Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Seamen's Missions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Patricia,
    As I lived in central England, I use the missions in the dock areas as 'digs' while looking for a ship.
    As most of us staying there had been on leave, we were almost broke and could only afford to stay at the mission.
    They provided a clean bed and the camaraderie of fellow seamen.
    Also frequented foreign missions for reasons already mentioned.
    Kind regards.
    Den.

2. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamens Missions

Hi Patricia. If I remember correctly there were 3 missions to seamen. The Flying Angel also known as the 'Flying Tabnab' which was of the Anglican faith because we all know that God was an Englishman. There was the 'Stella Marius' which was of the Roman Catholic persuasion and then there was The Mission to Seaman whose emblem was the 'Red Duster'. If I'm wrong in these statements rest assured the lads will be in to correct me.
    Last edited by Michael Lawrence; 27th April 2011 at 04:13 PM.

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamans Missions

Dear Patricia,
    In July 1961 I was sent to Curacao NA to join the Haustrum, a Shell Tanker, I worked my passage out there on the Platidia another Shell Tanker.
    I arrived there on 5th August 1961 the Haustrum had been delayed and I was put in the Seamans Mission until her arrival on 16th August 1961.
    During my stay there I was treated as one of their family, I was even taken out with them twice on picnics.
    Having nothing to do and very little money I asked if I could help out at the Mission and being a cook I helped in the kitchen.
    It was a wonderful two weeks spent there, nothing was too much trouble for them with the seamen who visited the Mission
    I would also like to tell you that every Christmas time every crew member of every ship berthed there was given a small Christmas parcel, what a wonderful gesture.
    If memory serves me right the Mission was run by the Salvation Army.
    Yours Sincerely

John Albert Evans

6. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up

Spot on Micheal and thanks to John Albert I think may be the Dutch shipping companies gave more support to the welfare of their seamen through the mission service. What do you think ?
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default The idea of a Mission to Seamen, which began in Wales

Flat Holm (Welsh: Ynys Echni) is a limestone island lying in the Bristol Channel approximately 6 km (4 mi) from Lavernock Point in the Vale of Glamorgan, but in the City and County of Cardiff. It includes the most southerly point of Wales.

The island has a long history of occupation, dating at least from Anglo-Saxon and Viking periods. Religious uses include visits by disciples of Saint Cadoc in the 6th century, and in 1835 it was the site of the foundation of the Bristol Channel Mission, which later became the Mission to Seafarers.

http://www.pwsts.org.uk/Barry1891-1951/index.htm

The Missions to Seamen

In 1858 The Missions to Seamen was formed from an idea of John Ashley, a young Anglican clergyman, who noticed a number of ships tied up in the Penarth Roads waiting entry into the docks. When he discovered that no clergy ever visited the seamen on these ships he formed "The Bristol Channel Mission" and began to visit and hold services on board. These visits were the start of a ministry to seamen, and to the lighthouse keepers and residents of Flat and Steep Holm Islands, and was the beginning of "The Missions to Seamen." This year after over 140 years being called the "Missions to Seamen" owing to the need for political correctness its name will change to "The Missions to Seafarers".

In 1860 the Mission approached the Admiralty and was freely given the use of HMS Thisbe that had been tied up for many years in Plymouth. It was towed from Plymouth to Cardiff East Dock where it was moored. A building for use as a Church was erected on the quarterdeck and services were held on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

In 1877 over 3,500 seamen and their wives attended services there, a small library and a reading room was provided where newspapers could be read, and also pens, paper and ink were available with help from locals for anyone who was unable to read and write. The idea of a Mission to Seamen, which began in Wales, spread all over the World, and most ports had buildings nearby dedicated to the cause. They were all named "Thisbe House" in remembrance of the first Missions to Seamen, but known by seamen all over the world as "The Flying Angel".

