britain. To do this, we focus on providing the finest cruise experience for each and every customer. And of course, this isn’t possible without the skill and commitment of our people on board and ashore. That’s where you come in.

P&O Cruises

P&O Cruises is the largest cruise operator in the UK and, perhaps, the best-known in the world. Working on board the seven-ship fleet of Aurora, Oriana, Arcadia, Adonia, Oceana, Ventura and Azura, you’ll have the opportunity to experience luxury cruises to the Mediterranean, the Baltic, the Norwegian Fjords, the Caribbean, the Atlantic Islands, and round-the-world voyages.

Cunard

Cunard Line offers the only regular transatlantic crossing service on board the world famous Queen Mary 2. The 1,968-passenger Queen Victoria, launched in November 2007, undertakes a number of different voyages, while the latest ship, the Queen Elizabeth, joined the fleet in Autumn 2010.

It takes great passion and real commitment to maintain our position at the top. That’s why we’re always looking for people, both shipboard and shoreside, who share our obsession and drive to provide the most memorable experiences imaginable.

This is your chance to join us on our journey.
    Categories

Ship - Accommodation

Ship - Back of House / Administration

Ship - Cadet

Ship - Deck

Ship - Engine

Ship - Entertainment

Ship - F&B

Ship - Front of House

Ship - Galley

Ship - Medical

Ship - Technical

Ship - Youth

Salaries

<20,000

20,000 - 30,000

30,000 - 40,000

40,000 - 50,000

50,000 - 70,000
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Now now Terry let's not be too hasty
    Ivan, I offered him a job mate that's me messing about on the river
    {terry scouse}

3. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Saul,

I qualified as Officer of the Watch near the start of this year (British Certificate), so I can hopefully assist you with what information you need to go to sea.

From what I understand of your original post, you'd like to start out on the deck working from the lowest rank and then working your way up? Do you want to be involved in the navigation of the ship or is your interest purely in working on deck? Working on deck as a seaman will involve securing cargo, maintaining the vessel, carrying out the orders of the Officer of the Watch for securing/mooring the ship alongside the berth/quay etc.

As soon as you let me know whether or not this is what you want to do, or whether you'd like to go into the Navigation of the ship (Officer of the watch), I can give you a detailed response and tell you exactly what you'd need and the process you'd go through in the UK (assuming you wish to come to the UK for training).

All the best,

Kind regards,
    Jack.
    Last edited by Jack Taylor; 8th December 2014 at 05:40 PM.
    Kind Regards,
    Jack.

OOW Unlimited, British Merchant Navy.

Founder at: British Seafarers

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Taylor View Post
    Hello Saul,

I qualified as Officer of the Watch near the start of this year (British Certificate), so I can hopefully assist you with what information you need to go to sea.

From what I understand of your original post, you'd like to start out on the deck working from the lowest rank and then working your way up? Do you want to be involved in the navigation of the ship or is your interest purely in working on deck? Working on deck as a seaman will involve securing cargo, maintaining the vessel, carrying out the orders of the Officer of the Watch for securing/mooring the ship alongside the berth/quay etc.

As soon as you let me know whether or not this is what you want to do, or whether you'd like to go into the Navigation of the ship (Officer of the watch), I can give you a detailed response and tell you exactly what you'd need and the process you'd go through in the UK (assuming you wish to come to the UK for training).

All the best,

Kind regards,
    Jack.
    #####hi jack just out of interest what shipping co or companies......did you have your seatime with and what ships have you been to sea in ......best wishes to you for xmas and the new year regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    #####hi jack just out of interest what shipping co or companies......did you have your seatime with and what ships have you been to sea in ......best wishes to you for xmas and the new year regards cappy
    Hi Cappy,

I did my time with Seatruck Ferries Ltd. which has its head office based in the UK, and was on the following ships:

Seatruck Progress (British Flag),
    Seatruck Pace (Cypriot Flag)
    Clipper Ranger (Malta, then re-flagged to the UK),
    Seatruck Panorama (Cypriot Flag),
    Clipper Point (Cypriot Flag),
    Clipper Pennant (Cypriot Flag).

My first few ships were Irish Sea based, but then I was lucky enough to spend the majority of my time on charters going to Russia, Germany, and some really quaint ports (more like a quayside and that's about it) in Denmark. We normally carried Ro-Ro Freight, but on the charters we ranged from Wind Turbine Components to carriages for the Russian Undergrounds! We also had a spell of carrying Airbus wings (very interesting to watch those being loaded).

All in all I've been quite lucky with the experiences I've had with Ro-Ro. It's been far more varied than what I would have imagined, and the ship handling experience which I've been lucky to have (I had some very trusting Masters ) has very much pushed me to want to have a command of my own one day.

All the best for Christmas and the New Year,

Kind regards,
    Jack.
    Kind Regards,
    Jack.

OOW Unlimited, British Merchant Navy.

Founder at: British Seafarers

8. Thanks j.sabourn, cappy thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady, cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI Terry.
    Where did you get that pic of me I had a tub like that painting the South Steyne.
    Cheers Des

me and the greek242 (Small).jpg

10. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hope you get what you wish for jack ......and have your own command one day ...all the best to you and yours and ahappy xmas and new year to you at sea or at home regards cappy

12. Likes Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Be patient Saul
    Someone will come up with an answer.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Brian, Give the guy the correct advice, When you start a Foreigner there are 3 main rules.
    1, Don't tell the boss.
    2, Get the price right.
    3, Keep it from your missis............................Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2