Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Seamen's Missions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamans Missions

Hi Patricia,
    As you maybe aware there was a more Victorian system of mission called the Sailors Homes. The first was in Liverpool around 1842 and it spread about the country. A large one in Glasgow. Link

http://www.pooleygates.co.uk/wp-cont...ilorshomes.pdf

It was still on the go in 1960's. Lot of info at this link, gives you a good picture. Stella Maris was maybe 1920 ish, same as the Tabnabs, a later system.

regards
    jimmy

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamans Missions

Patricia

First and foremost I and probably all of us would like to thank you, for thanking us for our replies, it is like a breath of fresh air, as believe it or not the lads go to immense trouble on occasions to help enquirers, especially those enquireies about long lost loved ones, replies with thanks for their efforts are like hens teeth, very rare, so thank you my dear for your responses.

The Missions would have had a tough job in the pre and immediate post WWII years trying to stop the majority of seamen for straying off the straight and narrow, as there were in excessof 140,000 British seafarers and the Missions could not have coped with all of them, and then there were all the other seamen of various nationalities to contend with.

I think perhaps the Missions have more success these days in keeping seamen on the straight and narrow, as there are possibly only about 10% of the post war era number at sea, as there are fewer and bigger ships with smaller crews. Most of the bars have closed down because there are no seamen to support them and think of all those poor unemployed females!!!!!!. Ships have hours in port rather than days and weeks as in the old days, so the Mission Bus is the only viable solution for a break from the "iron island" you are marooned on.

To answer your question, the Missions had limited success, when a ship was in port for three weeks or so, the Mission was not a viable option every night, despite the padres best efforts, but as they say " a few souls saved are manna from heaven" and the lost souls went home broke, the price alas of temptation!

Ivan

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rnmdsf

Royal National Mission Deep Sea Fishing.
    Going back to the twenties RNMDSF had a mission ship which was at sea with the fishing fleet,the mission ship was there to try to stop the fishermen buying cheap booze from Dutch Traders who were supplying the drink,the mission ship held a Church Service for any fishermen who wanted it,the mission ship also had a hospital and Docter to treat any illness and broken limbs which at times the fishermen had.
    IN them days as many as 50 fishing boats would be under control of a Admiral who told his fleet when to shoot the course they towed on and when to haul.
    In them days lots of young lads did a apprenticeship as a fisherman,most of them being forced into it.
    What fish the fishing boats caught was rowed over to the steamer and their fish was put onto the steamer
    which took the fish to the market at Billinsgate.
    The fishermen only had about three weeks ashore every year.
    I first went to sea 1947 by then things had improved after 12 days at sea two we had two days ashore.
    but the accomodation was still primitive.
    Every fishing port had RNMDSF where you could get a cheap cup of tea a game of snooker or ping pong.
    Regarding the seamens missions around the world yes we would pay them a visit but the average seamen
    wanted something more lively than a cup of tea.
    Must say the missions did a sterling job,was in Rotterdam Xmas 1956 they brought every member of the crew a present included in mine was a china plate which I still have on display after 55 years.
    Did the Missions stop any seamen going off the track? I dont think so.

A book North Sea Fishers and Fighters written by Walter Wood, tells what the mission ships did in the North Sea.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Seamans' mission Barry Dock.

Up in the valley's of Wales, people remember the pit heads and the pit head bar, many see them now as a supermarket or similar. YouTube - Max Boyce - Duw it's Hard

No song to remember the Seamens' Mission.

Duw it's Hard

http://www.loft-co.com/brochures/seamans_mission.pdf

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 25th April 2011 at 06:12 PM.

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Patricia,its not a good idea or safe to put your email address on the board as scammers can find it and you will be bombarded with spam. I suggest you remove it and have people contact by PM.

John.

10. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At some time I think most of us took advantage of the Missions. sadly many are now gone but the remaining ones still do a great job. Here in Melbourne the Mission bus goes to most ships as the arrive bringing crew back to the mission so they can avail themseves of such things as e-mail, or purchase phone cards, maybe get a drink as some ships are now dry. It certainly would have been a very different world without them.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ivan,

Once again you have supplied me with useful information for which I thank you most kindly. I appreciate the time and effort that goes into the replies, parts of which will be quoted in my dissertation. The information backs up the published literature and provides an added dimension and I am very grateful.

However, if you think of anything else that might be of use please contact me.

Kindest regards,

Patricia

14. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello John,

Thank you for your advice about the e-mail and I shall remove it directly as you suggest although my mac.com address does filter out spam so I've never been troubled by it. Nonetheless, I shall heed your advice and thank you.

Regards,

Patricia

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gosh that's a blast from the past. I used to go to Rugby Club dances and remember Max Boyce songs with affection although sadly I threw away my vinyl records years ago.

Patricia

18. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you again for your response. I have read the information about the Liverpool Sailor's home both in the published books, literature and the website. I've also visited the Maritime Museum archives but I'm really after stories of the sailor's experiences staying at the Missions or alternatively choosing not to stay there and why.

Kind regards,

Patricia

20. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast