Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mickey Finn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Mickey Finn

Hi shipmates, I was talking to an old shipmate a while back he was as a young boy at sea in 1962, he took a trip ashore and was tempted to have a local brew??? in mexico he cant remember the por,t but it drove him crazy he ended up in a strait jacket on the ship, out off his mind got flown home Captains orders anyone know what this evil brew was called? did any one come across it? He is still teetoal after all these years and has flash backs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mind blowing drink

Probably Mescal, distilled from Mesquite. Very transcendental, allegedly !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Whats a mickey finn

Hi Captain Gordon, Hi Tony, Hi shipmates, The drink my shipmate had could be that one is it made out of catus juice? After what happen to him he only did one trip at sea {Never Again he told me} There were made strange drinks around the world? The one you were drinking Tony could be the stuff with the crystals in the bottle, on straw drink the bottle, and fill with water and you get a free one? after you drink water you get drunk again, I think I must have drunk some strange brews in many places' palm stuff? but cant remember much but had a great time I am sure many on this site have drunk many evil drinks like me?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

is that taff pead at the back of your photo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the Amigo View Post
    Hi Captain Gordon, Hi Tony, Hi shipmates, The drink my shipmate had could be that one is it made out of catus juice? After what happen to him he only did one trip at sea {Never Again he told me} There were made strange drinks around the world? The one you were drinking Tony could be the stuff with the crystals in the bottle, on straw drink the bottle, and fill with water and you get a free one? after you drink water you get drunk again, I think I must have drunk some strange brews in many places' palm stuff? but cant remember much but had a great time I am sure many on this site have drunk many evil drinks like me?
    There was a drink, think it may have been part of the Ouzo family, with crystals in the bottle and if you added water you had another bottle next day. Also with some of them you could get as high as a kite next morning just by drinkng some water.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mickey finn

Was outward bound on mv riebeeck castle, stopped at las palmas for bunkers, all i can remember is having 1 drink at a bar i think on the quay, close to the ship, next thing i remember is waking up on a ship, a liberty with an african crew, just got down the gangway befor she sailed, somehow managed to get back aboard my ship, flaked out in my bunk for 24 hours apparently they threw buckets of water over me to wake me, but no joy, up to then had a good book, so in the bridge the next day to be logged and flogged, chief engineer wanted to give me bad report, but old man said as i had a good book he did not want to spoil it, on condition i behaved from then on. C/e not happy, but i went teetotal for the rest of that trip, got 2 vg,s

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Drink was probably mescal. Made from one of the cactus family I seem to recall. Lethal, horrible horrible stuff :-) They also get mescaline from the same plant I believe but never tried that.
    The number of times I told people about the bottles with the crystals in them that gave you another bottle when filled with water is unbelieveable. I don't think anybody ever believed me.
    I was once slipped a Mickey in the Navvies Den in Capetown. Woke up next morning around lunch time with Commodare, surgeon, Chief Steward, the whole bloody lot of them in my cabin. Been pumping drugs into me trying to wake me seemingly. Still got logged next day though. 2 hours overtime, 52p if I remember correctly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation water water every where

Hi shipmates any one had a few palm toddies? or any other strange brews'? The ouso like stuff with straw in the bottles came in two colours pink and yellow both were very strong ?{ keep them coming }I was not the only person at sea who like a drink , any one remember so called "Ron Barcadi} in big bottles if you set fire to it bright blue flame? south America and a green drink a spriit in La rochell france cant' recall the name? was it starboard light? or was that one we made up?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All
    seem to remember this "Bacardi" drink, I was on the "St Thomas" a South American Saint Line ship
    (circa 1965) at a port called Bahai, I think it was a island off of South America something like that, if you had a £1 note you got 5 bottles, coins only 4 bottles, seem to remember the "Coke a Cola" cost more. LONG TIME AGO THOUGH.
    Last edited by Graham Payne; 2nd July 2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Graham R774640

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default mickey finn

when with PSNC On the Peruvian coast so many small ports we went to, almost every other day a new one. we used buy somthing called Jugs Of Joy, ! very cheap, that gave a nasty hangover, i used to drink heavy in port, allways hung over, logged a few times, did not drink when at sea, had more hangovers than i can count, but strange thing is when back in uk i never drank, still dont. lived 2 years in Spain well inebreated every night, strange.?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast