Thread: Ships crest / logo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ships crest / logo

Hi Forum

Ive attached a copy of ships crest that was on a recently obtained plate. Does anyone know which shipping line it belongs to ? Many thanks - Steve

Gulliver Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Slater View Post
    Hi Forum

Ive attached a copy of ships crest that was on a recently obtained plate. Does anyone know which shipping line it belongs to ? Many thanks - Steve

Hi Steven and Welcome Aboard.I don't know,but I can obviously see the letters P,A,S and C,not necessarily in that order !

Maybe(and this is just one possibility)- Pan Atlantic Steamship Corporation,which operated both pass/cargo services from New York & Miami to New Orleans & Panama.
    Set up by the Waterman Steamship Co.in 1933 and became part of Sealand in 1960.

Doubtless there will be more suggestions for you.
    Best Regards
    Gulliver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Steven,

I cannot help you with the identification of the logo you attached but be assured someone on this site will be able to help.

I hope you do not mind me digressing on your thread whilst still maintaining the thrust of the thread as I think the members will find this interesting.

I once worked for an American shipowner who dispensed with such things as logo's and such. In fact, given his way he would have dispensed with the funnel but, realizing its necessity made do with the stack itself without the casing. Having always maintained painting his funnel black when trading on his own account and sporting the logo of the Charterer on Time Chartered vessels only (Gulf Oil... Bantry Class and Navios for the Ore Class) it was suggested that he do what his competitors do and identify his ships with a logo rather than a black funnel.

The idea was the brainchild of a new employee into the Chartering Dept ( ex Harvard MBA etc, etc ). This bright young thing decided that the logo should be designed internally rather than outsourced which the owner would never tolerate. The prize for designing the accepted logo was USD 2500.00.

After many months and much time filtering through the prospective logos one was identified and selected as the winner who, incidentally was a Greek shipmaster Capt Babxxxxxxx who I relieved on the ‘Mariner’ in 74.
    The logo showed ‘two fists wringing/stretching a US Dollar with liquid drops falling (being squeezed) from the Dollar note

The owner was not known for his sense of humour . The Harvard whizkid was promptly sacked and Capt Babxxxx was transferred to Ore Class (Porto Ordaz to Mississippi)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would that have been Ludwigs ?.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good morning John,

Yes that was the shipowner Daniel K. Ludwig. Probably one of the greatest entrepreneurs of his day. Sadly passed away in 1992 (aged 95). Without doubt the best employer I ever worked for.

Brgds

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bill Davies View Post
    Good morning John,

Yes that was the shipowner Daniel K. Ludwig. Probably one of the greatest entrepreneurs of his day. Sadly passed away in 1992 (aged 95). Without doubt the best employer I ever worked for.

Brgds

Bill
    Sailed with a German master in Tradax, he had been with Ludwig's. Capt J A Tiechmann. Very professanal.

Ray

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray McCerery View Post
    Sailed with a German master in Tradax, he had been with Ludwig's. Capt J A Tiechmann. Very professanal.

Ray
    I recognise the name Ray.
    The vast majority of the Masters and Chief Engineers were German

Brgds

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Port Captain in 1974, with Jackson Marine, was Captain Herbert Krusell. I believe he also held a Square-rig Master's Certificate. A consumate seaman and imbiber, Class One! Ex Ludwig's I suspect. His party piece was to goose - step to German military music! Any recollection, Bill ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by captain gordon whittaker View Post
    My Port Captain in 1974, with Jackson Marine, was Captain Herbert Krusell. I believe he also held a Square-rig Master's Certificate. A consumate seaman and imbiber, Class One! Ex Ludwig's I suspect. His party piece was to goose - step to German military music! Any recollection, Bill ?
    Evening Gordon,

That is not a name I recognise. There were many who did one or two trips and left. To some the accommodation was an issue and long trips did not help. I put those considerations aside and stayed for the money. On reflection, another regret I have.

Brgds

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill,
    I have just put an obituary on `Crossed the Bar` thread of an ex Ludwig, man, Joe HYDER.
    Wondered if you had come across him.
    Cheers,
    Brian