On Wednesday 16th August 1905, Lord Windsor laid the foundation stone of the new Barry Mission. A branch had been formed at Barry Island in 1901. The new mission, which was built of best Ruabon brick with terra cotta mouldings, opened its doors in Dock View Road in November 1905 and cost £4000, plus £500 for the adjacent dwelling house and Church. In the main building were a large recreation room (also used for boxing tournaments between ship's crews), a reading room, an officers' room, cadets' or apprentices' room, a quiet room, a coffee bar and a billiard room. The Church, complete with a carillon at the rear, and dedicated to St. Peter, was capable of seating 100 worshippers. The Basement was well lit and was used for storage and recreation. The flat roof had a garden laid out with chairs and tables, which were provided for taking refreshments, and had magnificent views of the Channel and shipping arriving at the docks. It was complete with an imposing square lookout tower together with a flagstaff. The building was designed by Mr. C.A. Kempthorpe and built by H.S. Rendell. When it opened in 1905 it was very nearly debt free with over £2000 guaranteed and £1500 promised.

During its life over 40,000 seamen and their wives passed through its doors annually.

The Church and Institute became part of a chain of similar stations situated around the Coast, and were built to extend to seamen the advantages of Church privileges, and to help counteract the many temptations of "Jack" while he was at shore. When it closed, the bell and lectern from the Church were stored in St. Mary's Church.

After the Institute closed Robert Tyley, a railway rolling stock dismantler whose business was situated on the Docks, bought it and renamed it R.S.T. House (called Rust House by the locals) and it was let out as offices. Later it was disposed of to Vandex Builders, and was used as a warehouse and office accommodation by the company for many years. It has recently been sold and is being converted into flats.

The British & Foreign Sailors Institute was formed in Barry in 1892 with its H.Q, Bethel, in Subway Road. Its first resident Missioner was Capt. E. Sharples. The building catered for distressed, sick, or seamen whose ships had been lost at sea. It had a large reading room and chapel. It was formed to promote the gospel and to provide reading material both religious and secular to seamen arriving in Barry. In 1920 a hall in Lombard Street was built and named Trafalgar Hall to enable young boys to be trained for sea. Later it became better known for its gymnastic team.

The Order of St. Paul the Apostle (The Priory) was an Anglican Monastic Order set up in India to help distressed seamen in the 1880's. Members of the order led by Rev. C. Walker (who took the name Father Austin) arrived in Barry and opened a mission in Station Street known as "The Home Priory". One room of the building was opened as a Church while the others were used as sleeping and living accommodation by merchant seamen. By 1894 the Order had moved to larger premises in Broad Street, and was known as "The Priory". A blacksmith's shop owned by Mr. Stephens was next door, and this was bought and converted into a tin Church which opened in 1898. It ran for many years with very little help and often in great financial difficulties. Father Austin in December of that same year wrote "This month we have accommodated 54 seamen who have come to us for assistance. We live on soup made from bones and thickened with crushed ships biscuits or oatmeal, and are grateful for the generous donations of food for our Christmas and New Year celebrations." Whilst in Barry it looked after sick and destitute seamen, often arranging medical attention for them and looked after the graves of seamen who died and were buried in Barry. In 1912 the Order left Barry and the Priory was closed. It is now a restaurant.

The Scandinavian Church - situated on Barry Docks near the Dock Offices, was built to enable ships crews from the Baltic countries engaged in carrying timber from the Baltic to Barry, to attend services held in their own language. It first minister was Rev. Achilles. On its closure as a Church it was used for a great many years as a meeting place for dock workers.

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 28th April 2011 at 03:35 AM.

10. Likes Doc Vernon, Liz Pearce liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default For Patricia, John, Neil and Keith

I used the missions when in port especially if very little dosh. One that I frequented was the 'Flying Tanab' in Rosario which was up the Rio Parana just before Sante Fe. Then there was the Stella Marius in B.A. and also the 'Stella Marius' again in Monte Video where Father Deacon presided and who was a Scouser. remember the Flying Angel in Mombassa where according to the padre God was most deffinately an Englishman and the class system was rife. Remember Padre Brown in Auckland Kiwi who would hold a dance on a Sunday and have the W.R.N.S. over from Devonport. Halfway thru he would hold a service and one of his sayings was, 'Put generously in the collection lads and if you 'ave no dosh try your neighbours pockets'. Great bloke, not like most of those Colonalists of Africa.
    Keith think you will still find a Scanenavian church in Cardiff dock area and also Swansea. Yes Pat I think you will find a lot of seamen who were grateful for the missions. You could also meet some nice girls there, oh memories of Argentina and Oz and Kiwi.

12. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Flying Angel in Melbourne iin 1950s was always a good one, always a dance every week, some very pretty girls, I saw one quite regularly there. The Padre was a big hard case, he had a severe stutterand a severe iron fist if any one got out of line.I saw him pick up a few seamen and fling them out of the door with bloody noses.

The one in East London, in the Eastern Cape of South Africa, was another good one, dancing every week on Saturday night, again some pretty girls,
    On Sunday 13 December 1953, we were in on the New Zealand Star, We had the dance on Saturday night then on Sunday the Padre and all the pretty girls took us on a coach trip to Bonza Bay. While they were setting out a picnic we went to go into the sea. "Mind the currents " one girl said, "they are strong around here".
    We went in the water and my mate Ken who could not swim got into difficulties and was carried away. I went to save him and I was carried away very fast. Ken drowned and I lost his body and then I was unconcious and was saved by a South African lad, David Brinton, the Padre took me to hospital in his car and they saved me. then we sailed for New Zealnd. His body was washed up five days later and he was buried in the East Cemetery by the Mission after a Service at the Mission in Buffalo Street.
    Three years later I went back and with only a few hours to spare I went to the cemetery to find his grave and couldnt. I had a few drinks in a bar in Oxford Street, Then the Padre burst through the door,
    "I have been searching for you, the ship is sailing." I got into his car and he ran me down to the berth , the ship was sailing through the breakwater, The Padre called the Pilot Boat and they came and followed the ship and when the Pilot left I climbed up the ladder.
    Thank you Padre.
    So the Padres do come in handy when you need them.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 28th April 2011 at 02:31 PM.

14. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hard case Padre

Kong. I wonder if that was the same bloke who was in B.A. in the early 60's. He had a ring set up for anyone who fancied their chances, recall he was an Aussie with a well worn face. We seem to forget the good work those people done. Does anyone remember Mrs McKay at the mission in Rosario, by all accounts she was decorated for her services to Britain in the WW11 on spying. Can't vouch for the authenticity but if she was it doesn't surprise me.
    Hey Captain when I came ashore I had married Welsh and joined the GPO in Cardiff. Another postie and I were discussing where we thought the best looking 'Shelias' were. He was an old Readon Smith man and reckoned they were in Chille, me I plumped for Argentina. It was a smashing summers day and we were in Queen St., 'Mind you', said Ron, 'these Welsh girls take some beating'. And me I agree with him ( I have the wife's permission to say this) Wales do produce quite a lot cracking women.

16. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamans Missions

Got to agree with your man from Reardon Smiths, having spent some considerable time up and down the Chilean coast, have got to say the Chilean ladies have a certain something, don't know how many of you guys got away from the port areas but a visit to Vina del Mar near Valpo could beat anything that Monte Carlo/Nice/Cannes/ London had to offer.But I still preferred my little Irish coleen an ex Rose of Tralee who became my wife with her slim figure, dark hair and flashing green eyes and a vitality and temprement that would have stood a volcanoe in good stead. The good lord took her too early but he certainly got a bargain

Sorry Patricia we seem to have deviated from your chosen course, but thats what happens when you get old seamen reviewing their past, no doubt normal service will be resumed when we all take off our rose tinted spectacles

Ivan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mike,
    I never ever got as far as the Seamans Mission in South America, there were plenty of beautiful and sometimes not so beautiful girls in the Calle Viente Cinco de Mayo, in B.A. I never ever got beyond that street of bars, Texas Bar, Marina Bar, Lighthouse Bar, May Sullivans Bar etc. Wow what a place. then I go back to BA two years ago and they have all gone, not one bar in the city, except for La Boca where the girls there are as rough as a badgers bum. [ See my photo on one thread,]
    The Skandi Bar in Valpo Chile was the place to go some very pretty girls there too , then there was Maria with her wooden leg, she could spin like a top on that peg leg when she was dancing. I went back to Valparaiso three years ago and it was still open and still had some pretty girls stood outside. I had my wife with me so couldnt linger long.
    I think pretty girls are every where.

I am three quarters way home
    from the start to the end
    and I wish I was 18 again...........George Burns. see on U-tube. brings tears to your eyes.

Sorry Patricia, I got carried away again from the Seamans Mission theme again.
    -Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 29th April 2011 at 04:17 PM.

19. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast