Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

A First Tripper

12 Comments by Brett Hayes Published on 12th November 2022 04:09 PM
    My First Trip.

I remember leaving a Seamen’s Mission in London in autumn 1968. (I’m afraid the address eludes me, and sadly it no longer exists). After an early breakfast, I boarded a coach with a lot of unfamiliar men (ABs, stewards, firemen and cooks) travelling one dark wintry morning out of the city towards Gatwick airport.

Not having flown before, and my sole experience of going to sea having been an occasional summer jaunt from Swansea docks to Ilfracombe on the Bristol or Cardiff Queen — both venerable paddle-steamers of the White Funnel line — the experience would be completely new to me..

We boarded the aeroplane and proceeded to taxi out. I watched the propellers whirring round faster and faster as the craft began to accelerate down the runway, and I became terrified as I saw the wings flexing up and down. I thought they were going to break off and wanted to shout for the steward, but nobody else seemed alarmed, so I bit my tongue and held my breath. What I didn’t know was that we’d all come from the same shipping-pool near Aldgate East, close to a well-known seamen’s pub called the Princess of Prussia (where I was told the landlord would take “advance-notes”, and charge a commission for the service). My soon-to-be shipmates were seasoned travellers, and I quickly learned why they’d earned the nickname of the “Dock Street Commandos.”

We came to earth in Denmark and headed for a port called Fredericia. Here was my first ship — alongside gantries on an oil-stained, smelly quayside — a tanker called the ST William Wheelwright. She had a yellow funnel, and an AB told me that she was a Royal Mail Lines vessel on charter to Shell. I was a lowly DHU, but I felt a sense of pride as I walked down the sailors’ alleyway and saw above my cabin door, these words cold-punched in steel: Certified For One Seaman. I felt that I had arrived. I was now a proper seafarer, but not only that — I had a whole cabin to myself.

The next the day, I got to know a bit about the vessel and the crew. She had just recently discharged a cargo of crude oil and had been out, or so we were told, for some six months, which helped to explain why she was taking on a new crowd.

I don’t remember what trifling sort of jobs we did before sailing, but I have a vivid memory of going ashore with the OS on the first night for a few bevvies.

Afterwards we popped in to a local flix and I was shocked at seeing my first “blue movie”. What amazed me as well was that on this Saturday evening there were local Danes watching it without batting an eyelid, without any sense of embarrassment at all. I felt that I had lived a protected life up until that point.

Unfortunately, we’d been accidentally overmanned by the British Shipping Federation office in Dock Street, and this led to the most junior rating, my mate, the OS, having to be flown home. This led to a bit of sourness, as one of the ABs felt that I should have been the one to get the chop, not the OS. But I’m afraid it was all above my head. I could do nothing about it.

The following evening, we singled up and cast off. I was sent aft on stations under the command of the second mate. After we’d stowed the mooring-lines (another first for me) I felt the sea begin to move beneath my feet as we reached open water. We were to sail through the Kattegat and the strait of Skagerrak, maritime areas which, to me up until then, had merely been names on a geography atlas.

I had to get up at the unearthly hour of half past eleven to be ready to do my first lookout on the ship’s bridge. For my sins, I was a smoker in those days, and on that night unfortunately a bit absent-minded. As I rounded the aft accommodation and started to walk towards the mid section of the ship, I suddenly realised that I had a cigarette in my hand. Like an idiot, I panicked, threw it down and stubbed it out with my foot. The butt fell between the wooden slats of the catwalk to hit the steel deck, scattering sparks everywhere! And she was gas-freeing! All the tank-tops were open! God, I thought, my first trip to sea and I’ve nearly blown up the ship! All the sailors screaming and on fire and the tanker going down in flames! And me standing there awestruck, helpless as my shipmates perished before my very eyes! But thankfully nothing catastrophic happened. The sailors were still safely asleep in their bunks and the ship was still afloat. Thank God, I thought. And I never ever went on lookout again with a rollup or a duty-free fag in my hand.

On reaching the bridge, I reported for duty and was told to stand on the leeside wing and to tell the second mate if I saw the lights of another ship or perhaps a lighthouse. So I stared across the wide, black expanse of the sea, straining to see signs of life in the darkness. I discovered that I couldn’t see a ship at all, but merely faint pinpoints of light. (I had spent two weeks in the training school in Saint Katharine Dock by Tower Bridge that August to learn some basic sailorising skills, so I felt I that I knew enough to say with confidence if a ship was, for instance, two points off the port bow or dead ahead.) It felt like a long watch and I was glad to put my relief on the shake for the four-to-eight before getting my head down. What a first night at sea that was!

While proceeding south through the Bay of Biscay, we spent most of our time tank-cleaning. I became familiar with the only buccaneer I would ever meet. He went by the handle of Victor Pyrate. This was the name of the manufacturer of the hosing equpment used to clean the tanks. To do this involved removing a steel plate bolted to the deck and partially inserting a long, thick hose into the tank. This was then lashed securely to hold it in place. At the end of the hoseline was a nozzle designed to revolve under water pressure. As it span round, it blasted residual oil off the insides of the tanks. (This would be pumped off to a sludge-tank in the stern.) As cleaning progressed, the hose would be switched off, lowered, re-lashed and switched on again.

On clearing the coast of Spain, we headed east into the Mediterranean. ThIs was my first sight of another famous geographical feature, the Rock of Gibraltar. I began to feel like a real sailor now. Wait till I tell the folks back home of my travels! And in addition, the first mate would supervise me in my first attempts at steering the ship. After the required number of hours of uneventful cruising through a peaceful Mediterranean at the helm of a real-life tanker, I was deemed worthy enough to be issued with my treasured steering-ticket. Another “rite of passage”, as it were, was having to wash my own clothes in one the ship’s washing-machines. Here I was introduced to the word, “soogieing” (pronounced “soojaying”) which I would soon learn also applied to washing paintwork with a cloth and fresh water.

One day, I was to witness something “hush-hush”. The ship’s carpenter had been ordered to make a frame out of two pieces of 2” by 2” timber.. A sheet of canvas was nailed to it. A section of safety rail was then removed and the sheet hung over the side, after being lashed to adjoining rails. A huge barrel, some 45 imperial gallons (I wasn’t sure if it was crude or old engine oil) was tipped over the side. I assumed the canvas frame was meant to keep the ship’s side clear of oil stains, in case any port authorities would spot it. I couldn’t help but wonder how much marine life like birds might die as a result of this illegal dumping.

Something far less unpleasant was the novelty, to me, of feeding well. Unlike the lunchtime mug of tea and a sandwich I’d been used to in my previous job, every day at sea I had fruit juice, cereal or porridge followed by a cooked breakfast with tea and toast, then a four-course lunch and a four-course tea (what I’d always known as supper). And if we were in the chief cook’s good books, we’d find some tabnabs (or pastries) in the mess when we had a spell from work that I discovered was known as a “smoko”. Not only that, but there was fruit juice, cold meat and cheese in the fridge every night. By the way, one posh word on the menu, and utterly new to me, was the French word “entrée”, which was another meal between the starter and the main course. I thought, this is the life! I’d never eaten so well before, except for a Sunday roast or Christmas dinner at home. And I had it every day, and it was free — although this didn’t stop some of the hands from having a moan now and again. God, I thought, those guys must stay at the Ritz when they’re on leave! And I mustn’t forget to mention the sun and stripping to the waist and getting a tan while doing a bit of painting — something I could never have done if I’d been back enduring the cold, wintry weather of London.

We never made landfall that trip, so none of us could have a run ashore. (This was the first and only time it would ever happen to me in my relatively short career at sea.)

I must describe seeing, for the first time, the fins of basking sharks seemingly unmoving in the waters of the still, blue Mediterranean. Until I was told what they were, I wondered what they could be because from a distance they looked just like black tins floating on the surface.

When we reached our destination off the Libyan coast near the port of Tripoli, we were moored to a buoy to pick up an offshore pipeline and load a full cargo of crude oil. One day, while chatting on the poop, I was thrilled to be given a fresh orange that still had green leaves on it! I had never seen an orange with leaves before. And another thrill was seeing a turtle in the water, not far from where we were moored to the buoy. It was swimming about with its head just above the water.

But, all too soon, we had filled up our tanks and an Arab launch had come out to detach the huge, black rubber oil-pipe. Slipping our moorings, we got under way again. We heard on the grapevine that we were destined to return to the UK, much to the relief of some of the ratings, because they feared being away for six months just like the previous crew. But after six weeks at sea, having gone past the now-not-so-exciting Rock of Gibraltar and sailing north up through the Bay of Biscay, we were to pay off in a damp, dark, rainblown Middlesbrough. As I was going to walk down the gangway in my navy blue donkey-jacket for the last time, I was good-naturedly ribbed by the bosun for carrying my working-gear in a white, canvas kitbag slung over my shoulder, while most of the seasoned ABs carried posh suitcases and were dressed up in smart suits and overcoats. With a chuckle, he said that I reminded him of Popeye, but I think nevertheless that he was rather wistful on seeing me go.

However, one surprise would still await me. I was absolutely taken aback by it. I had forgotten that I hadn’t seen a member of the opposite sex for a long time. I still have a vivid memory of my reaction upon seeing the first woman I had set eyes upon for six weeks. I thought for a moment that she was the only female on Earth — absolutely alluring and unbelievably gorgeous! I just couldn’t get over it. But with a shedful of cash in my pocket (which wouldn’t last long) and a free rail-pass, I eventually caught a train home to enjoy a week or so’s leave before I’d have to head back to the pool at Dock Street for a new ship and, hopefully, my next adventure.

Brett Hayes EDH
    (R863743)
    Last edited by Brian Probetts (Site Admin); 14th November 2022 at 10:41 PM.

2. Total Comments 12

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A First Tripper

Great Article Brett, and thank you for the Memories, the sort of thing we need more of on this great site!
    Cheers

You mention earlier times that you visited Ilfracombe, waht a lovely place that was. I worked there at the old Ilfracombe Hotel as a Live In Waiter , and had great times .
    Remember going up Capstan Hill with my then Lady Firend, sitting there just watching the Ships go by, it had a great View,
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 14th November 2022 at 12:03 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brett thanks for an interesting article, our first trip, who can forget?.i went to sea just a few years earlier than yourself, 1958, a lowly green deck boy. you say you spent some days in St Katharines Dock for some training as a DHU, i think that would have been the same place within the Dock that i took my ABs certificate. it always interests me how you became a DHU, was it advertised etc, a very good friend of my did a trip as a DHU, he just applied to a shipping company. As you obviously found out, a DHU was frowned on by most, because the wage was above a SOS who had been at sea at least 18 months. It sounds as if there were more of you in St Kats, so must have been some sort of recruitment. Just interested after all these years, and nice to read your story. kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brett
    That sounds very much similar to my first trip to sea in 1967, again on a crude oil tanker. I was a cadet on a Canadian Pacific crude oil tanker on charter to shell. I joined in Tranmere and we went in ballast to some god forsaken island in the Persian gulf to load crude at halul? Island. The description of tank cleaning was the same for me, humping those hoses around and using hot water to wash the cargo tanks and after gas freeing them going down into them to dig out any remaining sludge and dump it over the side. My days started at 06:00 cleaning the wheelhouse and polishing any brass work, chipping and painting decks with the Spanish crew and being taught how to splice rope and wire by the Spanish bosun, working with the 3rd mate carrying out lifeboat and safety gear maintenance. Evenings spent learning to steer and like you gaining my steering certificate, weekends spent learning the collision regulations and Morse code.
    I spent 11 months on that ship going between Europe and the Persian gulf occasionally also loading at some offshore loading port in North Africa. The only break in that 11 months was when we spent a fortnight in Lisbon drydock. Like you I eventually paid off in Middlesbrough.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1 Hi Brett, maybe the London Seaman's Mission was on Buckingham Palace Road known as 'The Stack of Bricks' tis a palace of hell where a seaman can dwell.....not really as it was quite a posh mission.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brett.
    I'm from Garden Village, my sister and husband Ivan Bevan lived in Loughor; you may have known the Bevans, Gareth was a Welsh champion and had one of the best boxing clubs in the UK.
    Enjoyed your writeup about your first trip. Thanks
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A very good read and like others similar to my first trip from Falmouth to Venezuala on the British Energy in 1964. Short trip but I was so proud to get the stamp in my discharge book. Double VG of course, but things would change in that regard as my experiences got me into more and more trouble. Wouldn't change a thing though as my years were the golden ones and now long gone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Brett.
    I'm from Garden Village, my sister and husband Ivan Bevan lived in Loughor; you may have known the Bevans, Gareth was a Welsh champion and had one of the best boxing clubs in the UK.
    Enjoyed your writeup about your first trip. Thanks
    Des
    Dear Des, thank you for your comments and enquiry regarding Ivan Bevan. I remember an Eifion Bevan of Loughor who died about two years ago. Sadly, I heard this morning that his brother, Elfed Wyn Bevan, (“Lex”) has died on the 11th, November.
    All best,
    Brett

10. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder however if this was 1958 rather than a couple of years later. The Wiiam Wheelwright was a PSNC tanker and one of two tankers owned by the PSNC (all yellow funnels), about 48,000 tons deadweight, very large in those days, The other tanker at that time was the George Peacock ( I was uncertified 4th Mate and cadet on each and finished my apprenticeship in 1963. Three years Uk to Latin America and 9 months on the tankers to the Gulf, Australia, Europe. Now retired in Switzerland after the rest of my career spent worldwide in the tobacco industry. No regrets! Chris Newton

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bret.
    Eifion's daughter told us about Eifion, but thanks, didn't know Elved, met him in the Legion on a trip home, but thanks for letting me know.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast