Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain killed in collision.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Channel 4 is not publically funded , I still do not agree with prayer calls on it though

Channel 4 is a British public-service television broadcaster which began transmission on 2 November 1982. Although largely commercially self-funded, it is ultimately publicly owned; originally a subsidiary of the Independent Broadcasting Authority (IBA), the station is now owned and operated by Channel Four Television Corporation, a public body established in 1990, coming into operation in 1993.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is akin to some of the events here in Oz. Many shopping centres refused to allow Christmas decorations to be put up, or carols on the public address system. Some schools banned nativity plays. Why, because they thought it would offend the Moslem society. Thankfully it was one of the Moslem leaders, born in Oz, who got onto the gov and a directive came through telling shopping centres, schools etc that such practices would not be tolerated. We attempt here to be non discriminating when it comes to religion. Just had a parliamentary secretatry swon in on the Koran. It has been done obviously to showq the good side of Moslems, but such actions sadly only inflames peoples thoughts and actions on such matters. Will Channel 4 broadcast similar events for other religions, Jewish, Catholis, Bhudist, Anglican etc??
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

leratty Guest

Ivan, was this correctly reported as I find it difficult to believe that any national let alone broadcaster would say such a thing maybe I am naive?

"The BBC (Bash Britain Corporation) has announced that it will broadcast the ****** Call to Prayer live every morning on Channel 4 during Ramadan as a deliberate act of provocation aimed at viewers who associate ***** with terrorism and extremism." Amazingly thought provoking as to the management of that organisation & the fact zero appears to have been said more so.

Hi Brian, it is great you seem to have been able to find a outcome to the mystery. Based on those flowers I still feel there is-are some relative-s there as why else would anyone put flowers on the grave unless it was an anniversary, even then one would think after all this time it would also be a relative or very close family friend?
    I wonder what the outcome of the holding of the other vessel as well as any inquiry was, would there be a record held?
    Richard
    Last edited by leratty; 4th July 2013 at 07:31 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rixhard,
    he had children, and possibly a widow, so I guess they must look after the grave. It was only a few days after the anniversary of his death when I took the photo, so I guess that is why the flowers were there.
    I will try and check out if there was an inquest or court of inquiry, the Moroccan ship was arrested when it arrived in the UK. I am very limited on time at the moment have a million probs to tend with.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default As far as I am aware

Quote Originally Posted by leratty View Post
    Ivan, was this correctly reported as I find it difficult to believe that any national let alone broadcaster would say such a thing maybe I am naive?

"The BBC (Bash Britain Corporation) has announced that it will broadcast the ****** Call to Prayer live every morning on Channel 4 during Ramadan as a deliberate act of provocation aimed at viewers who associate ***** with terrorism and extremism." Amazingly thought provoking as to the management of that organisation & the fact zero appears to have been said more so.

Richard
    Richard I am assuming you are not living within the UK, if you were you would see on a daily basis how this country's politicians (and others) are treading a dangerous path for their own ends, what these ends are no one has yet worked out, except probably the destruction of our country as we knew it.

Would a broadcaster say such a thing, yes they certainly would and do frequently. The article in question was published in the Independent (not my usual newspaper) of 2nd July 2013 (page 20) in the Religion column written by Adam Sherwin. I am not religious as someone else pointed the article out to me. I'm sure one of our more technical savvy guys can send you the article or perhaps you could search on line.

As an aside I am not prone to publishing such comments if I cannot back them up with facts as I have gleaned them, or as they have been presented (reported) sometimes I may possibly misread or misinterpret but in general just pass on verbatim.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

rk Sweeny in the Guardian - Mot a paper I normally read !!!!

Channel 4 is to air the ****** call to prayer live every morning during the month of Ramadan.

The broadcaster said it was an act of "deliberate provocation" aimed at viewers who might associate ***** with extremism.

The headline-grabbing move will see Channel 4 broadcast the three-minute call to prayer at about 3am for 30 days from the start of Ramadan on 9 July.

Channel 4 will also interrupt programming four times on the first day of Ramadan to mark subsequent calls by means of a 20-second film to remind viewers of the approaching prayer time.

After that date, the channel will air the 3am call to prayer on live TV, and the other four prayer times will be broadcast on its website.

Ralph Lee, Channel 4's head of factual programming, said: "The calls to prayer prompt ******s to carry out quiet moments of worship, but hopefully they'll also make other viewers sit up and notice that this event is taking place.

"Observing the adhan on Channel 4 will act as a nationwide tannoy system, a deliberate 'provocation' to all our viewers in the very real sense of the word."

