Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gun Tackle

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gun Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. F. E. Peera View Post
    Can GUN TCKLE be used to discharge/load 10 ton wt with 5 ton SWL derrick. never experienced before.

Capt. Peera
    Well Captain Peera, you have no doubt read all the replies to date, what do you think?, are you going to do it?, or play by the rules to safeguard those who would have to carry out the 10t lift with 5t gear, and not even contemplate the exercise.

Whilst we are not waiting with baited breath for an answer an inkling of your thoughts on the matter would be appreciated

2. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I to am interested in how one would do that lift. First thougts would be to do it very carefully.

Sounds like you had an iteresting life with lifting gear as well. As I said I was into rigging so involved with all types of gear and as you say could take a long time in the planning so that you only did it once and got it right. I know that I would be hard pressed to do the formula's now and after a while it was just knowing that caused this to happen especially when it all went metric even though it made it easier to work out. One soon learns to listen to others and accept opposing views in that game do they not.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Woodard View Post
    I to am interested in how one would do that lift. First thougts would be to do it very carefully.

Sounds like you had an iteresting life with lifting gear as well. As I said I was into rigging so involved with all types of gear and as you say could take a long time in the planning so that you only did it once and got it right. I know that I would be hard pressed to do the formula's now and after a while it was just knowing that caused this to happen especially when it all went metric even though it made it easier to work out. One soon learns to listen to others and accept opposing views in that game do they not.
    Hi Les, don't think I would do it, unless it was absolutely vital to save someones life if they were trapped etc

Don't know about an interesting life, it certainly has been varied and certainly wouldn't have changed a thing, apart from my first wife dying at an early age from the "C" I have really nothing to complain about.But as my old mum used to say "Remember no matter what happens in life to you there are always other people worse off" and that has always stood me in good stead

5. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The one I have always bored my kids with. I once complained about not having any shoes until I met a man with no feet. That has always put things in perspective for me.

Now duck as the incoming sayings fly.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

7. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Due to a contractor who did thinking not checking I once had a five tonne evaporator to lift across a roof , he had a twenty five tonne crane booked which was ( 2005 ) £300 for the lift , Big error the 132 tonne crane required cost £1500 . The best of it is the local crane hire guys here will always advise on the lift free of charge to save later arguments . One of them gave me a "Sparrows " ( now British Crane Hire , I believe ) handbook , showing all their cranes , and radius of lifts at various tonnages . II used to favour all terrain cranes because they were more manouverable around site , but the short wheelbase severely restricted their capacity at the extremes of radius . The worst example was a lorry mounted 60 tonne Hi-Ab type crane that lifted 60 tomnnes at 1 M , and less than 20 tonnes at 2 M then 10 at 3 M , so the capacity was effectivly useless .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gun Tackle

Tackles... Rigged to Advantage and Disadvantage, Rigged to Advantage was when the hauling part and the load were moving in the same direction and vice versa for disadvantage. Nearly every case of using a tackle was rigged to disadvantage, I used to wonder about this but gave up years ago trying to figure it out. Unless I have picked this up and being misinformed in which case I have had this bit of useless information gathering dust for donks in the back of my mind. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

weight versus radius modern day cranes weather wheel crawler or tower have built in electronic limits built in so you cant go over the radius of the load in the cab an alarm rings and the limits shut down the crane until you bring the load closer to the crane frame I spent nearly a year driving a tower crane and if you notice there are flags along the jib with safety weight limits on them? I did have one job lifting a section of a railway bridge from across a canal using sheer legs and the winch of the crane we could not get close enough for the lift we got the section onto the canal bank and cut it up it did bring back lots of rigging skills six fold purchase came in handy even the boss was lost made a few bob on that job?jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Tackles... Rigged to Advantage and Disadvantage, Rigged to Advantage was when the hauling part and the load were moving in the same direction and vice versa for disadvantage. Nearly every case of using a tackle was rigged to disadvantage, I used to wonder about this but gave up years ago trying to figure it out. Unless I have picked this up and being misinformed in which case I have had this bit of useless information gathering dust for donks in the back of my mind. JS
    As far as I can recall and it has been a long time. A gun tackle and handy-billy are almost the same except that a gun tackle is rigged to disadvantage and would be most likely on a derrick hoist but a handy billy is rigged to advantage and would be put to such use as hauling in the tricing pennant on a life boat.
    The reason I know is that I failed my Second Mates orals because I didn't know.
    When I went back a week later to resit the orals I got the same examiner and he only asked me that one question again. I got it right, he said I would never forget it and what do you know here we are 47 years later and I still haven't forgotten.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wonder whatever happened to Capt Peera, did he try his 10 tonne lift with his 5 tonne derrick, was it successful, or is he laying under the load and that's why we are not getting a response, or was he after all a budding Mates and Masters examiner and was just testing us, it would be nice to know!

13. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI All.
    Biggest lift I ever was involved in was a locomotive we discharged in Freemantle, If I recall correctly[ it was in 1950} it was the only bit of cargo in number two hold. We had to rig the jumbo derrick, as a JOS to me this was seamanship the bosun in charge directing the rigging most of it was already rigged and under canvas, but we had to get all the guy blokes in place and heavy duty wires out, long time ago now but oh! the memories. Thank you Capt Peera wherever you are.
    Cheers Des

redc.gif

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast