Thread: Fredrick Trist

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fredrick Trist

Hi,
    My Grandfather was chief steward for the Union Castle Line at the time of his death at sea in 1928. He was buried in Capetown. I have original menus from RMS Briton and RMS Saxon. There is a story that he was aboard a ship called The Capellonia about 1918, (I cannot find any trace of this vessel), with someone who I believe to have been a Mr Cayzer, who would appear to have owned Clan Line. There are in the family, 3 wine glasses believed to have been given to my Grandfather by Mr Cayzer. Have you any ideas that may help test this story please.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Ann
    The Company (Clan Line) was indeed owed by Kayzer,and it is more than possible that your dear Grandfather was given these Glasses!
    They were a Scottish concern as far as i recall,and as you will see were also involved in Caledonia Investments,this Company funnily enough was part of our Family history,(that is the Caledonian Society) as my late Grandfather AJ MacDonald and wife (Grandmother) were both Members and he the Secretary of that Society !
    Small World!
    Cheers
    Hope this may assist ??

Thus far i cannot also find any Ship by that name ,but will keep looking!
    I am sure if it existed someone here will come up with it!

Shipping Line Histories - Clan Line

http://oceania.pbworks.com/w/page/8473431/UK_Clan-Line

You may be interested in getting this Book!

Link from SN

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=28181

Could that Ship have been the Caladonia??

http://iancoombe.tripod.com/id29.html
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1853 the Union steam Collier Company was formed. A fleet of five tiny ships by todays standard, including the Saxon, Briton, Norman and Dane.The intention was for them to bring coal to Southampton.But the Crimean war intervened and at the wars end in 1856 alternative arrangements were made for the shipment of coal.In 1857 the Admiralty invited tenders for a mail service to South Africa.
    On September 15 the Dane set out on the first mail run.She carried only six passengers and the profit for the company was only GB 102.
    In 1862 Charles Cayzer joined British India in Bombay, while Donald Currie founded the 'Castle' line of sailing ships between Liverpool and Calcutta.
    In 1878 Cayzer went into partnership with with his friend Captain Irvine as Cayzer Irvine and Co. They started Clan line which 78 years later merged with Union Castle.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your responses. Thanks to Ron Mappelbeck it has been discovered that a ship called Cap Polonio is the most likley candidate. Interesting history. In 1919 was surrendered to Allied Shipping Commision and eventually became part of the Union Casle Line. Was not fast enough for Cape Town trip and after refit tranfered to P&O. Returned to original owners, Hamburg-Sud, in 1921. I have found a picture of a model in Union Castle livery. Thankyou once more.
    Ann Robinson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cap Polino

Single Ship Report for "1143188"

IDNo:1143188Year:1915Name:VINETAKeel:Type:Auxiliary cruiserLaunch Date:25.3.14Flag EUDate of completion:8.2.15
    1919, standard 1920 - for SS surface Tons:1919, standard 1920> - for SS surface 20572Link:1403DWT:Yard No:221Length overall:Ship Design:LPP:194.4Country of build EUBeam:22.0Builder:Blohm & VossMaterial of build:Location of yard:SteinwerderNumber of
    screws/Mchy/
    Speed(kn):3Txt-17
    Naval or paramilitary marking :NA:*End:1936
    Subsequent History:

[L as CAP POLONIO] - 15 CAP POLONIO
    Disposal Data:

BU Bremerhaven 1q.36

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20...olonio-01.html

From old Ships
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530