Thread: Lomar Shipping

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lomar Shipping

Hello.

I am deck cadet off on my 1st sea phase in a few months time.

I am with a company called Lomar Shipping.

I am trying to find a bit of information about them. Aside from their website and a few hits on google about their London office I unable to find much info.

Has anyone had any dealings with the company good or bad???

Gulliver Guest

Default Lomar/libra

Hi ‘Spaccy’ ?

I remained at sea up until 1990,and even fifteen years before then, I gave up on trying to unravel which company owned or managed or chartered ships,or by what tenuous connection one vessel might be related to an identical one in the same fleet.!

This used to be the ‘norm’ in the Panamanian and Liberian registries,but was increasingly used in the British M.N. from 60’s onwards.

Your LOMAR company seems to be the epitome of a global enterprise that has diversified so much,and merely includes Shipowning and Management.
    Lots of Fingers in Lots of Pies…

It’s ships might just as well have a Blank Funnel with a giant Question Mark painted on as it’s logo !

I doubt whether any of us on this site (mostly ’ MN personnel of the 50’s to 80’s period)-the ‘heyday' of the British MN) would even recognise any of the names of companies in your LOMAR company …..or even care?

But congratulations and all the very best in your chosen career as a Deck Cadet.It would be nice if you came back on here from time to time to and regaled we old salts with your tales of life and experiences in the modern M.N.

Kind Regards
    Gulliver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lomar Shipping

Hi Spaccy

Congratulations in your chosen career, we feel sure you will not regret it, and as Gulliver says come back now and again and regale us with your exploits

BUT don't do the things we used to do, as the health and safety police will get you, but enjoy your experiences and we look forward to hearing about them. Don't worry too much about the origins of the company, its all part of the adventure, probably all the ships have gone by now, where your heart sinks into your boots at the first sight of your new ship you are about to join, some of the worst looking ships had the best shipmates on board take it as it comes, make life the adventure

Good luck and happy sailing

Ivan

P.S. Don't tell your mother everything, she'll only worry !!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default lomar shipping

They are the Greeks Logothetis family, nothing wrong with them had some dealings with them a few years ago. Front line Greek shipping good conditions dont worry.

I am glad you managed through, I spoke to you when you first came in on another thread, congratulations. I recommended you to Clyde Marine.

I dont know what Mr Cloherty has said in the last post I cant see it.

regards
    jimmy
    Last edited by jimmys; 10th May 2011 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Name change Hughes to Cloherty, a mistake

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lomar Shipping

Quote Originally Posted by jimmys View Post
    They are the Greeks Logothetis family, nothing wrong with them had some dealings with them a few years ago. Front line Greek shipping good conditions dont worry.

I am glad you managed through, I spoke to you when you first came in on another thread, congratulations. I recommended you to Clyde Marine.

I dont know what Mr Hughes has said in the last post I cant see it.
    regards
    jimmy
    Was there any need for that last sentence, why involve a youngster in your disagreement with others, how very sad, let me apologise to you Spaccy on behalf of all of us, Jimmy gave you good information on the other subject and should have left it at that

Ivan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up

G'day Spaccy and good on ya, I wish I was in your sea boots.
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lomar Shipping

Hi Spaccy,

Just a little tale for your interests, I was in Glasgow Marine office and I was the duty engineer for the weekend, On Saturday morning I was called out by a Clyde Pilot, a motor VLCC had engine faulure at Finnart Terminal. He had got her tied up but the terminal was closed. It was a Greek ship. I cant go into failure details but during the problem the Master had a heart failure. He was taken to a main hospital in Glasgow and no chance of return.
    The Superintendent was on the way from Greece and promoted the Mate, 2nd Mate and Third Mate which left a Third Mate short. There was a shortage of Third Mates and he was having trouble with a replacement, his Monacco Agency could not supply one.
    We had just had a management company failure in Glasgow and two young Third Mates were on the beach, Ticket, redundancy and no job. I said to him we have two here in Glasgow. Says he I will have a look at them. To cut a long story short he hired both one for the VLCC and one to fly out to Athens.
    I spoke to the young lad and he said I have never seen wages like this, the ship is almost new I never thought I could get anything like this.
    The owner asked the Super to look for any more and he got one from the South cant remember where.
    This was around 1993, if the ship you join has a Scottish Master keep your trap shut it might be one of those two.
    The company was not called Lomar but it was Logothetis. I think these two were the first British Cadets they had as Third Mates. It was 100% placement in jobs that year and most years.
    As I say nothing wrong with them.

regards
    jimmy