Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: James samuel wilding.

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Missing ships

Hello hugh, first ship that kew sent me was ss aronda he joined her 13/03, 1942, thats the ship he left to come back dbs to uk on the britannic. I dont have knowledge of earlier ships, have no idea why he left the aronda and became dbs, the aronda survived the war. So he was not coming home as a survivor. ? ? Its a strange coincidence i sailed on one of the ships he did, after he died, mv wanstead. Thats really following your fathers footsteps. ! Regards, tony.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Tony,
    That CR2 card in post #17 looks like a date of engagement on 'ARONDA 'of 13 March 1941 not 1942. What does your original look like?

I note the stamp of the MMO at North Shields. On that date in 1942 the ship appears to have been on her way from Columbo to Fremantle.

Regards
    Hugh

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up missing ships

Hello hugh, i think you have solved it, that date stamp does look as if its 1941, that would solve the missing time, thanks again, tony wilding.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It would appear that 'ARONDA' arrived in Bombay around about 21 June 1942 and departed 3 July for Oz. The 'BRITANNIC' left Bombay on Aug7, 1942 with your father aboard along with other members of 'ARONDA' and crew from other ships heading for Liverpool [arrived 21 Sept 1942]. 'ARONDA' appears to have stayed foreign for some time so maybe he just exercised his option not to sign on for another trip.

The form CRS 10 has not recorded the 'BRITANNIC' voyage. These documents were written up ashore and do have mistakes and omissions. The form CRS 10 and indeed his CR2 card suggest he was discharged from 'ARONDA' in Dock St' around September 1942 but this is clearly incorrect and what it does show is his arrival from 'BRITANNIC'.

Regards
    Hugh

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ship movements

HELLO HUGH, Cant thank you enough for all your help, i have tried to track ships movements, without success. TONY WILDING.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're welcome, Tony.

Movement cards can be downloaded to your computer. They are held at Kew in piece BT 389. Searchable database here: The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Refine Browse Criteria The cost will be £3.50 to download a ship's cards to your computer. Movement cards also contain errors and omissions.

Cross refer with ConvoyWeb here: Arnold Hague Ports database
    Click the link then on the left side click 'Ship Search' then enter the ship's name.

When using ConvoyWeb don't do too many searches at once or you will not be able to search again without contacting the Webmaster.

Regards
    Hugh

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3