Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Seaman's card and book for South African

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I apologies if my remark caused offence John,it was not meant to be facetious. Now the reason for your need is clearer some one may help you achieve your goal. Good luck with it and stay safe.
    All the very best Neil.
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Just trying!!

Hello John
    Welcome to the site!
    As an Ex South African and having been at Sea for a short while,i was of course able to get Both Discharge Book and Seamans ID,however this was a long time ago,and things have changed a wee bit!
    Now not to confusr this issue John,you say you served 6 Years in the British Army!?
    Now are you not as an ex Serving Army Member entitled to apply for British Status!? I know that at the time i was in Britain i was actually approached by the local Constabulary after 2 Yeras being there and asked if i wanted to take Citizenship out! To my detrement i refused at that time how bleedin stupid of me! But thats life!
    Anyway back to your position!
    Why not approach the British Embassy in SA and ask the question,after six Years with the BA surely you are entitled to British Status!????
    But as said things have changed!
    I really wish you well in yout plight John,and i am sure with perserverence you will get your Seamans Book and also possibly ID ??
    All the best
    The advice given on this site is always true and good! So do read and take it all in! All helps !
    Alles van die beste maat!
    Hou die blinkant B0!
    Cheers

http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/msf4509.pdf

I declare that:-
    a. I am employed/have been employed/have been offered employment* on a United Kingdom registered vessel,
    or
    b. I am a United Kingdom Seafarer with the right of abode in the United Kingdom and am employed/have been
    offered employment* on a non-United Kingdom registered vessel and am unable to obtain a discharge book
    from, or acceptable to, the Flag State of the vessel for the following reason(s):-
    (please provide full details)
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question British Seaman's Discharge book/I.D.Card

I have been reading this thread with great interest. I still do not understand why this guy needs a BRITISH DISCHARGE BOOK or SEAMAN'S IDENTITY CARD. In the past any one could sign on a British registered vessel in many positions and receive a paper discharge. This happened to me on my first ship as a catering boy. In those days a discharge meant more for the collumns marked rank/rating, abillity and conduct than ship, type of voyage etc. Nowadays it only seems to matter about rank or rating. What would this guy sign on as? The old catchall of supernumery? Seamens I.D. cards have been out of fashion for years, Passports have been used in there place for I do not know how long. This is not just to fly out and join a ship but in the majority of ports visited by the ship. By the local immigration services. Even a British discharge book meant nothing on the majority of Foreign flag vessels that I sailed on Norway, Kuwait,Bahamas etc.
    I live in a charitable housing trust flat here in London all the residents are ex H.M. Forces or Merchant Navy. 3 of the residents (2 ex Paras and 1 ex Royal Marine) are presently doing similar security work for a major French and Italian shipping companies. None of these guys have or need SEAMANS PAPERS of any description. When any of those guys return I will ask them why they do not need seamens I.D. but this bloke does

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Strict Rules There!!

Hello John W
    I know where you are coming from on this ,and i also have asked myself that question,however one must remember that we are dealing with a very different Government here,South Africa has many different ays to their systems,and just possibly this is one of them!
    As i have been away from South Africa for many Years now,i am not sure as to what goes on there,but i can tell you even me applying for a renewal passport (i have still got dual citizenship) is a bleedin headache,with so much Red Tape its not funny!
    So this Year i have decided to stop the process and just stick to the Aussie passport!
    I know this is not allpying to the actual post,but its just a thought!??
    Cheers

Its a hard life ! LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2