Thread: Ronald Frederick Mounsey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ronald Frederick Mounsey

I am trying to find out any information about my father. I know he served on a tanker during the second world war and was torpedoed off the coast of South Africa. He spent time in hospital in either Durban or Port Elizabeth. Any information will be gratefully received.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What was his date and place of birth ?

1941 to 1972 Fifth Register of Merchant Seaman's Service

These records are held at The National Archives in classification BT 382. The Fifth Register of Seaman’s Service 1941 to 1972.

Records of individual Merchant Seamen's sea service details are held in alphabetical surname order. These details include the following information: Name of seaman, Date and place of birth, Discharge (Seaman’s) book number, Rank, Details of the ships on which he served. These include:

Name of ship and official number, date of engagement (Joining ship), Date of discharge (Leaving ship), whether ship was a foreign going of home trade vessel, and records in some cases National Insurance contributions. Details shown in these records are similar to those contained in an individual seaman's discharge book.
    Last edited by DeepSea; 14th June 2011 at 06:31 PM.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)