Lee added in an article in the Radio Times: "No doubt Channel 4 will be criticised for focusing attention on a 'minority' religion but that's what we're here to do – provide space for the alternative and a voice to the under-represented.

"Following the horrific events in Woolwich and subsequent reprisals against British ******s, there has surely never been a more pressing need to give a voice to the moderate mainstream majority. And let's not forget that ***** is one of the few religions that's flourishing, actually increasing in the UK. Like Channel 4's target audience, its followers are young. It's recently been reported that half of British ******s are under 25."

The ****** Council of Britain supported Channel 4's move.

"This is a very special month for ******s and its recognition on a mainstream channel is not only symbolic for belonging and solidarity but will hopefully help to portray a more realistic account of ***** and ******s," said a spokesman.

He added that he believed nearly 5% of the UK will be actively involved in Ramadan and questioned whether the same could be said of other national events that gain significant TV coverage, such as the anniversary of the Queen's coronation.

A short film of two to three minutes, Ramadan Reflections, will run ahead of each morning's call to prayer.

The film, made by production company Watershed, will "feature a range of voices, from imams to architects, feminists to a former rock chick, each providing some serious Ramadan food for thought".

Channel 4 is also launching a season of programmes around the period of prayer, called 4Ramadan, starting on 8 July.

The broadcaster has a history of launching controversial programming to spark viewer and media reaction.

In 2008 the president of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, was asked to deliver its alternative Christmas message, a counterpoint to the Queen's annual speech.

Ahmadinejad, who is known for his controversial views on issues such as the Holocaust, women and homosexuality, delivered a seven-minute speech which sparked almost 300 complaints. The media regulator Ofcom investigated the speech, but cleared Channel 4 of breaking the broadcasting code.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The whole lot of that is digusting, Every decent Brit should black Channel 4 and also all the products that are advertised in the commercials.
    When I see Saudi, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq etc TV broadcasting Christmas Carols then I may think differently.
    Until then they can all get stuffed.
    We have over 16 mosques here, they know where they are so no need to broadcast it. They have stopped the Church Bells on a Sunday morning because it upset the Islamics, enough is enough.
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Captain killed in collision

It's strange that Channel 4 has come up regarding this as who ever runs this channel as far as I can see has a particular persuasion in favour of foreigners.I have pointed this out a number of times to my wife.Many TV quiz/game shows on TV have a smattering of foreign contestants,nothing wrong with that I would say.Channel 4 has a game show "Deal or no Deal" where you can win upto £250,000 I'm sure that you need to be foreign to get on it,many ****** male and female contestants,I don't know what the selection process is.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    ,I don't know what the selection process is.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    Perhaps you have to have an affinity with those poor childhood products who have suffered a disjointed childhood where-in some one of similar views or affinity has blown up, planes, trains or buses, or likes to behead people who insult an unknown entity and who like to take all the advantages that their imaginary enemies are enjoying so that they get rid of all these luxuries they currently enjoy won by others and paid for by others.

Whoops !!! Guess I'm on my way to the pokey shortly

leratty Guest

Brian, hope your million problems have eased & they have not been health or family. Yes understand he has family (thought so just from the cared for grave & flowers) let us hope at some stage they know that an old sailor showed the interest you did in their grandfather, father, husband. I am sure they would be pleased as I know I would.

Ivan, no I have not lived in the UK for a long long time. When I left the sea I went on to university in London then I worked all around the world in the mining & gas-oil industry. Then quite a few in China & Hong Kong, now in France looking to retire here. It is very very saddening for me to read such things, hear & see the way the older generation are thinking as to the UK & where it it appears to be heading along with their difficulties in being able to afford a reasonable standard of living. We do come there moderately regularly of course enjoying it. On saying that though must say I am deeply concerned that the UK maybe becoming some sort of non UK from my times living there. Manchester recently shocked us as I had not been there for quite a few years. Not one white taxi driver, all appeared to be Sikh? Went there to see the IWM. Ivan here in France we are gob smacked at the huge numbers of Arab & African people everywhere, by that 18th-19th 20th (10th to a degree) Arrondissments mainly. They have literally taken over the 18th. They urinate everywhere in public so it stinks of it all the time, they spit all over the place the pavements are covered in it. Their vibes are bad they are standing on all the street corners have taken over quite a few of the small parks. In all seriousness you would not wish to be there during the evening or hours of darkness.
    Interesting for us as when we came here almost a year ago we thought Paris very homogenised-integrated. Now we know quite a few locals, we hear their thoughts not quite as strong as those in the UK never the less simmering under the surface the same resentment & desire to reclaim their country, but how?
    Last edited by leratty; 11th July 2013 at 03:47 PM.

11. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast