Thread: service medal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default service medal

hi lads been out of merchant navy since 1975 found this site & started to find an intrest in it so got my mugshot in an my list of ships was looking through the magazine fullahead they where advertise about a services medal any ideas about it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you looik at the advert for the medal on the back of the Full Ahead, you will see a website link for Award Productions, who supply the medal and will find all the details on site. As this is a Commemorative Medal, you will have to pay for it.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks deep sea

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ropners

hi deep sea me again seen ur ropners flag was on the tanker thilby cant remember what year. we went to turkey first then the states then on the states an caribbean run ship crew paid off in curoso

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Ropner avatar is from my book "Ropner's Navy" detailing the history of the company from 1874-1997. Only sailed on two of their ships in the 1980's Ravenscraig and Appleby.

THIRLBY (4), 13,105grt, built 1958 (Sir J. Laing & Sons, Sunderland) for the Ropner Shipping Co. Ltd. Placed on bareboat charter to Shell Oil. 1982 sold to Greece renamed DIAMANDO. 1985 scrapped at Aliaga, Turkey.

Attached photo of tanker Thirlby from my Ropner collection.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only Ropner's boat I was on was the Bridgepool. 1972. Rolled like a bitch when empty! Played football down the hatches crossing the Bay of Biscay till the skipper came and gave us a bollicking!!!