Thread: Information on Pursers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Information on Pursers

My grandfather went missing about 1925-27. I believe he was a purser or assistant purser on the New Zealand Shipping line routes from Southampton to New Zealand via Panama. How can I find out more about his sailings, the role of the purser, and whether he would be listed as a Merchant Seaman or as something else. I believe he sailed circa 18th July 1925 to New Zealand via Panama and the Carribean

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SueHayter View Post
    My grandfather went missing about 1925-27. I believe he was a purser or assistant purser on the New Zealand Shipping line routes from Southampton to New Zealand via Panama. How can I find out more about his sailings, the role of the purser, and whether he would be listed as a Merchant Seaman or as something else. I believe he sailed circa 18th July 1925 to New Zealand via Panama and the Carribean
    Hello Sue,
    If your grandfather was Purser or Asst Purser it is most ll ikely he was on a passenger liner and the New Zealand Shipping Company has had a few of these over the years,they usually carried refrigerated cargo also. He would have definately been classed as a Merchant Seaman and it is possible he could also have been in the RN Reserve at same time although not obligatory. Southampton (or London) to NZ via Panama was the normal routing for these ships,the Carrabean call would most likely been a refuelling stop. Wish you luck in your search
    Stuart H
    R396040

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Pursers role

Forgot to mention the Pursers role on board passenger ships. Basically it was all office work concerning passengers & crew,customs papers,port pfficials etc. Also entertaining cocktail parties for certain passengers (the Captain ,Staff Captain also gave cocktail parties of course. The Pursers department would have dedicated Crew Purser (Asst urser) and Purserettes who always looked very nice in their naval type uniforms.
    Stuart
    R396040

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Information on Pursers

Thank you for your interestig reply. Unfortunately I have still not found him in Merchant seaman records, but I am still looking

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Basic info:

Quote Originally Posted by SueHayter View Post
    Thank you for your interestig reply. Unfortunately I have still not found him in Merchant seaman records, but I am still looking
    Unless, I have missed in a quick glance, would appreciate some basic info, such as full name, date of birth etc.

Will do all pos, but need every help.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Info ??

As said by Keith
    The full name etc would be of more help in trying to assist.
    Will await more on this!

Once a name has been established and we may have access to his File from the N Archives in Kew London ,then one can also apply for his Crew List from Cadada
    from the University Archives,which would also give more info on the Ships he was on!
    Then from there to the Guildhall Library for the Voyage Record Cards ,all this takes time and Money of course,but like many here it is well worth it in the end!
    Good Luck
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530