Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Discharge Book numbering from WW 2 to 1972 for British seamen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Discharge Book numbering from WW 2 to 1972 for British seamen

Think I have put on here before somewhere. Every person at one time who was signed on the ships agreement had to have a record of his signing on and signing off, as all seamen will know if they are seamen that is. The only person by law who did not have to have was the ships master. His proof of being there was on the ships registration document .
    When the BOT/ DOT/ MOT/ DTI / and today HM Coastguard in their infinite wisdom brought in that certification of mariners was reliant on having to be able to prove at least 2 years actual seatime in every 5 years , then I for one and suppose others may have done the same gave myself the same discharge as all seamen got as ready proof to the Deot. Whichever one it was that I had and was no need to to do a fortnight’s course of re- validation of certificate called an update of knowledge. with the huge number of vessels I was on I had to go back to number 1 book to utilise also. This was only for personal uses to aid my memory. So my 3 books are really crammed and are apart from some of the paper dischages I gave myself. I must admit however as regards book number 1 , the temptation was always to do away with the VG and put in Excellent.. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th December 2022 at 02:42 AM.
    R575129

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes JS
    I do recall having been given Copy of my Agreement for the 2 Years when starting with UCL. However and funny this one , but as at that time many were taken on with the UCL, in Cape Town (That being the main Port for signing on) but also there was Durban, that did it!

Anyway i did not get to actually see my Agreement until i had reached London,s KG5 , Tilbury as it was only then i was sent down to the Offices and there obtained them. This along with my Discharge Book, and ID Card.

Although i had oficially signed on in Cape Town , i sailed from there to London as 1st Class Asst Stwd on the old Dunnottar Castle, minus any actual Seamans Book or ID. Only had a Temp. Piece of Paper with lots of Jargon on it ! LOL

To end though all the trips i did were recorded in that Book, with Conduct etc, and all VG. Yipee! Dont know how ! LOL

Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are only a limited number of pages in a book.
    If you are given a second one is the number different or does the old one carry on?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You keep your Number for life John.
    Just a new Book issued when old one is full, then just carries on and on! My late Uncle had quite a few Books, i have one of them as a Keepsake after his passing, another went to one of his Sons in Londo, East End and the third to his Wife at the time of his passing here in Sydney!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: dis A R 419585

Good day all,

I have two discharge books, the first R882827 was issued 3rd February 1970. The books were changed with respect to some content it appears and on 4th January 1973 I was issued another book with the same number. Not much help on the introduction of the UK numbers in consequence.

10. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: dis A R 419585

#237. As already said Robert the date and book number you were issued with retained the same number thro your time at sea , I have 3 books of varying types but also, issued wth the same number . The UK initial was only given to new entrants . Your information confirms this . JS
    R575129

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HiGuys, Merry Christmas and Season’s Greetings. Just a few words on personal voyage (Trip) record.
    I only used one book but my older brother had two and can confirm both books bear his same number.
    Ten years ago next month I signed off my last ship in New Jersey (US flag) and received yet another small, thin, paper certificate bearing similar vessel name, rank and brief voyage information as that endorsed in my UK Discharge Book. I much prefer the book record as everything is in there for all to see, including the normal VG (VeryGood) and the odd DR (Decline to Report) if one had been a bad lad and ended up being logged. Plus basic voyage type FG (Foreign Going) or HT (Home Trade) in US call it (Inland Waters). Anyway, it is a pain keeping a collection of small loose certificates …. Thinking I will record them by hand in my book as suggested herein so as to maintain an orderly record for whomever cares or takes an interest in my Merchant Service.
    Will still keep my envelope of certificates in the back of my book but expect they will go astray one day.
    Another US Merchant Marine rule is each of the Mates to post their Certificate of Competency behind framed glass
    on the cross alley-bulk-head for all to see. Remains there for the entire voyage.
    While on the subject (sort of) … I hated having to hand over my 2nd Mate’s Certificate before the handed me my
    Mate’s. Reason :- My 2nd Mate’s was a thing of beauty … perfect gothic script. My1st Mate’s is in also done by hand but in thin engineering script. Neat and tidy but rather plain … chuffed as heck to earn it as that what mattered most !
    Cheers, Keith aka ”Snowy”
    Keith Adams
    R570384

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#239 The Liberian cert. believe is modelled on the US one Keith with same instructions for display Also the Cayman Islands which I have among my collection. The Panamanian one I never received as sailed before it arrived so maybe in use today by a ginger haired Imitation Geordie off the Dark Web. Cheers hope Santa Was kind to you this year. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th December 2022 at 04:21 AM.
    R575129

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Keith Adams liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

R872593. 1969.

18. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)