Nov 2021
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Inspiration of the Albatross

17 Comments by David mullins Published on 14th July 2022 05:07 PM
    Unlike the Atlantic Western ocean, keeping a deep sea bridge watch for many years on a four on, eight off basis particularly in long distance Pacific voyages did become, as many know, somewhat boring.
    On the other hand, I did spend some time with Manchester Liners and on several occasions endured numerous watches of sheer nail biting terror.

Whether it’s still in practice or not, there was a prize of a silver cane presented by the Canadian Government to the first ship of the year to transit the St Lawrence river to Montreal and ML Skippers were all desperate to get their hands on one.
    despite warnings of sea ice in the locality, there were many occasions I’d report for bridge watch to find the skipper sat on a chair staring through the wheelhouse windows towards the bow into thick Grand Banks fog whilst the engine was running at full speed. Many ML ships would have an AB on watch in thick fog on the focsle head and I often wondered, how far up the foredeck he would get before we hit the berg.
    During the long Pacific voyages particularly in the southern sector I would watch in utter amazement as almost motionless in movement the Albatross glided inches from the wing of the bridge. Hardly any movement of wings, just the occasional glance in my direction.
    What a gift to have I thought, if only man could undertake this type of flight.

I eventually swallowed the anchor in the mid sixties after getting married in NZ and returning to the UK. The shock of becoming a landlubber was deep rooted and I struggled trying to adapt to this new way of life. As a sweetener I promising myself I’d give it one more month before going back to sea.
    Reading the local newspaper one evening, I noticed an advert for a skydiving group in Manchester who were looking for new members. The club was in Bridge Street Manchester where they shared the club premises with British Rail police.
    After joining the club and becoming a member of the British Parachute Association, I commenced the training programme and eventually made my first descent at Halfpenny Green airport in Wolverhampton. The first jump was a static line type which effectively facilitates the aircraft to pull the canopy out of the pack when leaving the aircraft. Three static line jumps are completed before one is allowed to pull the D ring and open one’s own parachute. Initially it’s “clear and pull” followed by a 5 second delay and so forth.
    This was the medication I desperately needed to quell my sea addiction.
    Later whilst high level skydiving I thought of the beautiful Albatross that inspired me and broke the stalemate of shoreline.
    Many years later I became a pilot and undertook a course in aerobatics and my love for flight equalled my love for the sea.

2. Total Comments 17

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Inspiration of the Albatross

Hi David.
    Having spent six years on the NZ coast mainly running between NZ and Aus, I saw many of those beutiful Albatross, and as all lookouts on Kiwi ships were on the wing of the bridge I experienced the same as you, at times I could have reached out and touched them, not that I would have tried with those big beaks, lovely lovely birds.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few years ago myself and wife spent 2 months touring NZ, just had a hire car, and for that time just took life as it came. If we liked the place we stayed a few days, if not we just moved on, it was wonderful. While down the bottom of South Island we went to the Albatross centre, and saw the Albatross close up, they were nesting at that time. i had taken numerous photos of the Albatross skimming our stern when at sea, but in the photos could never show their real size. During the visit to the centre, you hear a lecture on them, how they stay at sea for 2 years etc, one of the many things i did not know about them is that they have an inbuilt desalinator in the scull. Truly beautiful birds. kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Des, wonder if we ever crossed paths in NZ. I too was on the NZ coast between 62 and 64. I was on the Kaimanawa, Kaituna, Puriri and the Taupata. Sailed mostly out of Wellington where I lived. Great ships, great crews, great eaters.
    David

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Used to wonder how they could stay in the air without any movement of their wings.
    Albatross by Fleetwood Mac was in the charts when I first saw one on my first trip and when I hear that music I can still see them gliding astern
    Regards Michael
    Last edited by Michael Black; 15th July 2022 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The albatross is supposed to be a lucky bird for seafarers, yet in a journal I have of a voyage under sail from Swansea to San Francisco written in the 1870's, the crew regularly caught and ate albatross.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    The albatross is supposed to be a lucky bird for seafarers, yet in a journal I have of a voyage under sail from Swansea to San Francisco written in the 1870's, the crew regularly caught and ate albatross.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    I wonder what they tasted like, I sitting on the poop one day having a chat with the casab, we were alongside in Tranmere at the time. The seagulls were having a good go in the gash barrels hanging over the rails. We spotted the young chinese galley boy (looked about 12 years old) sneaking up on them with a donkey jacket help open and actually caught this big herring gull. A big tussle then ensued as the bird was stronger than the galley boy, but he eventually overcame it and looked up at us having a great laugh, poor little sod was worn out. The casab said something to him in chinese and the kid reluctantly let the bird go free and wandered off looking very sorry for himself. I asked what he had saud to the kid and he replied that seagull was not good chow, have you tried one then I asked, yes he said, very salty, no good chow.
    The same kid went ashore later and came back with a lot of tinned dog food, he thought it was canned dog as it had a dog picture on the label. That amused the crowd no end.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7 Icelandic trawlermen seem to like eating seagulls. I've seen them cast a net over a group (colony) of seabirds and drag them aboard four or five at a time. I guess they pluck and cook them.

10. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by David mullins View Post
    Hi Des, wonder if we ever crossed paths in NZ. I too was on the NZ coast between 62 and 64. I was on the Kaimanawa, Kaituna, Puriri and the Taupata. Sailed mostly out of Wellington where I lived. Great ships, great crews, great eaters.
    David
    Hi Dave.
    We may never know, I sailed out of Wellington on the Waimate in May 58, went to Picton to pick up a circus, back to Wellington, caught Quinsy went into hospital and missed out on a trip to the States, the only other one I joined in Wellington was the Waipori, paid off in Dunedin. Sailed mostly out of Auckland, except for a couple on the Calm out of Lyttleton. Have you read the USS posts in the shipping Companies in the forums?
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

12. Thanks David mullins thanked for this post
    Likes Michael Black liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Copley View Post
    #7 Icelandic trawlermen seem to like eating seagulls. I've seen them cast a net over a group (colony) of seabirds and drag them aboard four or five at a time. I guess they pluck and cook them.
    A curry house on ocean road south shields was found to have swans in there fridge after the SWAN UPPER noticed there was some going missing .....a great delicasy in the time of henry the 8.....ps what the fecks a swan upper.....cappy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast