Thread: Kaj Henry Jorgensen?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Kaj Henry Jorgensen?

Hello everybody,
    I am trying to find more information about "Kaj" above mentioned but is sometimes spelt as "Kia"
    he was a 3rd officer on the SS Halland and was killed along with his brother on the same ship on the 15 Sep 1940, I think "Kaj" Merchant Navy number was R19376.
    my question is.. would I ever be able to find a photograph of Kaj on any of the records held??? I really am running out of ideas of where to look now!!
    your help and appreciation is grateful.
    Best wishes
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kaj Henry Jorgensen?

Hello John If his CRS10 Records still exist they would have the following info. I believe that a Picture may also be included . BT 382
    Title:
    Registry of Shipping and Seamen: Fifth Register of Merchant Seaman's Service (CRS 10 forms)

Description:

This series contains Fifth Register of Merchant Seaman's Service (CRS 10 forms).
    The Fifth Register records on a standard form (CRS 10) the service of individual merchant seamen and lists the ships on which they served with relevant dates.
    The CRS 10s give personal details of each seaman; the front page of the service entries includes:

• name;
    • date of birth;
    • place of birth;
    • discharge A number;
    • rank or rating, with relevant certificate details;
    • details of any other qualifications;
    • date CRS 10 first page was created;
    • British Seamen's Identity Card Notations. The entries refer to correspondence and issuing of cards, certificates, applications etc. The originals in general do not survive except where they have been filed in the seaman's pouch.

The continuation pages show:

• a list of ships and their official numbers with date and place of engagement;
    • rank or rating;
    • F or H (for Foreign or Home trade voyage);
    • date and place of discharge from the ship;
    • character grade;
    • National Insurance contribution code;
    • Registry clerk's initials and date of the entry;
    • when ashore the sheet may bear the entry MNRP (Merchant Navy Reserve Pool) with date and place.

This information about service was extracted from ship's logs and crew agreements lodged by ship owners. The information contained in the register is used to verify entitlement to wartime service medals. THE FOLLOWING POINTS TO SUCH A NAME IN THE SERIES,BUT THE DATES ARE NOT CORRECT AS YOU MENION 1940 Possibly Hugh will come to the rescue here! Thanks Hugh in advance Part 1: European origin mainly > Series 1, mainly of European origin, mainly 1942-c19651941 Jan 01 - 1946 Dec 31 BT 382/915Jordan C to Jorgensen W G
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 27th November 2013 at 04:08 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello John,

There will be no CRS 10 for both the Jorgensen brothers as the BT 382 series of records only begins from January 1941 and he and his brother were lost in 1940. In any case the CRS 10 would not hold a photo of the seaman.
    The only place there will be a photo in the seaman's records will be held in a seaman's pouch held in BT 372.

Could either of these two be him - I note you are not sure of his Discharge Number?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=C8211698

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=C8219158

Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 27th November 2013 at 11:31 AM.
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see you have provided further information on the brothers on another site and the pouches above will not have a bearing here as it would seem K H Jorgensen was born in June 1907.
    Records prior to Jan, 1941 are held in the Central Index Register otherwise known as the Fourth Register of Seamen. Those seamen who were to serve during WW2 would have had there cards from the old CIR transferred into BT382 (The Fifth Register of Seamen). Service prior to 1941 would be noted in his seaman's pouch and held in BT 372. Unfortunately circa 95,000 pouches were destroyed and it would seem that he doesn't have a surviving pouch.

This looks like his medal file: http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=D4348116

Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 27th November 2013 at 11:51 AM.
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc,
    Very Many thanks for your reply, but going by what Hugh says in his message I don't think there is any hope. but thanks again anyway.
    John.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Hugh.
    I would like to thank you for your reply and your efforts in trying to locate a picture of Kia Henry Jorgensen for me, but sadly to no avail.
    would there be any where else that I could try to see if I could obtain a picture of KHJ? or was that the last resort with the loss of the records that you mentioned?
    best wishes
    John.