Thread: Sponsorship dilemma

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Sponsorship dilemma

Hi, I hope someone can help me here.

I have been offered two sponsorships for foundation degree deck officer cadetship. One with a bulker company, which would carry more of a garuntee of work at the end of it. The other is a scolarship from maritime london, which would bring with it more varied sea experience, but less of a garuntee of a job when finished.

Any recommendations on which to choose,

Thanks

Graham

Gulliver Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Baines View Post
    Hi, I hope someone can help me here.

I have been offered two sponsorships for foundation degree deck officer cadetship. One with a bulker company, which would carry more of a garuntee of work at the end of it. The other is a scolarship from maritime london, which would bring with it more varied sea experience, but less of a garuntee of a job when finished.

Any recommendations on which to choose,

Thanks

Graham
    Welcome Aboard Graham !

My word - "foundation degree deck officer cadetships " I envy you.I'm impressed-My cadetship subjects involved such tasks as boxing the compass in quarter points,finding the ship's position by Marc St.Hilaire)intercept) method,splicing wire ropes,and studying ships bottom structure by a quaint custom known as 'bilge diving.'.. Oh,and learning not to make spelling mistakes such as SCHOLARSHIP and GUARANTEE...

I somehow think you'll be studying rather different subjects than those- which will probably turn you into a 'different ' kind of mariner to me and my contemporaries....

About your decision. 40 years ago I would have undoubtedly gone for the option that gave me the chance to gain as much variety of ship type experience as possible.
    These days though...I suppose it would be more prudent to opt for the company that can 'guarantee' future employment at sea'-though once again I feel we are crossing into oxymoron territory saying that.....

I do envy you for embarking upon a nautical career,but am glad that I did that all those years ago,and not at this stage in the history of the Merchant Navy.

All the Very Best in your future career at sea..Hope you go far !

Gulliver