Thread: new generation box boats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default new generation box boats

I have been looking at the diamensions of the 3 E maersk box boats,i was supposed to go to Hamburg to pick up one of the new Bay boats as A.B. in 72,I swallowed the anchor instead.My last trip on Protesilaus,in Kobe, I visited I think it was Tokyo Bay,I was amazed at the vast scale of everything,and she was 2000 units,with a crew of about 30.
    I cant get my head round these new monsters,18000 units,with a projected crew of 13,how is this made up,it must be a very technical team.I was on the Clearway,a car transporter,running downto Lagos,and we had a very small crew, 13, but she was only 1300 tons gross,how they will manage these monsters,I cant imagine.
    I hope some of you more modern seafarers can enlighten this old seadog
    Regards to all
    John Meekin
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 7th July 2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john meekin View Post
    I have been looking at the diamensions of the 3 E maersk box boats,i was supposed to go to Hambugh to pick up one of the new Bay boats as A.B. in 72,I swallowed the anchor instead.My last trip on Protesilaus,in Kobe, I visited I think it was Tokyo Bay,I was amazed at the vast scale of everything,and she was 2000 units,with a crew of about 30.
    I cant get my head round these new monsters,18000 units,with a projected crew of 13,how is this made up,it must be a very technical team.I was on the Clearway,a car transporter,running downto Lagos,and we had a very small crew, 13, but she was only 1300 tons gross,how they will manage these monsters,I cant imagine.
    I hope some of you more modern seafarers can enlighten this old seadog
    Regards to all
    John Meekin
    I have read where they can be managed by as few as 8 crew members on some runs, they can do Japan to U.S in five days and on that run only 8.
    Food is all frozen TV type meals and all crew have to do for themselves.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 6th July 2011 at 06:49 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What no light hearted banter as the steward puts your dinner down on the table , Come back King Line all is forgiven !!!! We had a troublesome bunch on the King Arthur , the second steward would lean out of the servery hatch and shout , Right men , hands up , who wants soup !! To have replaced him with a deep freeze and a microwave would have been a godsend . But I wonder what state the cabins are in after a couple of weeks , I cannot ebnvisage an old fashioned shop's master coming to grips with the mecahanical vaguries of a hoover . Do they have a roster to vacuum the dining salon , and when is it time to polish teh bulkheads , oh how glad I am to have retired .!
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool crews

the crew of thirteen consists of the following
    master
    mate
    2nd mate
    3rd mate
    4th mate/or apprentice
    ch eng
    2 eng
    3 eng/elec
    eng room hand
    deck hand
    deck hand
    deck hand
    cook.
    i must mention on these ships there is accomadation for 30.
    the crew of eight consists of
    master
    mate
    2nd mate
    ch eng
    eng hand
    deck hand
    deck hand
    cook
    regards to all
    mike
    Gallery Manager and Friend of the Website

R 693816

Please visit the Gallery to see the latest photos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    only did one trip on a "box boat" as such, circa 1969/70, that was on the " Beaveroak " Canadian Pacific Line, a converted general cargo ship, Tilbury to Quebec and back, seems we had to keep to a schedule, sail, arrive, and depart at specific times. The "Old Man" had so much time on his hands that he took us up past Whitley Bay where he lived ( So he could either wave or flash his Aldis to his Wife ) then around the Pentland Firth, not a smart thing to do in winter, the crew were not that impressed most of all the poor blokes in the Catering Dept.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes I never tried any of the Box Ships, i stayed with conventional Cargo ships with Derricks for as long as i could before I threw it in, Having all sorts of crew on the lod ships was great. I also hear that there are quite a number of Containers floating around the Oceans just beneath the surface, i couldnt think of anything worse to collide with if you were on a small pleasure vessel say around fifty feet and with no chace of seeing a sunken container you wouldnt stand a chance if a collision occured. all the best Glenn in Australia

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read that the owners, Maersk, wanted to have no crew at all, just a docking crew in LA and in Tokyo.
    The crew land by helicopter, berth it and are taken off by helicopter once the course and speed has been set. The US Coast Guard said "NO". same as the Insurance Company. Ship owners never change, mean as ever.