Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Chief Stewards Info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chief Stewards Info

#9... Ref the Shipmasters Medical Course. Remember doing this sometime in Liverpool. There was an exam of sorts at the end of by a GP. Remember him asking me what to do with a victim lying outside the door of a motor car accident, after a couple of minutes he said youve just killed the patient. I was going to say he wasnt a seaman then as would take more than that to put away, thought better of it and kept my mouth shut. The course then was done by 3 sister tutors. Was Childbirth, Veneral Diseases, and drug abusers were the 3 main topics. Giving injections practiced on oranges with an imaginery cross on which represented the right buttock of the patient. The injection went in the right hand upper semi circle., like referring to a Tropical Revolving storm. Wheneve over the years have had to give injections all I remember of a seamans ass was an orange with a cross on it. He had nothing to be shy about, although most werent in any case. Cheers JS

2. Likes john walker, Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most British ships I was on as mate I used to go and have a beer at morning smoko with the ch. Stwd. in his cabin, the cook used to come up for the days menus about the same time. Usually then a general discussion on what was happening on future estimates of next ports etc. and what any problems on ship were. The cook was the most knowledgeable man on the ship when it came to life on board, whether he knew it or not. I always came away with more knowledge than what I started with, and in a lot of cases was able to forestall small problems before they ever got any bigger. There must be a background to this for the old galley radio theme. JS

4. Likes Dennis McGuckin, Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #9... Ref the Shipmasters Medical Course. Remember doing this sometime in Liverpool. There was an exam of sorts at the end of by a GP. Remember him asking me what to do with a victim lying outside the door of a motor car accident, after a couple of minutes he said youve just killed the patient. I was going to say he wasnt a seaman then as would take more than that to put away, thought better of it and kept my mouth shut. The course then was done by 3 sister tutors. Was Childbirth, Veneral Diseases, and drug abusers were the 3 main topics. Giving injections practiced on oranges with an imaginery cross on which represented the right buttock of the patient. The injection went in the right hand upper semi circle., like referring to a Tropical Revolving storm. Wheneve over the years have had to give injections all I remember of a seamans ass was an orange with a cross on it. He had nothing to be shy about, although most werent in any case. Cheers JS
    I also did mine at Liverpool the course content was very similar and possibly taught by the same tutors who were excellent teachers. I just can't remember where the course was held anyone have any ideas?

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Merchant navy Hotel I think.... JS

8. Thanks john walker thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john walker View Post
    I also did mine at Liverpool the course content was very similar and possibly taught by the same tutors who were excellent teachers. I just can't remember where the course was held anyone have any ideas?
    I also did mine in early days of cerficate ShipMasters Medical certificate (sixties) I was Chf Stwd with Cunard. At that time myself and another Cunard CS were required to attend as observers at Broad Green Hospital and training too white coat job. After sewing up a couple of accident victims the very nice ladydoctor said to me you sew up next patient. My buddy refused. Very busy place and my patient arrived soon after a young buider with his forearm sliced open I put six or seven stitches in with no great problem as I soon discovered the needle didnt hurt me.....Another time following behind about three doctors on their rounds through cubicles my mate and I in rear . An old lady in one cubicle grabbed me by my sleeve and wouldnt let go saying "Am Im going to die Doctor ?" Back at sea I found it all very useful. Remember giving first injection (VD) and getting the guy to lay down on settee with pants off, he was nervous too and seeing me reading the Ship Captains Medical guide asked if it was my first time, I said of course not done loads,just checking dosage.......In those days big old syringe & huge needle which had to be boiled up first and reused no throwaways. Injected him (eyes closed) and he sais is that it ? I looked down and the needle was still in his bum cheek. I gave him a sharp slap on bottom as I withdrew said needle and he never knew. Did watch him allday though in case Idid it wrong but all OK, Many more over next twenty years and other cases sewed guys thumb back on and years later in Birkenhead thought he was attacking my wife and I as he rushed across a road towards us waving his fist/thumb shouting thats him.
    Stuart
    Last edited by Stuart Henderson; 23rd August 2014 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
    R396040

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, N/A, John Callon, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember at sea on the way from Durban to adelaide two of the engineers had a dispute, and one of the guys ended up with the top lip completely split, a huge gash, the skipper sewed him up, and on arrival in Adelaide the skipper sent him to the hospital to be checked. The surgeon there said he could not have done a better job himself. the skipper was right chuffed. the odd thing was the two engineers were the best of mates , so god knows what caused the fisticuffs, KT

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, N/A, Stuart Henderson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is not the salary that mattered, it was the perks that could be fiddled and made some men very wealthy. I sailed on a passenger liner for a short time and it was rumoured that the Captain, the Purser, the Head barman, Chief steward and the Chief engineer between them owned one of the larger top class hotels on the Isle of Wight. All had been on board since the ship was built some eight years earlier and rarely took leave, to protect their enterprises no doubt !! Regards Peter in NZ

14. Thanks j.sabourn, Stewart Polson thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a longer trip I have seen Engineers fall out with each other for the most trivial of reasons , I think in my time , alcohol has paid apart too . I had a fourth engineer who did not think the division of work fair take asing at me , I side stepped he hit the steel bulkhead and split his hand open , trip to Guernsey hospital , no anesthesia whilst he had it stitched because of the alcohol in his system . I found on only two occasions that a fellow engineer was a total har zole , and disliked by all , but violence was rare , amongst ourselves .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

16. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#17... I know how most of the perks were made. If had my time again have my doubts whether I would be so honest. JS

18. Likes Stewart Polson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing to do wih #17. How many of the ex Chief Stewards can remember being put in charge of the accounts. Was usually the 2nd. Mates job or the Chief Stewards. In the likes of the Argentine where the same problems exist today with their monetary system, ashore at one time were getting 100 pesos or whatever they were for a pound, so if had actual currency could change on the money market ashore. However if drew money off the ship got a shock when they saw how much they had spent when it was converted back to sterling. In the olden days (sounds good) the ships papers together with the Articles had to be lodged at the British Consulate. On ship being cleared outwards these papers were returned with clearance certificate etc. Stamped in the back of the Articles was the official exchange rate. I particular remember one time in BA were getting over a 100 to the pound, stamped in the Articles the official rate to be used for ships money was 39.6. The best currency for years to have as cash was the American Dollar. The hardest I ever saw in western currencies to get rid of was the Scottish pound note, as most foreigners thought they were forgeries and had never heard of the Linen Bank of Scotland. Another hitch Mr. Salmond wants to be aware of. The few times I had to look after the accounts also the pay off ones, I was always pleased when the old man delegated the Chief Steward to do. These were the days of non computers and electronic calculators so everything was in long hand. Cheers John S

20. Thanks Stewart Polson thanked for this post
    Likes robpage liked this post
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast