Thread: Hildebrand?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hildebrand?

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help with a puzzle? I have this photo (please see attachment) that was passed down to me from my family who are now all passed away. I am tracing my family history and beleive that the man in the photo is John O'Hara who served on the SS Hildebrand in the late 1800's early 1900's.
    I cannot, however, identify the cap badge, this would help pin down the identity of the man in the photo.
    Please can anyone identify the badge or the shipping line?

Many thanks for your help in advance

Ian

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Hope this helps:

Hope this helps:

Attached:

K.

Gulliver Guest

Default Ian Ford....HILDEBRAND

There were 3 Booth Line (of Liverpool)vessels (named HILDEBRAND.The first Hildebrand was built in 1893 and later transferred to a subsidiary company,Iquitos S.S.Co of Liverpool and renamed Huayna.In 1911 reverted to Booth Line as Hildebrand.In 1917 converted to Q ship by Admiralty (merchant ship with hidden guns to lure submarines to surface) and held several fictitious names during this period,.In 1919 sold to Spain renamed Manuel Carsi..Wrecked off Cape Torinana 19.5.21

The cap badge might just possibly depict a ‘B’-for Booth Line- flag (as below) in the top left quadrant ?-later caps I believe just had the ‘B’ so the one in the photo might be an earlier version of the badge.

Re pictures,I can only find pictures of the two later Hildebrands of 1911 and 1951 which were passenger/cargo vessels. Your 1893 Hildebrand was a cargo vessel of 1,947 tons built by Hall Russell of Aberdeen.and would be similar to HUBERT- a sistership to Hildebrand - and is attached below.
    Regards
    Gulliver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thanks

Hi Guliver,

Many thanks for your reply, lots of information to dig into. Its becoming quite a passion for me now to find the meaning behind the badge, having trawled the internet to find one similar nothing has turned up so far.
    On closer inspection it seems to be a Liverbird in the centre of the flag in the badge, my first thought was the merseyl ferries but soon discounted that, so am guessing its a liverpool shipping company and as you say Booths fits the bill.

Many thanks again and best wishes

Ian

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Hildebrand etc:

In the main, please do not give up. The more you find the better. All on site will help and work with you.

Please, please keep in touch, not only can we pos all help, but we can learn much also.

K.