Thread: No luck finding records

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default No luck finding records

Hi, I'm new to the forum and hoping to get some advice. My dad had told me that he had been in the Merchant Navy a few years before being recruited for the Royal Navy in 1936. He would have been 17 then.

I've checked findmypast, with no luck.

I believe he joined the MN abt 1933, abt 13/14yrs. His sisters had thought he'd lied about his age and he might have been younger and used a different name - his mother had been married more than once.

But unless he's lied about his name as well - I'm having great difficulty tracing him. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Janette

2. Thanks Captain Kong, cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: No luck finding records

Hello Janette and welcome,
    Could you give us some more information please?
    Full name, date, and place of birth.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Hugh, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. My dad's name was Charlie Brier Carpenter, b 25/7/1919, Bramley Leeds. He joined RN at Manchester, Nov 1936, after, he said, a visit made by RN to his ship as part of a recruitment drive. Not much to go on sorry.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Janette

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jan, Confirming details of birth, Charlie B Carpenter, mmn. Carpenter. Qrt. Jul-Aug-Sep. 1919. District. Leeds. Vol.9b. Page.509.
    being as maiden name the same its possible mother wasn't married, have you got his birth cert, to prove either way.?

On ancestry.uk it has the name Charlie Brier Carpenter on UK Naval Medal and Awards Rolls. 1793-1972.
    but I'm afraid you will have to pay to be able to get the info you want. hope this helps. Fred.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, JanetteSmith thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JanetteSmith View Post
    I believe he joined the MN abt 1933, abt 13/14yrs. His sisters had thought he'd lied about his age and he might have been younger and used a different name - his mother had been married more than once.

But unless he's lied about his name as well - I'm having great difficulty tracing him. Any suggestions?
    Janette
    Hello Janette,
    As he was in the MN in the 1930s his records, if they have survived, would be in the Fourth Register of Seamen. However, you are correct he doesn't appear to have any in that register. You give some clues about age, and different names which could be factors and this could be a reason why you cannot find him. Equally, though, you have be prepared that they have not survived.

Without any personal records the only way to find him would be via Crew Agreements but the snag is you would need to know at least one ship preferably at the end of his time in the MN - no easy task.

Try some of the family surnames along with his christian names and see if any bells ring.
    Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

10. Thanks JanetteSmith thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, JanetteSmith liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks lads. Fred, --- his mum married Fred Brier in 1921. his birth cert 1919 shows Brier Carpenter, so i've searched on both names, but I'll try other names in the family at that time. His younger sisters, it seems, thought he'd taken the Carpenter name and lied abt his age to get into the MN. abt 1933 when he was fourteen. but it seems he'd always used it. I have his details for the RN but they dont show anything new regards his name. They actually returned to me a full copy of his birth cert that he used to join the RN, with a stamp on the back from the education board stating he'd finished his education and dated 1933.

Hugh -- As i have very little to go on - no ship names or dates, except his leaving education in 1933 I'm searching in the dark. I'll try any name linked to the family at the time.

Thanks again lads.
    Janette

12. Likes Frederick Lacey, N/A, Hugh liked this post