Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Burials at sea

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default burials at sea

R235941 in 1942 I was serving as a JOS (Junior ordinary seaman) age just sixteen years having put my age on by one year, the ship was a troopship (Highland Princess) with three thousand troops aboard bound for Durban. One day the bosun called me and said it was about time to learn my trade, hence, I assisted him to prepared a RAF officer for sea burial including the final stitch through the nose; we used a Red Ensign for covering as a RAF ensign was not readily available. At my age I did not have any rum after the burial and amazingly over sixty years later his daughter contacted me through emails and I was able to assure her that her father had a proper burial.
    Mentioning Durban I had the pleasure of hearing the Lady in White singing the convoys in and out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile never saw one

In my 20 years I never witnessed a burial at sea.However in 1951 us abs were painting the hospital on the Highland Brigade. in the mortuary of the hospital was a lead lined coffin so I would guess the family of any deceased passenger would expect their relative returned home.And maybe Royal Mail would just dump the crew overboard.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The last burial at sea I witnessed was in 1971 on the Southern Cross. The ship slowed at 0600 and the body was commited to the deep. Very few people were aware that a burial had taken place, hence the early morning despatch. The Master was Captain Wheatley.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have poured my Mothers ashes into the sea off Walney Island where she was born, and said the appropriate words .
    Also I poured the ashes of two brothers, Guy and Alan, friends of mine, both seafaring men, into the sea off the Mull of Galloway again with the appropriate words.
    At one of them, Guy, the sea was like a sheet of blue glass, not a ripple. beautiful sunny day. As I started the service, the head of a Seal slowly rose above the water and stayed motionless watching throughout, I said the words, and poured the ashes into sea and then scattered some roses from the family. The Seal, motionless throughout, then slowly sank beneath the water not even making a ripple. It was as if he was waiting to welcome Guy to the deep. A very moving moment.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 18th July 2011 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ships burials

during the late 1950`s we were coming home on the P & O R.M.S. Arcadiafrom Australia, on board were a Fijian Prince and his 3 wives, he was coming to England to meet up with the Queen, he got on in Sydney but between Fremantel and Bombay he became very ill and was put into the ships hospital where myself and another steward took 4 hour watch`s looking after him, wiping his body down with cool clothes, and feeding him through a pipe in his nose to his stomach, this carried on for a few days then one day i came off watch and within a few minute the other steward followed me down and said the old prince had died.
    He was put in the cold rooms in the storage areas of the ship and off-loaded in Bombay and flown back to Fiji for a proper ceromony and burial. we were thanked by the wives and if ever in Fiji we should visit the palce, i believe that the whole story was in "The Illustrated London News." I didn`t go back to Fiji until 2000 and then only stayed for an hour whilst the aircraft was re-fueled
    keith moody.
    NZ Ruahine 1955-6
    P&O Arcadia 1956-9
    BTC Canterbury
    BTC Maid of Orleans
    BTC Hampton Ferry
    Currie. MV England
    Clyde ship. MV Goodwin
    P&O Canberra 1961 maiden voyage

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4