Thread: special present for the bosun

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default special present for the bosun

hi all
    i am the son of a retired seaman.my dad tony[dennis] twomey was in the merch from 1950 -1964.his discharge book is lost, i do however have a photo of the inside page with his number.does anyone know how i can obtain the information of his voyages.also i believe he is entitled to a medal of service for duties during the fifties.is this true , and can anyone help with info relating to these problems. i have lived in sydney for 25 years and to obtain this for him would be brilliant.
    cheers
    paddy twomey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

Hi Pat , your Dad may be able to get a Merchant seamans veterans badge from the ministry of defense , but he has to have been on a ship that was in service too the armed forces during military operations, as in delivering armaments during a war or uprising , if he remembers unloading suplies for truops then he mat be able too get it .MINISTRY OF DEFENSE ,WHITEHALL, SW1AHB. good luck. Nev.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1941 to 1972 Fifth Register of Merchant Seaman's Service

These records are held at The National Archives in classification BT 382. The Fifth Register of Seaman’s Service 1941 to 1972.

Records of individual Merchant Seamen's sea service details are held in alphabetical surname order. These details include the following information: Name of seaman, Date and place of birth, Discharge (Seaman’s) book number, Rank, Details of the ships on which he served. These include:

Name of ship and official number, date of engagement (Joining ship), Date of discharge (Leaving ship), whether ship was a foreign going of home trade vessel, and records in some cases National Insurance contributions. Details shown in these records are similar to those contained in an individual seaman's discharge book.

Your dads file should be held in BT 382/2997 covering the surnames "Twohey G A to Tziapouras M" Click link below for ordering and viewing options. Please note these records are quite expensive to order using the archives research team and would cost around £45-£50.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...F=bt382%2F2997

If this is his date and place of birth and Dis.A No. R529917 TWOMEY D 13/07/1929 CORK then there is a copy of his Seaman's Pouch at Kew in BT 372/1318/45. Again click link below. These files are hit and miss and sometimes contain little information, but usually a photo of the individual from their ID card. You would need to request an estimate for this file.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...accessmethod=0

There were three medals issued to Merchant Seamen during his time at sea, but depends on if he served in the given theatres.

Naval General service Medal/Near East Clasp (Suez). Service 1 day or more between 31/10/1956 & 22/12/1956.

British Korea Medal. Service 28 days between 02/7/1950 & 27/7/1953.

Naval General service Medal/Borneo Clasp. Service 30 days between 24/12/1962 & 11/8/1966
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    Hi Pat , your Dad may be able to get a Merchant seamans veterans badge from the ministry of defense , but he has to have been on a ship that was in service too the armed forces during military operations, as in delivering armaments during a war or uprising , if he remembers unloading suplies for truops then he mat be able too get it .MINISTRY OF DEFENSE ,WHITEHALL, SW1AHB. good luck. Nev.
    The Merchant Navy Veterans badge is not issued by the MOD. Applications should be sent to Tim Brant at the following address:

Merchant Navy Association
    9 Saxon Way
    Caistor
    Market Rasen
    LN7 6SG.

Application form to download from link here.

http://www.mna.org.uk/Veterans%20Badge.htm
    Last edited by DeepSea; 17th March 2011 at 08:14 PM.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default thanks lads

thanks for all your help, im chasing all the info now i will keep you posted
    cheers
    paddy