Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Discharge Book

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Discharge Book

I am trying to remember exactly what happened to our discharge books when we signed on or off a vessel.
    How did they end up being stamped and signed when we paid off? For the life of me , I can't remember.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Paul in Montreal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Discharge Book

Paul, as far as I remember - late 40s early fifties - they were kept locked away on board after you signed on and returned to you when you paid off, appropriately endorsed.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI Paul.
    When you signed on the shipping master and the skipper took your book and looked at it, the captain could if you had a DR refuse to take you. After you signed on the skipper kept your book locked in his safe on board. When you paid off the skipper took your book to the shipping office where he consulted the Shipping Master if he was going to give you a DR, I think the shipping Master had a say after reading the severity of the charge . Your book was then stamped and given to you.
    Cheers Des

redc.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lads you would be surprised how many times during a voyage the skipper did look at your discharge book, Many a time if you remember you were sent ashore for up to date tropical inoculations. I recall being on the wing of the bridge one night on the graveyard watch, We were approaching Galveston Island. And once we spotted her light house I would give the crowd a shake and take the wheel. The skipper appeared on the bridge. Morning skipper, And he returned the gesture. He was entering something into the log book when he was finished he called me into the wheelhouse and put the wheel on manual gave me a course to steer, And in a passing moment said OH By the way young man we crossed paths with one of your old ships through the night the M.V.Trevaylor. I was surprised. Yet not amazed. I also sailed on the 16th march one year on a Harrison boat my birthday is paddy,s day the 17th on the 18th the skipper to my surprise got the cook to bake me a cake and asked why I had kept my special day to myself its not every day you are 21yrs old. If you were in for a D.R. I think there was a clause in the articles were the skipper had to forewarn you that a letter would be sent to the pool Superintendent, As to cause no friction the day you payed off Regards lads Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

B---- Hung on to my last book when i said adios in Aukland.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hannah View Post
    B---- Hung on to my last book when i said adios in Aukland.
    Only had one book, nearly all my trips were so bluddy long, one being 22 months

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates, got two books old and new ready to sign on ? gear ready, waiting for telegram any ship , any trip, anywhere ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7 no ships left Louis more chance of finding rocking horse manure

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had this discussion once before, The books were changed as anyone knows we were all issued new books in 1972, I was on a 12 month voyage when they changed somewhere in the Indian Ocean, I remember very well the skipper sending for me up to his cabin, On entering his room all the discharge books where on his desk. Well young man it appears you have the sea time in to be made E.D.H. Today, that was only 3 months into the trip, But of course it meant I got an instant pay rise from S.O.S. To E.D.H. And as he explained the remainder of the trip while under ships articles will go towards sea time in being made Able Seaman. Those books were scrutinised more than people realize. I sailed with Captains that I doubt would have done that, He was a Scotsman and came up through the ranks himself from deck boy to Skipper, Always the best men to Skipper a ship, They had been there and wore the tea shirt themselves. Good health all Terry.
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 9th January 2014 at 12:08 AM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by red lead ted View Post
    H Those books were scrutinised more than people realize. I sailed with Captains that I doubt would have done that, He was a Scotsman and came up through the ranks himself from deck boy to Skipper, Always the best men to Skipper a ship, They had been there and wore the tea shirt themselves. Good health all Terry.
    May be true in a lot of cases Ted, and always admired them. But your statement not always true, sailed with one who came up that way, always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder especially with the deck crowd or anyone below rank of Chief Officer, he hated cadets, he was a Scouser and should have known better. His best mate was the Ch.Steward. Got his come-uppance on a beach in S America when he took some passengers ashore in the motor lifeboat for a BBQ, lit the bonfire too near the M/B and it burnt out, had to be rescued by the 3rd mate and AB's in the rowing L/B, that made him really mad. Last I heard of him he was sailing as 1/m in the same company

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast